BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

A serious Football Club with a proper DoF makes one of Anel, Davies or Van Hecke happen.

A club with a setup like ours wastes £2.5m on an average centre back from Coventry.

If reports are to be believed, that's potentially £5m on Szmodics and Hyam combined. That's £5m down the pan, IMO.

Davies went to Rangers who are playing Champions league football now. Sheffield United out bid on wages for Anel where we couldn't match them. those are the facts of the matter. 

Brighton don't want to loan or sell Van Hecke at the minute. So how do you sign him by over paying for him? 

• Like 1

Unsure what to make of the Hyam potential deal. Coventry are one of Sky's less fancied teams and they concede a lot of goals as a team and have a number of quite slow centre backs in Hyam, Rose and McFadzean.

I always think it is useful to gauge opinions of the fans who have seen him week in, week out. Like with Szmodics, there is a common theme that they would rather sell him than others in the squad and that the fee is decent, albeit they certainly aren't as keen as Peterborough fans were to let him go and they are very commonly suggesting that he is their best defender and would leave a big hole. 

Style wise, his lack of pace and limitations on the ball don't really tally with the supposed fluid, energetic style that we want to play (perhaps a symptom of not having the manager choose the players?) but as a more no nonsense defender, hopefully he likes to keep clean sheets, more than he has in the last 2 seasons!

He would be a permanent signing, is a good age being experienced but also coming into his peak so that goes in his favour and he also has played consistently over the last 2 seasons at mid table Championship level.

The LT suggests that it could be Hyam only in defence with the deal for Van Den Berg who is very good at this level potentially falling through. I am not convinced that Hyam, Wharton, Ayala and Carter is anything other than a significant downgrade on last season. We also cannot hold off signing players to try and guarantee Phillips game time because he isn't ready for Championship football yet.

Could this deal not have been done a week or two earlier? Probably.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't this attitude of calling any player underwhelming even before he sign here. I really do despair with this sort of attitude from Follow Rovers fans. He has 88 championship games in 2 season and 4 games this season that been played. He has been key part of their success at Coventry including 2 promotions and he is only 26 years old so his prime years should be here

Compared to the other centre back signings we'd been linked with.  Hyam is an underwhelming option - whether you like to it or not. 

It's like us signing Bauer from Preston.  It's not a terrible signing but not as good as Anel or JPVH would be.  

Rovers do it every year- get linked with good players who we all get excited about but they never arrive.  Then up pops some left field signing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think this is relatively old news, a week or so old. Might have been some add ons incorporated but nevertheless might buy one leg.

Hopefully the owners treat that bid with the contempt it deserves. The worry is that they come in nearer the deadline with a more realistic offer. Hopefully no-one does.

If Broughton had have done his job and got a couple of decent striking options in, then maybe we'd have been in a position to entertain a (realistic) bid for BBD. As things stand surely we can't afford to lose him at this stage.

We will see at the end of the window what the spend is and whether there was ever good money for a couple of decent permanent striking options. I am not convinced that big money is there.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Has they been plenty of good quality free agents out there I not so sure. Might be a few out there but not loads of them. 

I have said they hasn't been alot of championship transfer business done in the last 2 weeks which is right. Teams who want players are waiting for them from PL like Boro did with that Fulham striker for weeks for example. 

why would Szmodics, Brittain and Morton given that they have already signed for us. 

I think we need 4 signings now and 5 if BBD goes. Its appears that Rovers want 2 centre backs, then I would look for another CM, Pressing striker and left side attacker to replace BBD if he does go. 

wrong, its trying to keep a positive mental attitude and half glass full approach instead of this negative or worried. I don't start worried about about anything and its a approach that has served me very well in the last 20 years of life. 

Initially it was 5 or 6, why has it now gone to 7 or 8? (The 3 already here plus 4 or 5)

No chance of 4 or 5 signings by the way.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't this attitude of calling any player underwhelming even before he sign here. I really do despair with this sort of attitude from Follow Rovers fans. He has 88 championship games in 2 season and 4 games this season that been played. He has been key part of their success at Coventry including 2 promotions and he is only 26 years old so his prime years should be here

Why does it always come down to pigeon holing people as "negative" or having the wrong attitude should a potential signing not excite them.

Why can't someone pass comment on a player prior to signing, assuming of course that they are open minded to changing that view if and when he joins?

If we tried to spend big money on Yakubu right now, would you comment on that being underwhelming or refuse to say anything w

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Compared to the other centre back signings we'd been linked with.  Hyam is an underwhelming option - whether you like to it or not. 

It's like us signing Bauer from Preston.  It's not a terrible signing but not as good as Anel or JPVH would be.  

Rovers do it every year- get linked with good players who we all get excited about but they never arrive.  Then up pops some left field signing.

We where clambebering to sign Bauer a few years ago before he chose Preston over us. Didnt we offer around 3mill? And most of us really wanted him to sign at the time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i honestly think if venkys gave jdt half a billion quid to spend and he bought 11 internationals there would still be moaners on here🤔

Because doubts are raised as to a potential signing of a Coventry signing as clearly 4th or 5th choice (Anel, Davies, Van Hecke, Van Den Berg) signing, you have come to the above conclusion?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i honestly think if venkys gave jdt half a billion quid to spend and he bought 11 internationals there would still be moaners on here🤔

There would be no complaints if these were quality players, like people are telling us to be patient and wait for.

These are not quality players.

Spending these potential amounts on the likes of Szmodics and Hyam is actually alarming, in my view, anyway.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Style wise, his lack of pace and limitations on the ball don't really tally with the supposed fluid, energetic style that we want to play (perhaps a symptom of not having the manager choose the players?) but as a more no nonsense defender, hopefully he likes to keep clean sheets, more than he has in the last 2 seasons!

Do you really think JDT has signed off with us bringing him in given his previous comments when he was unveiled that he has say yes to any signing coming in? you enjoyed suggesting problems with the DoF/Head coach structure when they isn't one don't you?

Does Ayala have pace? 

He would be a permanent signing, is a good age being experienced but also coming into his peak so that goes in his favour and he also has played consistently over the last 2 seasons at mid table Championship level.

exactly. exactly and played regular over the last 2 years

clearly not cos the deal would have been done otherwise

10 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

A serious Football Club with a proper DoF makes one of Anel, Davies or Van Hecke happen.

A club with a setup like ours wastes £2.5m on an average centre back from Coventry.

If reports are to be believed, that's potentially £5m on Szmodics and Hyam combined. That's £5m down the pan, IMO.

Comments like these are why I sometimes sympathise with the club. Trashing a potential new player before he’s even through the door.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Seems unlikely- I don’t think we need to be calling everyone moaners just for having a different opinion to be fair.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't this attitude of calling any player underwhelming even before he sign here. I really do despair with this sort of attitude from Follow Rovers fans. He has 88 championship games in 2 season and 2 games this season that been played. He has been key part of their success at Coventry including 2 promotions and he is only 26 years old so his prime years should be here

So why sell to a Championship rival if his club rates him?

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Exactly. Players dismissed before a ball is even kicked. I remember the bitching and moaning last year when we signed van hecke...

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Do you really think JDT has signed off with us bringing him in given his previous comments when he was unveiled that he has say yes to any signing coming in? you enjoyed suggesting problems with the DoF/Head coach structure when they isn't one don't you?

Does Ayala have pace? 

exactly. exactly and played regular over the last 2 years

clearly not cos the deal would have been done otherwise

No, Ayala doesn't have pace. Ayala is limited on the ball and is massively injury prone. Excellent defender at this level though.

From the limited times I have seen Hyam and what I have gathered, there are numerous positives and negatives to him too:

Good injury record, probably the best defender at a similar Championship club, good experience, good age, permanent transfer

Not the quickest and limited on the ball which goes against our supposed intended style, potentially harms the Van Den Berg deal

Problem being, you only consider the positives, and shout people down who dare suggest any doubts, whilst repeating how your "glass half full" attitude has seen you do so well in life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

No, Ayala doesn't have pace. Ayala is limited on the ball and is massively injury prone. Excellent defender at this level though.

From the limited times I have seen Hyam and what I have gathered, there are numerous positives and negatives to him too:

Good injury record, probably the best defender at a similar Championship club, good experience, good age, permanent transfer

Not the quickest and limited on the ball which goes against our supposed intended style, potentially harms the Van Den Berg deal

Problem being, you only consider the positives, and shout people down who dare suggest any doubts, whilst repeating how your "glass half full" attitude has seen you do so well in life.

I think Ive read that he is good at bringing the ball forward from CB position

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Unsure what to make of the Hyam potential deal. Coventry are one of Sky's less fancied teams and they concede a lot of goals as a team and have a number of quite slow centre backs in Hyam, Rose and McFadzean.

I always think it is useful to gauge opinions of the fans who have seen him week in, week out. Like with Szmodics, there is a common theme that they would rather sell him than others in the squad and that the fee is decent, albeit they certainly aren't as keen as Peterborough fans were to let him go and they are very commonly suggesting that he is their best defender and would leave a big hole. 

The LT suggests that it could be Hyam only in defence with the deal for Van Den Berg who is very good at this level potentially falling through. I am not convinced that Hyam, Wharton, Ayala and Carter is anything other than a significant downgrade on last season. We also cannot hold off signing players to try and guarantee Phillips game time because he isn't ready for Championship football yet.

You said he has limitations on the ball, have you seen him play? I’ll be honest I haven’t. However someone sent an excellent link a few pages and it showed that he is in the top 5% of players in this league for progressive passes.

based on what I have read he is not really a Lenihan style player. So with him Ayala, Wharton, Carter and Phillips we would have enough CBs. He is also comfortable in a back 3 another advantage.

EE2F5626-151F-4C85-8F7B-CE1D410BD443.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Exactly. Players dismissed before a ball is even kicked. I remember the bitching and moaning last year when we signed van hecke...

Great example of a player who was unanimously rated once he got going, so shows that questioning a signing on here is fine as long as people are open minded enough to change those doubts should performances dictate, which they clearly are.

• Like 3

What i do not understand is why this deal will hamper the VDB deal? It was always clear we were looking for two CBs, one perm and one loan. VDB will be ahead of Carter and Phillips - plus he will get in a back 3. Ayala will need rotating if he wants to stay fit (he wont anyway). VDB will get plenty of time - plus can cover RB. 

Hes interesting.  Born in Scotland but only because his father was stationed there. Move to England at 18 months. Has played for Scotland under age group. He does score 1 or 2 goals. Before Coventry he played mostly non league lower league football.  He might be a late bloomer