BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Steven Caulker wouldn’t be a bad signing. 

Wages will be relatively low, no fee and has turned his career around since he was open about his depression and gambling addiction.

He’s been a top performer in Turkey over the last few years (so much so he got a move to Fenerbahce which didn’t work out for whatever reason).

Experienced, played at a higher level than this previously and has something to prove when over here.

I’d prefer someone like JPvH on a permanent but that’s obviously unlikely so can see the merits in this.

• Like 5

I'd be happy with caulker as an 'and' signed - ie. At the end of the window you get a report that reads 'Blackburn rovers have been busy in the transfer window with the late signings of X,y,z and also picking up veteran journeyman Caulker on a free as defensive cover...'

If he's the headline then I withold comment on the grounds the mods have enough to be getting on with

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Don't see why.

Ayala, Wharton, Hyam & Carter with a backup body in Caulker is not excessive given Ayala's record.

Phillips should be kept around and used sparingly and cautiously while he gains experience.

Depends on if we are playing 2 or 3 cb's?

Reports suggested that Phillips wants assurances over playing time before signing a new deal (or signing one and then going on loan), thought Carter also said he wants regular football, either here or elsewhere if needs be.

Ayala's injury record is a concern (although he was basically fit for the whole of last season)

43 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If we sell players and don’t use the proceeds to improve the squad then that tends not to end well….

Captain obviously, but don’t devalue the importance of selling players to fund renewals for any players developing - the Travis, the Buckley’s, the Whartons.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Caulker is an absolutely terrible signing. Wes Brown 2.0. Quote me on it. 

He’s 30 not 36 and he’s played nearly 100 times in the championship. When you’ve got players like Barnes, Carter and Phillips - surely someone with experience is a good thing? 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I’m not totally against the Caulker signing, seems like he’s turned his career around over in Turkey. Having said that, we would still need another centre half, given his injury record. We don’t need two Ayalas…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Tells me they've been rebuffed on multiple targets if they've settled on him.

He will have been way down the list.

Disappointing signing on the face of it.

The only way this is anywhere close to acceptable is if he's happy to be a squad player. Many we've been linked with will want to play and I wouldn't want Wharton dropped. Plus we have to keep Phillips sweet so he signs up. 

Edited by Lucimo

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

He’s 30 not 36 and he’s played nearly 100 times in the championship. When you’ve got players like Barnes, Carter and Phillips - surely someone with experience is a good thing? 

You don’t want his experience around young players!!

• Like 2

I can get on board with Caulker if accompanied by someone like Hyam and if we don't flog Carter!

Leaves us with 5 centre backs, 1 of which is injury prone and 1 very young. We might also want to play 3 centre backs on occasion and gives us the depth to do that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Wouldn’t be the first or last to have issues and come back from them. May be a good example.

Youre welcome to write him off mind but as always I’ll happily get splinters. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

A little harsh to judge someone based on their past issues/mistakes. Lad seems to have got his career back on track since. If anything he can point that out to younger players as an example of what not to do.

• Like 9