BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

In the LT article about loans  out this morning it lists both Jake Batty and Lenny Cirino as training with the first team squad.  I wonder if one of them will be given a shot at left back/wing back shortly.  

I can't for one minute believe that JDT doesn't see that area as a weakness. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

Right back is a posit that worries me more than left back. Tomasson seemed quite coy when asked about Brittain's injury and we saw with our own eyes on Saturday we have no back up for him. Carter is a far better proposition as back up which speaks volumes about Rankin-Costello.

Im still trying to get my head around only 3 more in.. when morton signed or was it Sammy last? Either way the sticker book showed 5 spaces yet to fill? Now down to 3...and even bayes and the like are saying 2 more to go now

It baffles me a little bit, other deals might become available, we are aslo crying out for a LWB, a goalscoring No9 and a wide man.. 

At least 5 more in my eyes needed for us to really compete in this league 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Andy said:

As much as I like him, I'm not sure we need JPvH, if the Liverpool Van arrives - leaves us with a bit of an abundance of CBs.

Which is crazy considering how dire things looked in that area just a week or so ago.

Even with a back 3, it means that Wharton would no longer be a starter, which would be very harsh.

If BBD does go, it's imperative that we bring somebody in from an attacking perspective.

I'd never say no to van Hecke. Ayala's passing is almost as bad as his injury record.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

If Old Tone takes over Sunderland then the very least he can do is bid 3 million for Gallagher and take his wages off our books.

He owes us that much after last seasons debacle after Christmas.

Could be remembering wrong but I felt like he had a habit of signing/trying to sign players he'd worked with previously when he was here? 

JRC & Butterworth would love a move to Sunderland Mogga!

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Right back is a posit that worries me more than left back. Tomasson seemed quite coy when asked about Brittain's injury and we saw with our own eyes on Saturday we have no back up for him. Carter is a far better proposition as back up which speaks volumes about Rankin-Costello.

Carter and Sepp Van Berg kan play RB 

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That's why I mentioned Carter as an option. Given the toing and froing with Liverpool we can't bank on Van Den Berg coming here.

It seems like he is the one coming in, but can't be too sure. As Carter can play RB I would prefer a CB who could play LB/LWB, but I understand that both Pickering and Edun can do this job, even though Im not comfortable with it. 

It’s going to be very interesting to see how things pan out at centre back now. Players are arriving at the same time our injury crisis there seems to be easing.

For me the pecking order would currently look like this:

Hyam

Wharton

Ayala

Phillips

Carter

If Van Den Berg comes in on loan, I’d personally have him level pegging with Phillips, he’d start games where necessary but I’d use Phillips from the bench. Same if Van Hecke came in on loan (if he was a permanent signing he’d jump straight to the top). The parent clubs would obviously not be happy with this though. If we got both it would be madness really. I’m also working on the assumption Barnes is out for the season.

There are obviously injury and fitness concerns, but centre back looks like our area of most depth and quality, long long time since that’s been the case. For that reason I think a back 5 is preferable, there’s a lot of quality to keep happy there. Carter could well be off on loan again, and the Phillips situation could change depending on his contract situation.

I’m not sure about Van Den Berg or Carter as fullback cover. Whether we play in a 4 or a 5 our fullbacks are expected to do a lot of attacking and start pretty high up the pitch, in an emergency is one thing, but we do lack genuine backup for Brittain. Whatever happened to Pike? He was rated a year or 2 ago.

36 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Could be remembering wrong but I felt like he had a habit of signing/trying to sign players he'd worked with previously when he was here? 

JRC & Butterworth would love a move to Sunderland Mogga!

I think it's nailed on his first port of call for signings will be here.

1 minute ago, superniko said:

Good news on Hyam. He could be straight in on Wednesday as Ayala had his calf wrapped in a bandage at full time (likely just a precaution but the exact reason he needs resting on busy weeks)

But Hyam hasn't played that many games due to Coventry's pitch issues - another thread I know.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

In the LT article about loans  out this morning it lists both Jake Batty and Lenny Cirino as training with the first team squad.  I wonder if one of them will be given a shot at left back/wing back shortly.  

I can't for one minute believe that JDT doesn't see that area as a weakness. 

I would prefer Batty over Cirino, from what I saw of them last year.

• Like 4

I can't believe people are still referencing the sticker book for how many incomings we were definitely going to get.

Just because the media department came up with something different doesn't mean they had the DoF dictating their design decisions based off a set-in-stone transfer strategy.

• Like 7

Brittain, Szmodics and Hyam, have replaced the Fun Boy 3. 

Van den Berg replaces Van Hecke on loan. 

Wharton and Morton to step in/up to replace Johnson and Davenport. 

Hopefully Brereton stays with Hirst(?) giving us options up front,replacing Khadra. 

We're getting to the point where the squad is ready to hopefully push on from last season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's annoying that we have been desperate for a new centre half and it appears that the Hyam deal has been in the offing for some time. Stuck in an in tray somewhere in Pune perhaps?

I’m not sure where you’ve got this from, but it sounds on the website as if we tried for him early and where told no. Then they came back to us last week and said he was now available. So we turned it around in maximum 5 working days. 

• Like 2