BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

56 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

They've always been like this though. Don't seem overly worried about losing money, but not really willing to invest significant amounts above the operating cost of the club (which is still a £20m loss to them every year, so we can hardly complain) and a modest transfer budget either. 

I don't really get it, but I wouldn't say keeping Diaz is out of line with their general approach for the last 5 years or so.

This one seemed rather more high profile to me and with a great chance to actively advertise but it's just a feeling. Perhaps I'm just a bit too euphoric and will come down to my typical despondency and cynicism here shortly. I just want to be happy.

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yeah but to be fair Dolan and Vale are just underwhelming full stop.  At least you got to the edge of your seat 😂

Dolan has had me on the edge of my seat plenty of times since he arrived. His form has dipped though and he needs better end product.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lot of random thoughts about this particular window. I'll put them down in no particular order:

I'd say it was a decent window rather than a sensational one. Think we missed out on most of our original targets, obviously started off after the CH who went to Sheff Utd then at one stage I believe we were after the 2 Van's, Styles and a lad from South America and ended up with completely different personnel instead, but we may not be too much the worse for that.

The main plus from this window for me by a country mile was keeping hold of BBD so well done to the owners on that. It may be a bit juvenile but I absolutely love it when PL Clubs and those from abroad come in thinking they can push us about and make derisory offers and end up getting the old two fingered salute.

As a few of us said right from the start of the window (and got derided for it) there was always a decent budget available for transfers irrespective of any BBD sale. I don't think anyone can complain at £6.5 m spent on fees, 3 loans and BBD still here. (Although I'm sure Gav and roversfan 99 will!) In my opinion that was some of the money spent that was made available to Mowbray in January had he choose to utilise it.

Individually, we've hopefully made a couple of solid signings in Hyam and Brittain.

Morton looks decent enough and the lad from Chelsea is intriguing, hopefully he can do a job at LB.

Very much doubt Hirst will do enough to make it worth our while signing him but as certain people might have mentioned once or twice we won't be stuck with him if it doesn't come off.

Think we've had our pants pulled down on Szmodics but hopefully Dack is returning to form.

So overall, more good than bad, not perfect but Rome wasn't built in a day and Mowbray and Waggott left us far too much to rectify in one window.

Onwards and upwards.

Stuttgart 

2 hours ago, Butty said:

I’m dreading that trip to the Stadium Of Light on Boxing Day, the Smug Ghost of Christmas Past ruining the festive period for us all. 

Or we win and go bat shit fecking crazy!

Sunderland are now a member of the mini league that we must top this season, the others being all from Lancs, I don't need to name them. We top that and we've had a very good season.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Vale seems to be preferred to Markanday so of the two I assume Markanday would be loaned out. Szmodics plays as a #10, same position as Dack. Hedges has looked his best playing there too - so it's 10 for 4 positions, really.

He seems to be rather cold on Markanday for some reason.  

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

You really think it makes zero sense to want to have a stronger squad than last season? Honestly?

Last season is last season

This is new start with new head coach in, half a different squad, new DoF appointed, new head of recruitment appointed, new footballing strategy in place as JDT keeps saying this is project. 

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Okay, with the window done and dusted, can someone explain what an option to buy is - im still confused. 

The loan comes to an end, at the end of the season. Option 1 is to send him back, the same as we did with Van Hecke for example. We can if we want thought, keep him, but to exercise that option, we have to then pay the already agreed transfer fee. 

• Like 1

Only way I can think brereton signs a contract is a rather hefty wage rise for this season and a low price clause that allows him room for negotiating a good wage and sign on fee. 
I still don’t see it, as somebody else said I can see him signing abroad in January to a Spanish side, Valencia or Villarreal would be my tips 

5 hours ago, rebelmswar said:

My main take away this transfer window is that the owners may not be using the club as a cash cow. Could have easily sold Diaz and done a runner. Maybe they are after more than moolah.

They put money in.

Every season.

Without it our working capital would dry up. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lraC said:

The loan comes to an end, at the end of the season. Option 1 is to send him back, the same as we did with Van Hecke for example. We can if we want thought, keep him, but to exercise that option, we have to then pay the already agreed transfer fee. 

I was joking - but thanks for the explanation lol

• Like 1

It is a risk for Brereton. A serious injury and that big signing on fee and large contract may not come. Then he is out of contract with us after that. Surely it makes sense to agree something here but with a release clause. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Dolan has had me on the edge of my seat plenty of times since he arrived. His form has dipped though and he needs better end product.

I’m on the edge of my seat too - bawling at him. The lad runs around like a blue arsed fly with the football brain to match

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Snap .

Honestly drives me mad watching him.

Slows everything down with needless touches 

Dolan never has one touch when four will do. Hedges is a bit the same and often hangs on to the ball too long. We used to play 2 touch football in training to speed up play and make us think quicker. Dolan wouldn’t be able to do it. 

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Dolan never has one touch when four will do. Hedges is a bit the same and often hangs on to the ball too long. We used to play 2 touch football in training to speed up play and make us think quicker. Dolan wouldn’t be able to do it. 

Harsh on Hedges. He’s been one of our best players so far this season. 

• Like 7

Just now, Gavrover said:

in terms of BBD stick him on 25k a week on a 2 year deal and in a 12 million buyout clause, clubs will stump that if he hits 20 again.  He gets to play international football for doing well with us and he's still only 23

Why would he do that? If he stays a free agent he can take a £3/4m signing on fee for himself when he moves on a free, on top of having more clubs to choose from. 

• Like 4

Can't believe the genuine disappointment from some that Brereton is still here, maybe I'm biased though as I was pretty much the only member in the Brereton fan club when times were tougher.

I presume Gus Williams has started full time now as he was due to join in August properly. The brief for him is simple now, find our new Brereton or preferably 2 of them!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Butty said:

I’m dreading that trip to the Stadium Of Light on Boxing Day, the Smug Ghost of Christmas Past ruining the festive period for us all. 

Or the perfect time to start the post Xmas death spiral mwahahaha

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4