BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Will they though? 

Although he's done well at Sheff Utd so far, i'm pretty sure Heckingbottom has been average to poor (at best) in his other managerial appointments?

If we'd have appointed him last season, i'm pretty sure this board would have gone into meltdown.

He’s got top level Championship players there. Strange appointment to make when parachute payments will soon run out and you need a swift return.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think anyone has said the wage bill has been reduced in the past 12 months but we got rid of a number of high wage earner who deserved to go and we went with younger squad which would natural be on lower wages. 

I said we need 6 signings which I would be looking on making 4 permanent signings and made 2 loan signings this summer. Sensible and logic approach whilst given James Brown, Ash Phillips, Jake Garrett and Jack Vale the opportunity to be in the first team squad this season

I am not sure that Armstrong, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe "deserved to go," more that we could no longer afford to keep any of them. But I digress.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Leeds are reportedly closing in on signing a winger from Feyenoord presumably to replace Raphinha, they also have Bamford back fit ahead of the new season. I can't see why they would go for Brereton.

Yes I know all that but I have believe Leeds are very much interested in him and been reported in the media. 

You need more than 1 striker as Leeds found out last season. Bamford be get injured this season. who knows

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

5-6m would be less than half of the Brereton potential proceeds so that would be somewhat sensible reinvestment without Tomasson being "backed" necessarily. 

well Forest could have a sell on clause so that could half of what we get for Ben Brereton. It would be sensible investment in the squad and the other half goes against the losses for the season. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I know all that but I have believe Leeds are very much interested in him and been reported in the media. 

You need more than 1 striker as Leeds found out last season. Bamford be get injured this season. who knows

well Forest could have a sell on clause so that could half of what we get for Ben Brereton. It would be sensible investment in the squad and the other half goes against the losses for the season. 

I haven't seen any links personally and even then, if he ever has been linked in the past, it was possibly the lazy Bielsa/Chile link. Would be a surprise to me.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure that Armstrong, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe "deserved to go," more that we could no longer afford to keep any of them. But I digress.

Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe was all here last season. I was talking about wages that Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Downing, Holtby was on. Then Armstrong being sold. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I haven't seen any links personally and even then, if he ever has been linked in the past, it was possibly the lazy Bielsa/Chile link. Would be a surprise to me.

The link was a week ago. 

Frankfurt and Lyon to enter transfer battle with Everton, Leeds and Bournemouth for Blackburn star Ben Brereton Diaz | The Sun

Bielsa left Leeds months ago. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know but he was initially linked when Bielsa was in charge. Seems that half of Europe "wants" him so maybe his agent is trying to get him out ASAP.

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Leeds will come in for Ben Brereton shortly. Given they need a striker/forward or 2. They have plenty of money to spend now

Just as an aside, but I think Leeds would be a good move for Ben. Wouldn’t begrudge him the move, either.

EDIT: I have Covid and having thought about this for a mere moment, that was the illness talking.

Edited by Bethnal

6 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Okay, so now he's not coming, we are all agreed that Anal Aphrodisiac is not actually the new Paolo Maldini and is in fact shit, and we didn't want him anyway 😉 

Why would we need Anel Whatsisname when we have Hayden Carder (sung to the tune of the Sherwood/Zidane situation of many moons ago) 😁

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Irish_Rover said:

Why would we need Anel Whatsisname when we have Hayden Carder (sung to the tune of the Sherwood/Zidane situation of many moons ago) 😁

And it would have been tough to find a song for Anel

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I expect him to sell Brereton before deadline day so the money can be reinvested into the squad. 

Sitting on £20m for 5 months and having to play Academy kids isn't going to benefit anyone.

But you can only sell if there are willing buyers. If the only buyer wants to leave it until the last day to buy at a bargain price what can you do?

The only option is to lower the price to a ridiculous level to entice buyers early which is something the owners will never do as they have their price and they will stick with it. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is the assumption always that it is FFP that is stopping Venkys from spending any more?

Because it literally imposes hard limits on what we can spend, which can no longer be easily circumvented, and we flew pretty close to the wind on it last year. I'm not sure why you and JH fight this point anymore.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Just a case of budgets….Sheffield United still receiving parachute payments and fill their ground every week!!

Our budget is £16m, wouldn’t be surprised if theirs is 4x or more! Interesting, I heard the PNE have cut theirs from £18m to £12m this season…finances tight outside of the parachute clubs! 

I don't understand this general meek acceptance that we can't compete with other championship clubs.

Where there's a will there's a way. Jack Walker would have found a way.

If we are truly limited by FFP ( I don't think we are ) then why are we wasting our time chasing highly paid players if we know we can't afford them ?

Maybe we should have appointed Ainsworth ( cheaper ) and let him bring in some grafters from the lower leagues if that is the market we are in.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Genuine question because I don't know the answer - Do losses for FFP purposes completely reset at the end of every three year cycle or are they calculated over the previous three seasons on a permanent rolling basis?

I believe it is on a rolling basis Rev