BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely not the suggestion I made and I suspect you are well aware of that.

Well then there had to be cut backs.

Maybe if Mowbray had been a bit more ruthless after the league one promotion and didn't recommend we handed out new contracts to ageing players like penny sweets we might have had a few more permanent deals this last 2 season .

• Like 4

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

No offence chaddy; but talk about a contradiction in terms!

Relax, it’s not as if the season is just over three weeks away 😉

It’s all s bit like a modern fairytale to me. Jon Dahl comes to England to help a club reach the promised land, armed only with a big smile and some magic beans.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Increase turnover?

Agree with that ,iv said this already and have criticized the owners and people on the ground over the way the club is run.

But we couldn't carry on running the wage bill the way it was.And the amount of money wasted in Pay offs and paying players wages for hardly any contribution was scary.

Il wait till the end of the window and see what buisness we do because unlike you I don't think I know beyond doubt that we won't spend any money this summer.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd sack Broughton if he sold Brereton on deadline day.

We can’t let him go for nothing at the end of the season, so unless there are early offers, any sensible team (like we do) leave it late to get him on the cheap. Consequently GB would have to sell him even if it is deadline day. If there is no solid bids before then what can you expect him to do? Football is a dog eat dog business. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

£3 Million, decent wages, we can ill afford to shoot our load on one player, however good he may look. We need 9 or 10 players.

Disappointing, but in the end probably the right decision to not over commit on the first signing 

It wasn't our decision to pull out on the grounds of financial prudence though, the player seemingly turned us down.

The bottom line is it seems this guy was a priority target for us and we've failed to land him. I was hoping for a massive improvement in the area of recruitment under the new regime.

Must also be massively disappointing for JDT who has worked with the player before. Not particularly encouraging going forward.

• Like 2

Just now, islander200 said:

Agree with that ,iv said this already and have criticized the owners and people on the ground over the way the club is run.

But we couldn't carry on running the wage bill the way it was.And the amount of money wasted in Pay offs and paying players wages for hardly any contribution was scary.

Il wait till the end of the window and see what buisness we do because unlike you I don't think I know beyond doubt that we won't spend any money this summer.

Oh I think we will spend SOME money. But I think it will be limited to a few hundred thousand perhaps on a couple of younger end ones like with Edun and Pickering.

I think however anyone seriously thinking that these owners or management would splash out £3 million on an international CB have the wrong end of the stick here.

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well then there had to be cut backs.

Maybe if Mowbray had been a bit more ruthless after the league one promotion and didn't recommend we handed out new contracts to ageing players like penny sweets we might have had a few more permanent deals this last 2 season .

My point was that I don't understand how anyone has come to the conclusion that FFP is stopping Venkys from spending more, ie that they have an active desire to spend more.

I particularly found the £50m quote funny, albeit I appreciate it was tongue in cheek.

My point did not in anyway provoke a post mortem over transfer dealings made in previous summers, at this present moment as illustrated by @Miller11 the wage bill will be massively, massively reduced at this present moment.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It wasn't our decision to pull out on the grounds of financial prudence though, the player seemingly turned us down.

The bottom line is it seems this guy was a priority target for us and we've failed to land him. I was hoping for a massive improvement in the area of recruitment under the new regime.

Must also be massively disappointing for JDT who has worked with the player before. Not particularly encouraging going forward.

It's a terrible start to what's been rumoured to be a big week. I hope by weekend it's looking more positive or all of GB's words will just seem like more hot air.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Genuine question because I don't know the answer - Do losses for FFP purposes completely reset at the end of every three year cycle or are they calculated over the previous three seasons on a permanent rolling basis?

From purely playing FM I think it's the latter.

Obviously just a game but it's quite an important part of the immersiveness, so I'd presume it's correct.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Genuine question because I don't know the answer - Do losses for FFP purposes completely reset at the end of every three year cycle or are they calculated over the previous three seasons on a permanent rolling basis?

rolling basis

The article in the LT that suggested potential new signings early this week did not suggest that this Bosnian was likely to be one of them:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20247477.blackburn-rovers-make-transfer-progress-ahead-first-friendly/

"while Sheffield United are thought to be leading the race for his signature."

I personally certainly have not got my hopes up regarding any imminent signings and would be pleasantly surprised if any come in this week, the article was very vague and seemed based more on hope than expectation. But thought I would mention that I don't suspect that Ahmedhodzic was one of the potentials earmarked in the LT.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't Sheff U have to worry about cutting costs to get their finances under control having failed to get promoted last year?

No cos they sold Aaron Ramsdale to Arsenal for around 25 millions plus only sign players on loan or free. Plus the PL parachute payments help aswell 

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I look at the wage bill - this has been demolished since last year.

The wage bill has decrease over the 12 months cos we move on a number of high earners and seen them replacing young players on lower wages. 

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Oh I think we will spend SOME money.

I think we will spend around 5 to 6 million but sell Ben Brereton for around 15 million plus adds on. I think Leeds will come in for Ben Brereton shortly. Given they need a striker/forward or 2. They have plenty of money to spend now

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No cos they sold Aaron Ramsdale to Arsenal for around 25 millions plus only sign players on loan or free. Plus the PL parachute payments help aswell 

The wage bill has decrease over the 12 months cos we move on a number of high earners and seen them replacing young players on lower wages. 

I think we will spend around 5 to 6 million but sell Ben Brereton for around 15 million plus adds on. I think Leeds will come in for Ben Brereton shortly. Given they need a striker/forward or 2. They have plenty of money to spend now

Leeds are reportedly closing in on signing a winger from Feyenoord presumably to replace Raphinha, they also have Bamford back fit ahead of the new season. I can't see why they would go for Brereton.

5-6m would be less than half of the Brereton potential proceeds so that would be somewhat sensible reinvestment without Tomasson being "backed" necessarily. 

1 minute ago, BigBar said:

The squad is paper thin. That is the reality. Back up keeper needed. A right back, 2 centre halves, a left back. 2 centre miss and a striker and possibly two. 

I'm surprised that some people are fine with this and expecting youth players to step up. I've seen some people saying even if there's a last minute sale of Brereton we'll be fine because Markanday is going to be a superstar.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point did not in anyway provoke a post mortem over transfer dealings made in previous summers, at this present moment as illustrated by @Miller11 the wage bill will be massively, massively reduced at this present moment.

I don't think anyone has said the wage bill has been reduced in the past 12 months but we got rid of a number of high wage earner who deserved to go and we went with younger squad which would natural be on lower wages. 

I said we need 6 signings which I would be looking on making 4 permanent signings and made 2 loan signings this summer. Sensible and logic approach whilst given James Brown, Ash Phillips, Jake Garrett and Jack Vale the opportunity to be in the first team squad this season

48 minutes ago, neophox said:

Well Done Sheffield then... they Will probably get promoted... we cant compete with this FFP.... 

Will they though? 

Although he's done well at Sheff Utd so far, i'm pretty sure Heckingbottom has been average to poor (at best) in his other managerial appointments?

If we'd have appointed him last season, i'm pretty sure this board would have gone into meltdown.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm surprised that some people are fine with this and expecting youth players to step up. I've seen some people saying even if there's a last minute sale of Brereton we'll be fine because Markanday is going to be a superstar.

Seems to be alot of self convincing going on. Need a few established players in, a few free agents and a few loans. Need to start to get the ball rolling and it's not a case of me being impatient but the clock is ticking. One or two should be arriving this week, they have had long enough.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

We can’t let him go for nothing at the end of the season, so unless there are early offers, any sensible team (like we do) leave it late to get him on the cheap. Consequently GB would have to sell him even if it is deadline day. If there is no solid bids before then what can you expect him to do? Football is a dog eat dog business. 

I expect him to sell Brereton before deadline day so the money can be reinvested into the squad. 

Sitting on £20m for 5 months and having to play Academy kids isn't going to benefit anyone.

it's interesting to me that i've seen no one mention, or there's been no discussion, about the possibility the private jet from malmo link could be spot on, but perhaps it was carrying a different malmo player..? it'd link up with "signings early this week" and we have been linked with a good few of their players now. perhaps the serbian winger, or berget, or both considering we've potentially splashed out for a private jet? or a lad we haven't heard of considering how under wraps everything has been so far! just a thought!

• Like 1