BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I only look on this thread occasionally but the lack of news and transfer activity makes it painfully obvious there is very little new money available to spend. New manager and his high hopes and all that but the signs are it's going to be a very difficult season. As it stands the squad is much weaker than the one that finished last season

I am not too sure I think there is clearly some finances available it just depends I don't think we should put ourselves in danger and overspend. Is the squad desperately weaker. If you compare appearance and quality of the players in the starting 11 it is debatable. Of course i am not silly I am aware the squad quality has deteriorated, however, I don't personally believe the starting 11 is desperately weaker to last year. 

Should Dack come back in to his usual self, we have a better player on our hands than Rothwell by a mile, Buckley could then play alongside Travis in CM. On the Wings Hedges showed some glimpses of what he is capable of, Dolan has now more games under his hands so should fill the void from Khadra. Markanday is an exciting prospect as well. In the defence Ayala is quality when fit but as Wharton showed you don't need vast amount of Championship experience to defend well. Carter has had glowing reviews from Pompey, and yes while we will miss a leader in Lenihan, Travis will be just as vocal. 

Right Back in the urgent one for me. Do we need bodies in the team? Of course we do, additions will be welcomed and we really need quality over quantity. I would also argue we would need more vocal leaders in the dressing room as well. 

I don't see our starting 11 as a terrible a 11 though it should be able to get us mid table. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What comment is that? I made a prediction yesterday that we won't go close to spending £3 million, especially not on a CB, and this morning it seems to be correct. I feel the need to point this out as only last night I was criticised for making false predictions on here.

I'm not interested in excuses or the "poor us" routine. Getting stuff done is what matters.

the comment you made I quoted. 

Yes you have made a number of predictions that didn't come true like Nigel Adkins or Simon Grayson being appoint head coach  Instead we got a much better appointment in Jon Dahl Tomasson who has impressed everyone so far. 

I still think we will make a couple of signings this week

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Instead we got a much better appointment in Jon Dahl Tomasson who has impressed everyone so far. 

I still think we will make a couple of signings this week

We hope we have got a much better appointment.

Nobody has been proven right or wrong on that yet.

Most people are pleased with Tomasson and want him to succeed but he hasn't managed a game yet so we have to see how good he is when the business really starts. You don't get points or prizes for talking well 

A bit rich you pointing to my expectation of an Adkins or Grayson when you went through an assortment of names yourself none of which got the job in the end. I'm sure you never mentioned Tomasson as a realistic option despite your 'sources'.

I’m our last lot of published accounts the annual wage bill was £25.7 million, basically the same as the previous year. Since those figures were taken into account we’ve lost the following first team players:

Bennett, Evans, Mulgrew, Downing, Bell, Holtby, Armstrong, Chapman, Stergiakis, Johnson, Davenport, Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe

We’ve brought in the following:

Edun, Hedges, Brown, Markanday

Thats all of the top of my head, so I may have missed some. There’s obviously the usual churn of youth players, plus the usual loans, where the cost is probably similar year on year. Even taking into account a few improved deals in the meantime, our wage bill must be significantly lower than 25 million now. Add to that the training ground sale and Armstrong transfer fee, we ought to have some room in the budget to make significant signings. 

We should also be in the best position we’ve been in for years in terms of FFP as well with those windfalls last summer. Obviously there is a chance the budget has been significantly reduced… and if that’s the case you can see how Waggott ticks boxes for Venky’s.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BigUts said:

Don't agree with this personally. It was a big step-up for him last season and I thought he did OK for the most part. I would expect to see some further improvement this season too as he will have further adjusted to the riggers of the Championship.

Not sure what you class as "ok" but he was skint nearly every game, positionally poor and awful going forward. Needs replacing, done with willing players to be good. He was one of the worst performers last season and showed little promise of improving. He was far from ok in my book.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just a case of budgets….Sheffield United still receiving parachute payments and fill their ground every week!!

Our budget is £16m, wouldn’t be surprised if theirs is 4x or more! Interesting, I heard the PNE have cut theirs from £18m to £12m this season…finances tight outside of the parachute clubs! 

You can't justify losing out on this one. The lad is 23 year old and has worked with our manager. Venkys want to buy quality young players and sell on for a profit so it fits the transfer strategy perfectly. You break the bank for that kind of signing as it'll reap rewards later.

Although they have parachute payments, it's still Sheffield Utd so they won't be offering huge wages. Especially as their CEO has recently said he doesn't want high earners at the club and has just got rid of them all.

Someone f**** up somewhere but it's no surprise. Same old.

2 hours ago, Hi Mack said:

Where the hell has all this hate for Pickering come from? Before his injury he was one of our better performers. He came back in to a struggling team and wasn’t exactly awful.

Theres 6 or 7 areas that need looking at before LB.

Hate? It's purely pointing out a problem area, he is way off it, slower than a wet week. I never suggested getting at LB in at the expense of another area either. Needs to be looked at simultaneously. Just because he is a LB doesn't mean you have to be happy with it. He is not championship level.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We hope we have got a much better appointment.

Nobody has been proven right or wrong on that yet.

Most people are pleased with Tomasson and want him to succeed but he hasn't managed a game yet so we have to see how good he is when the business really starts. You don't get points or prizes for talking well 

A bit rich you pointing to my expectation of an Adkins or Grayson when you went through an assortment of names yourself none of which got the job in the end. I'm sure you never mentioned Tomasson as a realistic option despite your 'sources'.

I wanted Carvalhal and Farke but we got neither. 

I have no sources JH so I have no idea where that come from. 

I expect some left field choice or someone like Cocu. Never thought Adkins or Grayson would get it. 

You are correct I never mention JDT cos I didn't know he was a manager to be honest as I follow no European leagues or UEFA Competitions. Its was @RoversClitheroe who suggested him so I had a look into his coaching background, etc. Put a bet on him which won me some good money. 

So far, I am happy with JDT's appointment and what he has done so far. His comments have been positive and breath of fresh air about Mowbray tenure here. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I remember rightly they also pipped us to the signing of Ben Heneghan a few years back. Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth on here. He ended up going out on loan to Blackpool and hardly played a game for Sheffield Utd.

Now at Sheffield Wednesday. 

5 minutes ago, neophox said:

Well Done Sheffield then... they Will probably get promoted... we cant compete with this FFP.... 

Looks like they are having a real go at it - also trying to snare Jack Clarke from Spurs.  On paper, two potentially quality young additions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s literally nothing they can do. The budget is driven by our ability to generate money and how much we’re allowed to lose via FFP. So even IF V’s wanted to spend £50m of their own cash, they can’t without massively hindering the club!

Ha!

1 hour ago, Beanie01289 said:

Ffp needs to be scraped or restructuring as its not fair play when several teams in the division are receiving finacial doping

Why is the assumption always that it is FFP that is stopping Venkys from spending any more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unleaded said:

Anel has gone to Sheffield…. Wages offered won …. 

We pay lower bottom half of the championship wages and that (or worse) is where we’ll end up. If we can’t win the race against one other team when the player actually played for the manager, then we will only end up with players who nobody else are interested in. Very sad and disappointing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

£3 Million, decent wages, we can ill afford to shoot our load on one player, however good he may look. We need 9 or 10 players.

Disappointing, but in the end probably the right decision to not over commit on the first signing 

Is that a double entendre? (Anel)

• Like 1

Don't Sheff U have to worry about cutting costs to get their finances under control having failed to get promoted last year?

So just to recap we've got:

- FFP rules mean we can't spend any money

- Parachute payments aren't fair

- We have a wage structure that we can't break so even though we have money we can't spend it if the wages are too much

- We can't keep our academy developed players from the clutches of mid-table (non parachute blessed) rivals because those players are greedy and we can't be held to ransom

- Billionaire owners keen to invest but just not able to do so

All sounds very unfair. Of course this is what Venkys and Waggott want us to believe, because it absolves them of any responsibility or culpability when things don't happen or things go wrong.

I prefer to look at things not from the 'not fair boo hoo' angle and more from the side of 'what can we control and do differently to change things?'

So I look at FFP. Some would have us believe that these are punitive rules designed to punish clubs like Rovers. Instead I look at ways around FFP. One side of this is income. I'm afraid there are a whole collection of examples of how the Club has failed massively on that front. Whether that be woefully inadequate sponsorship, the crisis of allowing key players to leave for nothing or self-destructive season ticket policies take your pick - all need improving and quickly and if they do so does income and turnover.

I look at the wage bill - this has been demolished since last year. Miller helpfully above shows this. I believe this is because Venkys have had enough of putting the money in and have imposed substantial cuts on wages. This directly feeds back to the contract fiasco. Their choice. Their fault.

Lets worry about what we can do rather than play the "its not fair" game.

• Like 8