BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, roversinmyblood said:

We can’t let him go for nothing at the end of the season, so unless there are early offers, any sensible team (like we do) leave it late to get him on the cheap. Consequently GB would have to sell him even if it is deadline day. If there is no solid bids before then what can you expect him to do? Football is a dog eat dog business. 

Depends on the state of the squad on deadline day. I've also argued we can't lose him for free, but I'd rather lose him for free than say, get relegated. Personally I'd tell interested clubs in the last 2 weeks of the window that he is getting more expensive every day, not cheaper.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Depends on the state of the squad on deadline day. I've also argued we can't lose him for free, but I'd rather lose him for free than say, get relegated. Personally I'd tell interested clubs in the last 2 weeks of the window that he is getting more expensive every day, not cheaper.

They know different though don’t they. They can see their cards and they can see our cards as well.

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Because it literally imposes hard limits on what we can spend, which can no longer be easily circumvented, and we flew pretty close to the wind on it last year. I'm not sure why you and JH fight this point anymore.

We should have no issues with FFP atm. The Armstrong sale was so late, I believe it’s on the accounts for this year. We had to do training ground sale for last year. Agree he will be sold, but we should be able to invest the Armstrong proceeds now. Also without the maximum wages under our structure picked up by Rothwell, Lenihan and Naymbe there room to bring in and pay players. I’m confident that the budget exists without the sale of Diaz. 

So it looks like we are in the market for players of the ilk of Pickering, Edun and Hedges, freebies and loans. The early optimism of a really good appointment in Tomasson is slowly being tarnished by the errant ones already.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I don't understand this general meek acceptance that we can't compete with other championship clubs.

Ever since the relegation to league one in 2017, that alone has killed any ambition with a good portion of our fan base sadly.

• Like 2

I see Ayala absence from the team photo is being explained as he wasn't training that session as they are managing him. I'll call bullshit on that one. Surely he could appear for the photo even if he wasn't training. Me thinks he won't be here by the time the transfer window closes. All this talk of only 6 signings required, literally we will need that just for the defence. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I don't understand this general meek acceptance that we can't compete with other championship clubs.

Of course we can. Just not in the transfer market with clubs that have a lot more money than us.

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Of course we can. Just not in the transfer market with clubs that have a lot more money than us.

No doubt this was spelt out to both of our new recruits during their interviews.

1 hour ago, Bethnal said:

Just as an aside, but I think Leeds would be a good move for Ben. Wouldn’t begrudge him the move, either.

I agree with that and playing under Jesse Marsch would suit his game. 

45 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Where there's a will there's a way. Jack Walker would have found a way.

If we are truly limited by FFP ( I don't think we are ) then why are we wasting our time chasing highly paid players if we know we can't afford them ?

Maybe we should have appointed Ainsworth ( cheaper ) and let him bring in some grafters from the lower leagues if that is the market we are in.

Sheffield United can offer better wages and have bigger turnover than us. 

We don't need some grafters from the lower leagues. What we need is quality players that fit JDT style and formation. We will make some good signings I am sure we will make them. There is some quality players in the leagues but we should be looking into the overseas players market whilst looking for the odd free transfer/ player from a PL club

• Like 1

Spending £3m on Anel always felt like it would be an out of character move under these owners. For me, it was more hope that, maybe this time, with JDT here and a fresh start it could happen, whilst also thinking "but £3m though, really?". Unsurprisingly, it's not going to happen.

I think the only money they've spent on a permanent CB signing in the last few years was on Paul Downing. An ok CB for L1, but not anything to shout about. That's about their level of ambition. A cheap stop gap, or loans.

It remains to be seen, but I don't trust this lot to back Broughton and JDT properly. I'm calling it now, another Lambert situation isn't far away.

It's easy for people like Nicko and other local journos to put 2+2 together in terms of Anel. We need centre backs and one at JDT's former club is available. Bingo. I'm questioning how far our 'interest' in him actually went.

People like swag would like nothing more than to leak something to the press to make it look like we are after a European defender. It makes it seem like we mean business, when really they have no intention of spending such sums of money.

PR crap once again with Anel, just like with Farke and Carvalhal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CD_93 said:

Sheffield United who will just have been given £35m?

57 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

How many times have Rovers fans said this in the last 11 years?   We're the famous Blackburn Rovers, we're a miles bigger club than 'X'.  Blatantly untrue, frankly. 

A city club with an average attendance of 27,000 last season, the highest in the Championship..... our average was 14,000.   
What other measure of club size are there? 
Financial - Two years in the prem and support from parachute means they're superior....  not to mention the woeful mismanagement of our finances through the years. 
Infrastructure - Probably our strongest suit (Thanks, Jack).  The stadium is slowly rusting away.... the training centre is top class... Sheff Utd are hoping to have their own cat 1 before long anyway.... 
History - bit of a nonsense argument, because no-one cares apart from the club's own fans.  No-one wants to be the next West Ham, embarrassingly regaling rival fans of the great Bobby Moore and co that won the world cup.  No-one gives a shit, just like no-one outside of our fanbase really gives a shit that we won the league in 1995.

Anything I've missed?

From that centre halves point of view the only thing that matters is how much money he's getting paid and then I suppose likelihood of success, prioritised in that order... unlikely we're going to match Sheff Utd on either of those fronts this season. 

Short of burning down EP and the STC, the Rao's have more or less managed to obliterate Jack's legacy, never mind 'absolutely respect it' as they promised, along with bold claims of making Rovers a 'truly global brand'.  When they bought the club it was unimageable that we'd be considered equals with Preston, Blackpool, Burnley and others....   Well, here we are.   Short of making us a truly global brand, they have essentially taken us backwards 35 years.... difference being, at least in those days we had people running the club who genuinely cared about it. 

Admittedly my original post was me being very dramatic about just how far we have fallen I guess.  I woke up in a bad mood today.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, booth said:

The same Sheffield United whose CEO has been desperately slashing their wage bill.

Such is the disparity in income that it's entirely possible for them to both slash their wage bill and still blow us (and most of the league) out of the water. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Okay, so now he's not coming, we are all agreed that Anal Aphrodisiac is not actually the new Paolo Maldini and is in fact shit, and we didn't want him anyway 😉 

Spot - on. And the fact we were even considering going down the Anal route in the first place is a disgrace and suggests our transfer plans are full of shit...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Spot - on. And the fact we were even considering going down the Anal route in the first place is a disgrace and suggests our transfer plans are full of shit...

We've made a real ass of ourselves tbf. Butt, onto the next one. Let's get these transfer wheels lubricated and bring a big one in. We might be able to avoid other clubs gazumping us if we sneak someone in the back door.

• Like 3

If we spend 3m on the entire window I will be pleasantly surprised. Frees and loans is my gut feeling. Plus nothing in the next couple of weeks. I don’t care what the ITKs think. We have new manager (DoF) but same upper management and owners. Things won’t change. Would be over the moon to be wrong though 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, eire3382 said:

If we spend 3m on the entire window I will be pleasantly surprised. Frees and loans is my gut feeling. Plus nothing in the next couple of weeks. I don’t care what the ITKs think. We have new manager (DoF) but same upper management and owners. Things won’t change. Would be over the moon to be wrong though 

Agreed.

I've lost all excitement with the realisation SW is still CEO.

Edited by RoversClitheroe

Van Hecke would do  as a marquee signing for me.....even if Ben had to go the other way to balance the budget.

Sadly hes probably out of our price range.

A back-up goalie and another central defender are an absolute pre-requisite.

I can live with not scoring a lot if the drawbridge is pulled up tightly.

If JDT is insistent on playing entertaining football on our budget AND getting results,then certainly he has his work cut out. Lets give him every encouragement we can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eire3382 said:

Why would JDT agree to come here under those conditions?

He seems like an ambitious guy had an offer on the table from Zurich and champions league football to come here with a budget that will only bring in loan players and free transfers?

He will know we lost 6/7 players from last season starting line up but will come here with no money to spend and try to replicate or better last season's 8th place finish?

It could be argued he might have been promised funds that won't materialize and if that's the case then his tenure will be short-lived imo.But he has to have been given Some assurances to have come here In the first place.He be on a hiding to nothing if he can only bring in frees and loans with the quality we have lost this year 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We've made a real ass of ourselves tbf. Butt, onto the next one. Let's get these transfer wheels lubricated and bring a big one in. We might be able to avoid other clubs gazumping us if we sneak someone in the back door.

I suspect we go in for players , knowing full well someone else has a bid for the said player..