BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gregg Broughton said a healthy budget compare to teams without parachute payments was his words. 

Are you worried or panicking over that we haven't sign anyone? 

I dont think its ideal by any means but I expected it and im certainly not worrying or "panicking."

I wouldnt expect anyone in this week either, just a guess mind.

Edited by roversfan99

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think its ideal by any means but I expected it

JDT and GB was very clearly they wouldn't be signing anyone until after Portugal training camp when they come assess the playing squad and the good young players at the club so see if they should be part of the first team squad this season. 

So I don't know why anyone expect signings before this week

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

We can't sell BB unless somebody actually bids for him.

Which, according to all reports, hasn't happened yet.

Think the 'reports' are incorrect - understand a couple of 'enquiries' but sub £15million.

Don't know why anyone got excited about this Anel guy. We all know that Venkys have never spent on defenders since they arrived.

Every interview has talked about using what we have, developing youth and following the vision of the owners.

Try listening to the words. We are starting a 3 year journey to cash in on developing and selling on young players. We are not attempting to compete and get promoted.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Don't know why anyone got excited about this Anel guy. We all know that Venkys have never spent on defenders since they arrived.

Every interview has talked about using what we have, developing youth and following the vision of the owners.

Try listening to the words. We are starting a 3 year journey to cash in on developing and selling on young players. We are not attempting to compete and get promoted.

Yep that was plain as day siting 2nd in the league as January. 

Despite all the 'soundbites', not sure there is a plan!

As posted before, first plan should have been to sell Brereton quickly and then the new regime knew exactly what they had to play with.  Let's not beat about the bush, think it's pretty certain Brereton is going.

Second plan should have been to make a signing that made a statement and built upon the initial optimism following JDT's appointment.

To me, we seem to be in limbo with indecisiveness prevailing.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Would Conor Mahoney be worth a look? He’s on a free and has never really made the step up that was expected. Still young enough to do it though. 

He wouldnt even be considered if he wasnt a local lad. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

JDT and GB was very clearly they wouldn't be signing anyone until after Portugal training camp when they come assess the playing squad and the good young players at the club so see if they should be part of the first team squad this season. 

So I don't know why anyone expect signings before this week

Did they specifically say that there would be no signings by now? And who has said that they "expected" signings by now? Would be ideal, can somewhat understand the concern to an extent as its best to get players in early and we have a track record of taking time usually due to lack of finance and delays stemming from India. In fact I am sure you said the other week that you could see a signing happening soon.

• Like 1

Stefan Strandberg is available on a free. Soon 32 years old Norway international. Lacks pace completely and is a bit injury prone, but has a wealth of experience and is a Rovers supporter. Not an upgrade on Ayala but think we'd get a few more games out of him. 

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Stefan Strandberg is available on a free. Soon 32 years old Norway international. Lacks pace completely and is a bit injury prone, but has a wealth of experience and is a Rovers supporter. Not an upgrade on Ayala but think we'd get a few more games out of him. 

From your description, hard pass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Would Conor Mahoney be worth a look? He’s on a free and has never really made the step up that was expected. Still young enough to do it though. 

got a serious attitude problem,just been shown the exit by millwall after they spent close on a million quid for him,he`s a dick as well

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think we need a minimum of 6, more likely 8, very decent new signings just to stand still.

Most of your post is right, but this part isn't. To stand still we only need to replace the departed players with players of the same standard. Some were very decent(Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, JPVH, arguably Khadra), some were just decent (Poveda), and some were a bit sub-par (Davenport though he maybe straddles decent when fit, Zeefuik, Giles the way we played him and Johnson). I make that 5 very decent, certainly not 8, to stand still. Plus some squad fillers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Rather have stefan effenberg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To those who think there is no need to get uptight about the lack of a single signing so far, let the following sink in. 

We are 26 days from the new season starting and from last season we have lost Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Rothwell and Khadra who would all be first team certainties.  We have also lost Zeefuik, Davenport, Giles, Johnson and Poveda.  That is 10 players from last season's 1st team squad.  I think it's a fair bet Ayala and Brereton will also soon be out the building.

I think we need a minimum of 6, more likely 8, very decent new signings just to stand still.

Given the time sale and the need for a rebuilt squad to gel and to adapt to play in the way JDT wants, it's a simply frightening proposition.  A huge, huge task.  I posted earlier I thought our club was fecked - to me, if we survive in the Championship next season then it will be a result.  Hope all the Mowbray 'happy clappers' are still clapping because, IMO, he's left one hell of a mess to clean up. 

Most fans knew it was a complete rebuild this offseason - as it has been for the last 5 seasons as Mowbray relied upon loans (5 of the 10 players you listed above) to fill out his squad. 

JDT has now had a week to look at his squad in training - he'll know what he needs (I assume he had a very good idea just from watching a few matches on tape), but the up-close look will have confirmed what they are and aren't capable of. 

I'll start worrying if we've signed nobody in 2 weeks time - unfortunately this was always on the cards because the manager search dragged on and on. JDT and Broughton have to be given time to bring in the right players to fit the style of play and formation the head coach wants to play. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

If I was considering joining as director of football I'd certainly have the BBD situation sorted before I joined the club....its critical, he must have sorted it before joining or if he didn't have the balls to sort it out then he might aswell feck off now and take his mate with him.

I seriously doubt that the BBD situation is sorted even now.

Has he signed a new contract? I think the answer is no.

If a decent offer for BBD came in it would be accepted or lose him for nowt in the future. Surely Waggott and the idiots above him are not that stupid.

Not that any fee received would go on new players. GB said that the budget was not dependant on a sale. Cash received would go into the ether or Blings trouser pocket.

We are going to make do with what we have, the academy and frees/loans. We have lost the Pep and Klopp lover so not too much chance there. Brighton too.

Apparently we don't yet have a Park replacement. Actually we just need someone that can do Google and read ... the loans and frees list.

I envy others with optimism, sadly not one of my strong points where Rovers Circus is concerned.

I mean how can anyone take it seriously when Ewood is run by a failed football agent. Surely one of the most difficult to fail out callings on the planet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To those who think there is no need to get uptight about the lack of a single signing so far, let the following sink in. 

We are 26 days from the new season starting and from last season we have lost Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Rothwell and Khadra who would all be first team certainties.  We have also lost Zeefuik, Davenport, Giles, Johnson and Poveda.  That is 10 players from last season's 1st team squad.  I think it's a fair bet Ayala and Brereton will also soon be out the building.

Given the time sale and the need for a rebuilt squad to gel and to adapt to play in the way JDT wants, it's a simply frightening proposition.  A huge, huge task.  I posted earlier I thought our club was fecked - to me, if we survive in the Championship next season then it will be a result.  Hope all the Mowbray 'happy clappers' are still clapping because, IMO, he's left one hell of a mess to clean up. 

Ive been as vocal as anyone in how we need a good number of players and how the earlier we can bed them in the better but your earlier sudden post (unsure if it was the failure to sign this Bosnian that provoked it) about being fucked and needing a long walk and a few drinks just caused intentional hysteria with many taking that one post as symbolic of an unfair perception of widespread blind panic.

Ultimately, any team that changes manager in the off season is playing catch up in the transfer market. At a club as dysfunctional as ours, the process becomes more lengthy and we essentially cut half of the summer out searching for a manager.

You could certainly argue that we are fucked or at least massively handicapped but that is down solely to Venkys and will continue until they depart. Mowbray thankfully has gone but leaves a very competitive first 11 or so despite key players becoming unaffordable with richer competitors and also another imminent large windfall on an asset which may or more likely may not be available for reinvestment. There is a platform there more than a mess but it needs at least a decent chunk of the Brereton money reinvested to push on.

• Like 1