BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Here we go, how many we signing before Accy? I’m going with two…

Getting 2 in would be a great boost for us.

We always seem to drag our feet on stuff like this though, so unless the new regime has been given powers that no one else has ever been given, I'll go with a lot of speculation and 0 signings this week.

Hope i'm wrong though.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, pomster said:

Not a case of being personal more a case of not getting info

Remember when a Mr A Shearer signed and he said to Peter, something along the lines of ... so your the local journo, heres my phone no.
Journalism doesn't have to be always about the clubs business, it could be chats with players, members of staff eg groundsman, even the flippin tea lady!

They aren't journos really anymore they are just reporters.

Ask the odd basic question that gets a basic answer then report it, get told what people want them to hear then report it.

Biggest challenge they have is trying to fill inches when there' nothing happening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

Pickering needs replacing. Any decent manager would see that instantly. Awful signing and a pure liability.

Don't agree with this personally. It was a big step-up for him last season and I thought he did OK for the most part. I would expect to see some further improvement this season too as he will have further adjusted to the riggers of the Championship.

• Like 5

Pickering we were distraught at first when he was out of the team and Edun played there.

The injury did seem to hamper him though or maybe it was just the step up finding him out.  All he really needs though is to rediscover a bit of pace and he should be fine.

Hopefully this manager doesn't see converted lower league mids as the answer to full backs.

4 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Where the hell has all this hate for Pickering come from? Before his injury he was one of our better performers. He came back in to a struggling team and wasn’t exactly awful.

Theres 6 or 7 areas that need looking at before LB.

I thought he was brilliant before his injury too…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

image.thumb.png.63da35c955bc4845363001afb026f6cf.png

It is a little worrying now. I'm sure all of them are a nice bunch. But realistically, only 6-7 of them are starters. We need some quality first-teamers for sure, 4 at very least?

And where's Ayala? Thought he travelled to Portugal.

Yep.

As it stands, that's a bottom 6 squad.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I’m gonna go with 4 in by weekend 

Sounds a lot but the new team have now had a couple of weeks to work with the team and know what is needed, hopefully lots of ducks in a row and we’ll move quickly here on in

Failing that we’ll line up at Stanley with Sachsen Petshi, Giles Coke and Dean Furman in the team 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pomster said:

Not a case of being personal more a case of not getting info

Remember when a Mr A Shearer signed and he said to Peter, something along the lines of ... so your the local journo, heres my phone no.
Journalism doesn't have to be always about the clubs business, it could be chats with players, members of staff eg groundsman, even the flippin tea lady!

Spot on.

A journalist needs to put in the hard hours and invest in relationships, at all levels, thereby oiling the wheels of diplomacy and information - it pays rich dividends! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

image.thumb.png.63da35c955bc4845363001afb026f6cf.png

It is a little worrying now. I'm sure all of them are a nice bunch. But realistically, only 6-7 of them are starters. We need some quality first-teamers for sure, 4 at very least?

And where's Ayala? Thought he travelled to Portugal.

Yeah it's a concern.

Players who i'd class as starters (not taking playing style/formations into account)

Kaminski, Ayala, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Gallagher, Brereton, Dack

That's 9 and you're never getting more than half a season out of Ayala. 

You're then looking at players like Hedges, Dolan, JRC who have a few 1st team appearances under their belts but the jury is out on them for the most part.

The rest, which include Carter, Brown & Markanday, are either totally untested at this level or academy players.

So you could get 11 but the squad is pretty threadbare overall and we obviously need some depth/improvement on the first 11.

56 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Is that the young lad Phillips in the middle? Looks pretty big for a 17 year old.

Still looks a bit gangly and awkward yet, needs another year or two to fill into his body and toughen up i think, hopefully he can get a dozen or so games under his belt this season though if he's really as good as made out

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

If as reported that the Bosnian has chosen to go elsewhere, then perhaps its a further indication that we arent capable of competing financially with top half Championship sides, especially off the back of Lenihan etc leaving to seek pastures new.

As ever, I will judge everyone involved based on what does happen rather than what they tried to make happen. Lets hope the alleged money doesnt vanish after a rumoured transfer like it has many times before. We dont even know if we bid for this fella and indeed how much that was but it is irrelevant now. 

11 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Still looks a bit gangly and awkward yet, needs another year or to fill into his body and toughen up i think, hopefully he can get a dozen or so games under his belt this season though if he's really as good as made out

Yes he’s quite slender for a centre half. Get him on the Guinness and steak, that’ll fill him out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know that's about the best we can cobble together as things stand but that's a fairly horrific looking line up imo.

Defensively Carter is primarily a centre half not a RB and we will sorely miss the excellent Nyambe. The crock Ayala needs turfing out, jury's out on Pickering.

Further forward Hedges is pony imo, Markanday is completely unproven and it's unclear at this stage whether Dack can get back to anything approaching his best.

Brereton might not even be staying. Anyone who thinks Mowbray left us with a solid platform needs to look at the above and give their head a wobble. The rest of us will probably be reflecting on what a vulnerable position Mowbray has left us in and what a complete waste of time and money  the last four seasons have been.

Brereton likely wont stay no but he wi be sold as the second player in successive summers to generate a considerable profit of double/triple the initial investment. That could have been more had the owners not interfered regarding Rothwell.

What is left at the moment is a bit of a mixed bag. 3 key players left on frees, 2 because we seemingly cant compete with the better teams in this league financially and the third because the owners blocked a sale in January. Kaminski, the unfortunate Dack, Pickering and Dolan were all signed for small fees/nothing. Wharton, Buckley, Travis and seemingly Carter after successful loans have all really developed well in the last few years and Markanday and Hedges seem like reasonable potential additions again for peanuts, certainly neither can be reasonably judged as "pony" yet.

Hopefully Tomasson can take what is left (both in terms of talent and financial potential to allow reinvestment should the owners allow which is unclear) at the moment and really take it to the next step. Certainly a lot more to play with than Mowbray inherited. You would think that such is your hatred of Mowbray that you wouldnt continue to place so much focus on such a terrible time you have spent supporting Rovers.

6 hours ago, damo100 said:

Not sure if I agree with some comments here Rev, overly critical imo.

The excellent Nyambe? He's a decent player but not 'excellent' Should and could have been so much better in particular offensively 

Hedges was a bit part player but shone when given a mini run towards the end of the season and looked a useful player.

Markanday is an unknown atm, however if we go off what many Spurs fans said when they sold him I'm looking forward to see him get a decent run in the side. 

Dack is a quality player and like you say it's unclear to us all regards getting back to his best, however a full preseason won't do him any harm at all, fingers crossed the lad deserves it.

Jury's out on Pickering? Is it? Still young loves to get forward and create opportunities and apparently is the sort of player JDT likes.

If BBD stays or goes you'd hope we'd be in a win win situation. Stays, we know how good he is, leaves, £££££ to hopefully reinvest in a few quality additions to provide more quality in our squad. 

We are the only non Premier League outfit to contest the U23's Premier league 2. Cat one Academy costs are rising and Venkys still remain committed. Look at Burnley, waited years to upgrade for cat one status and lasted just a couple of seasons before losing it and back to Cat two. 

Whereas we've had many talented youngsters come through one of the best Academys in the country and continue to do so.

Next season I'd expect and would not be overly disappointed with a midtable finish as long as we're seeing progress, but to be honest I'm quite looking forward to JDT's style of play, such a youthful squad of talented players, need imo at least 6 additions, let's get behind JDT and see where it takes us.

The hyperbole from said poster is designed to protect the owners at all costs, making out an average manager out to be "the worst pound for pound manager in the clubs history" and an admittedly seemingly fairly incompetent CEO out to be 2 scourges of the club that the committed owners could do nothing about.

What the agenda is is unclear. Perhaps a feeling that he cannot hold his hands up having previously claimed that big changes are afoot?