BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

3 hours ago, J*B said:

I’ve said it for a while now but I’m convinced he’s gone. At this point he’s talking down the club, the players, the fans and the future. It’s like the United manager, he knows his time is done, he knows he has nothing to achieve so he doesn’t give a shite. See todays interview, he’s told Markanday he needs a full pre season. If he was staying he would be playing him. 

That's no different from normal for Mowbray. 

He's constantly reminding us that it's not 1994 anymore and talking up the giants of football we play every week. He's disrespected our proud club for years. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

nah,he`s lost the dressing room,the fans and everyones respect,he`s been in the game long enough to know when times up

That will not stop him signing on again to a cushy number.  Also the Brockhall cartel have not finished their business.

• Like 2

Oh he's lost the dressing room, there's no doubt about that.

99 times in 100 in football that is game over for a manager. It is irreparable and the manager has to go because it is the only realistic solution.

But then I remind myself of the shenanigans of the Kean days and who we have owning us and sat in the directors box at Ewood and think they would rather keep Mowbray and their cushy numbers going than risk change.

So it is perfectly reasonable to expect him to send the players off on their holidays and then in the summer dismantle the squad by offloading any personalities in the dressing room hostile towards him. Half the job is already done with the number we have out of contract/loan. Won't take a lot of work to get rid of 2-3 more and then bring in a raft of new players who will be subservient to him.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In what way is his demeanour any different from this time last season?

last year was a lost season for everybody,he was probably every football fan in the country was fed up with no crowds and the soulless games,this year we`ve nearly got in the play offs and suddenly expectations are well up,post januarys freefall has brought into question his methods,the players especially have got into him and now he`s a haunted figure with everyone having an opinion on why we`ve plummeted down the league,in poker terms,tony is a busted flush

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/tony-mowbray-blackburn-rovers-future-23769328

Definitely doesn't sound like someone who would turn down a new deal If offered.

Ughh. Some of his quotes make my stomach turn. Talking about youngsters. Building for the future. How many 35 or 36 year old were at the club when he took over? As he put. Building a structure.  Fuck off!!!. Why then did he keep offering new contracts to players in their mid 30s if he wants to build for the future? He's a total asswipe

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

last year was a lost season for everybody,he was probably every football fan in the country was fed up with no crowds and the soulless games,this year we`ve nearly got in the play offs and suddenly expectations are well up,post januarys freefall has brought into question his methods,the players especially have got into him and now he`s a haunted figure with everyone having an opinion on why we`ve plummeted down the league,in poker terms,tony is a busted flush

This is his demeanour, his body language, his shoulder shrugging every time we go on a bad run, he’s a thin skinned, petulant bugger.

He was a busted flush last season, we went on another horrendous death spiral, his job wasn’t remotely on the line. 

If he still had a year left on his deal, he’d be here next season, regardless of this disaster since January. The only difference is a new deal has to be offered, which would not be happening at a normal club, but this is Venky World…

• Like 7

Sounds like a man who knows his time is up and he knows it. Fans have starting to turn on him, players aren't playing for him and his whole attitude and demeanour stinks to be honest and a manager who knows its time to move on. 

Mowbray never said he wants to stay even tho he was given the opportunity to say he wants to manage us next season. 

Time for him to go.  

• Like 1

Football managers are a strange breed though they rest up in summer and come back coated in teflon.

It wears off of course but if you've got your name on a contract then a sacking in Oct/Nov means a nice pay off.  If not you just shrug your shoulders, say nothing is your fault then plod on with it drawing your wages.  If the heat gets too hot then if they don't sack you you say 'mutual consent' to your agent.

Yep, really hard done to these guys are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/tony-mowbray-blackburn-rovers-future-23769328

Definitely doesn't sound like someone who would turn down a new deal If offered.

I agree. His quote about asking Waggott is a nice way of deflecting the questions. He doesn't once say 'I will consider things' - it's all down to others. He doesn't want to go anywhere and I suspect Venky's will be happy to let him continue.

The future is bleak.

• Like 8

On 23/04/2022 at 14:08, J*B said:

At it Paul, blame the fans!

Don't worry about Paul, his flippant response to us cocking up the transfer window was to take the piss on deadline night whilst adding little of interest.

He's probably still laughing now. Get beat tomorrow, he'll be in hysterics. Mowbray stays, someone better check on him because his sides may have split.

if he`s still here next season im`e taking in the u23 games whenever i can and will probably go to chorley when they are at home,might go to a few accy stanley games as well,can`t just turn off the saturday football ritual,to much for me to endure pathetic surrenders and mowbrays deranged attempts at pep guardiola formations

• Like 2

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

It sounds like a lot of bullshit to me, talking about how he's set up infrastructure when we have over half a team ready to leave in the Summer. Whoever in charge is going to have a rebuilding job on their hands. You could say the majority of his 5 years has been a massive waste of time. It's clearly aimed at the owners for another deal. I can only imagine he's not exactly been inundated with offers.

Thankfully it also sounds like his phoneline to the owners has been cut off if he's saying ask Waggot.

• Like 6

I asked Sharpe if he was going to ask Waggott like Mowbray told him to, no reply. Also no reply when I asked him if he was going to remind Mowbray he said he'd walk if he became a burden on the club, which he clearly now is.

Edit - literally just replied saying he's looking to get something sorted for next week.... 

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 1

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I asked Sharpe if he was going to ask Waggott like Mowbray told him to, no reply. Also no reply when I asked him if he was going to remind Mowbray he said he'd walk if he became a burden on the club, which he clearly now is.

Edit - literally just replied saying he's looking to get something sorted for next week.... 

A very Waggott response 😂

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Every time I see the title of this thread “ Mowbray’s reign as a whole “ - why does the expression “ Black hole “ come to my mind.

Asshole is the word that comes to my mind when I see a teamsheet or when he's putting his foot in his mouth.

• Like 4

Mowbray arguing, in the LancsLive article interview, that he has helped to contribute towards creating a self-sustaining club: "When I arrived there were a lot of 35 and 36-year-olds with very little value, and now the club has lots of assets, even below the first-team there’s a bunch of lads ready to burst onto the scene, because of the information and structure passed down and how we want footballers coaching."

We do have four/five academy players in the first team and a strong U18 set coming through. However, aside from David Raya, if I'm not mistaken the last "top" player "produced" by the club was Grant Hanley, who was sold in 2016. I could be overlooking players but I can't think of any other academy produced player who has consistently reached that level since - which is lower end Premier League standard. 

I suspect Wharton might be able to reach Hanley standards but players like Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan just have not developed in recent years, after early promise. So, arguably, aside from Raya, Mowbray has not helped or overseen any of these young players push on and realise their potential.

Moreover, Mowbray taking credit for the youth system, which hasn't produced real top talents of late (Buckley remains a, perhaps, distant hope), overlooks that he benefited from a system that preceded him. The likes of Nyambe, Wharton, Travis, JRC, Buckley came through the ranks during a previous regime. Mowbray gave them opportunities to make debuts or gain experience but cannot claim to have been meaningfully responsible for their earlier youth development. He might make that argument for players that he has talked up, such as Dan Pike, but, it's increasingly unlikely that this most recent U23 team will leave much mark on the firsts, as the likes of McBride, Burns, Butterworth, Magloire, Eastham and others head out the door.

I don't think Mowbray's accurate in saying that there's "a bunch of lads ready to burst onto the scene", unless he means some U18s prospects and Jack Vale/Jake Garrett/Lennie Cirino, who, I believe, have 1 Rovers first team competitive appearance between them.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 5