BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

I truly give up if the only options for our next manager are Deila, Ferguson, Ainsworth, Warne etc...

Why? Every one is a step up from every manager we've had so far when they joined (Lambert aside).

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

All I can say is that from the 60's, when I started on the old Blackburn End, there were always two "Birdies"...variously "Fat Birdy/Thin Birdy" or "Birdy One/Birdy Two"....

Does anyone tweet about these two?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RVRVRS said:

Seen as everyone is throwing names around and rumours in the press start here I’ll leave you with a another couple of names. Out of work and in need of building a rep back up

Quique Setien

Vilas-boas

Villas-Boas is surely out of our reach?

Didn't he also speak out against Marseille, which ultimately led him to being sacked? Very Little chance Venkys would appoint him, even if he could be persuaded to join.

5 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

Not for me, Farke and Carvalhal are a step up the rest are a bunch of league 1 standard managers 

When Mowbray probably had as good a budget as Warne and Ainsworth at league one level he left Coventry bottom of league one.

I'd agree Ainsworth or Warne would be underwhelming if compared to a Farke or Carvahal but both would be better appointments than the has beens that have come before.

Yeah they both have it to prove in this division but it would have been a miracle Ainsworth keeping Wycombe in the division with the budget they have and to get them to the championship in the first place was an outstanding achievement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

There’s a fans forum meeting in just over a month, I’m concerned we may still not have a manager by then tbh.

SW sends his apologies for his absence .....

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Ainsworth, Deila, and Warne each have more to show than Mowbray did at the time when he'd plunged Coventry into trouble. It's not a high bar, but appointing either of them would make more sense than I was expecting from the club.

Regarding Ferguson, I was perturbed when I first heard his name mentioned, but it would be interesting to see how the players react to him to say the least.

At this stage, any of those four have would hold more excitement for me supporting Rovers than shoulder-shrugging-sighing-disinterested-distant-"their club" Mogga did.

True. At least Deila won Scottish Premier at Celtic. 

28 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't know too much about Deila, to be perfectly honest, but his managerial career to date holds up (minus a couple of years at Valerenga).

Apparently plays high tempo attacking football, ideally for more than half a season...

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 19.58.47.png

Win percentages for managers are not a sensible method of figuring out how good they are. That said, the best two spells there are either very brief (Brodd, 4th tier in Norway I believe too) or when managing the only side who had a remotely realistic chance of winning their league at the time (Celtic), so it's extra unhelpful.

I'm not familiar with the guy, but looking through his Wiki to get an overview of his career, it seems he did a stellar job with Stromsgodset, taking them from relegation-threatened in his first two seasons (2008-2010), to cup winners in 2010 and champions of Norway in 2013. I don't know much about that club to know how much of an achievement that was, except that it was their first time as national champions in 43 years.

So a pretty good start to his career, albeit a couple of years before success came. Off to Celtic for two years, a side who had no peers at the time in a poor league, where he won the title both seasons and the Scottish League Cup once. Hard to judge his time there without being a regular SPL watcher due to the disparity between clubs, but despite the two titles he stepped down end of the second season, to go back to the Norweigan league for some reason, which can only be seen as a backwards step. Presumably because of things like his poor performance in Europe, and losing a domestic semi-final to Rangers in his second season.

Didn't excel at Valerenga, finishing 8th and then 6th in a 16-club league that he had previously conquered with Stromsgodset.

Then went to New York City FC (not to be confused with New York Redbulls) in Jan 2020. Think the season became disrupted by covid later, but no real success there until winning the MLS Cup in 2021. I don't understand the MLS structure very well, but apparently that makes them the winners of the whole MLS, as they have a playoff after the season. It was the first MLS championship won by a New York club, and it looks like it was after a season in which he oversaw quite a lot of ins and outs, which could bode well here.

In terms of other recruitment objectives we seem to have...has worked with a Sporting Director before, at Stromsgodset if nowhere else. Hasn't managed in England. Presumably compensation required. Overall I think his CV reads as 'we could do better', but there's also a solid chance we won't.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rover23 said:

He’s experienced three leagues that are a crap standard, has no experience of English football, and his most recent football experience is in the top flight league that has the least pressure 

Deila is a passionate progressive coach/manager who has won trophies and experienced three different countries. I think you'll find managing Celtic being enough pressure. He's known for his modern methods, and has spent time at the top clubs in Europe to learn from the best. 

He'd be a punt like Farke was when Norwich plucked him as a reserve coach from Germany. I'd rather try him or JDT than Ainsworth/Warne, although at this point I'd probably settle for either one of them, just to get someone in the door. 

Anybody that comes in will have a massive task with a very thin squad, late start, no structure in place and seemingly not scouting in place either. My expectations for next season are very low because the new manager will be dealt a very bad hand. 

• Like 2

Now and again a league 1 manager comes up trumps like Chris Wilder, got Northampton up from league 2, went to Shef Utd got them up to championship and a couple of years after up to the premier…

Till you try them nobody knows….

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, briansol said:

Anybody that comes in will have a massive task with a very thin squad, late start, no structure in place and seemingly not scouting in place either. My expectations for next season are very low because the new manager will be dealt a very bad hand. 

All the more reason to get a manager in who knows the league and English football.