BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Leonard on for Vale 85 mins...still 2-2

Vale gets 85 mins against Celtic!

Pleased that JDT seems to have sussed out that Butterworth isn't going to make it at this level.

Garrett, Hedges, Markanday and Leonard all brought on before him.

More of an even keel the second half after Celtic put their second string on.  

Good to see Vale play 85mins. Not easy when you don’t see a lot of the ball but he showed some nice glimpses, particularly back to goal under pressure. Lovely assist too. 

great  for Ayala to get an hour or more as well.  Desperate for him to stay fit, as unlikely as it seems. 

Think JDT will be pleased, particularly getting minutes in the first team legs against a superior side. Glad Celtic took it easy on us in the end. They could have put us to the sword if they kept Kyogo and Abada on. 

still need  5 or 6 first team players. 

• Like 1

I thought that was pretty good to be fair. Apart from the suspect full back positions covered through this thread, there were plenty of positives. I don’t think Vale looked out of place at all alongside BB and Gally.

Edited by Hasta

The commentators were impressed by Rovers....particularly Diaz and Gally...

With Mowbray in charge this would had been an insulting big loss....think JDT has done wonders so far with such a threadbare squad. We need some signings for sure.

• Like 1

Good to see quite a few of the youngsters get some minutes. Don’t think any of them looked out of place against a strong Celtic side.

At least the future looks bright for us as far as the academy is concerned.

I like the look of Hedges, he works really hard for the team. Don’t think he’ll pull up any trees this season, but good player to have in the squad.

• Like 5

Good run out for the lads. Gally MOTM for us, Dolan did well and Diaz took his goal really well. Pickering needs replacing I’ve thought as much for a while and today confirmed it for me. Carter obviously not a right back but think he’ll be okay to step in at centre half when needed. 

• Like 3

Overall, that was a decent work-out. 

Definitely confirms  we're short in places but I thought we stuck to our task well. We looked dangerous on the counter and had an effective press in Celtic's half when we committed to it.

Some positives to take away but now we need to get some new faces in. 

A moral boosting draw in the end, a lot of changes from Celtic for the 2nd half certainly favoured us.

Thought Gallagher did well overall, whilst Pickering and Carter improved as they game went on.

We made quite a lot of late changes so difficult to gauge many who came on.

Dolan looked lively, but reinforcements 100% needed over the next couple of weeks

Today shows we aren’t a million miles off being a good side, but we have some glaring problems that if not addressed will put us in trouble. There’s an obvious issue if Brereton leaves, but our options up the top end look ok. An experienced central midfielder would be nice, but we need 3 good defenders through the door asap.

We’d have won that today with Nyambe and Lenihan.