BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can shave a big fraction off going forward for relegation wage drops. And a number of those will be attractive to new clubs so it will come massively down and be supplemented by parachute money. 

Do Leeds players have relegation wage drop clauses in their contracts? 

Also surely they have to sort out their ownership problems first? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also surely they have to sort out their ownership problems first? 

That would require superhuman levels of stupidity, there's only one club that I would expect that from, Rovers.

Not every club is owned by venkys.

9 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I can't imagine they don't have relegation clauses. Must be fairly standard practice for most clubs?

One of the exceptions were Rovers when the relegation clauses were (allegedly) removed by Kean and Anderson who then were paid for the renegotiation of players contracts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You would expect almost every senior player would, particularly those on high wages.

Relegation release clauses, as per Aaronson and one other player who I've forgotten the name of, should help to shift players. Having said that, Leeds United bought Aaronson for ~£25m, and given that he reportedly didn't show much of that worth, they might have to sell him (and others) for less than the release clause. Even the stupidest owners will understand that you can't maintain certain wages in the Championship, even if you're a club with the revenue of Leeds United and parachute payments.

If Leeds United's hand is forced by selling certain players at cut prices, the only sticking points might be wages. You'd expect the highest earners to be moved on at any cost. Rodrigo, Bamford, Rutter, Sinisterra, Roca, and Harrsion are only on wages of more than £60k per week. Surely even Leeds United can't maintain that in the Championship.

Edited by goozburger

11 minutes ago, goozburger said:

You would expect almost every senior player would, particularly those on high wages.

Relegation release clauses, as per Aaronson and one other player who I've forgotten the name of, should help to shift players. Having said that, Leeds United bought Aaronson for ~£25m, and given that he reportedly didn't show much of that worth, they might have to sell him (and others) for less than the release clause. Even the stupidest owners will understand that you can't maintain certain wages in the Championship, even if you're a club with the revenue of Leeds United and parachute payments.

If Leeds United's hand is forced by selling certain players at cut prices, the only sticking points might be wages. You'd expect the highest earners to be moved on at any cost. Rodrigo, Bamford, Rutter, Sinisterra, Roca, and Harrsion are only on wages of more than £60k per week. Surely even Leeds United can't maintain that in the Championship.

I agree that those contracts should have those clauses in them but whether their director of football Orta did none of us know for sure but I expect a fire sale at Leeds cos they have huge problems to sort like which owner will be in charge, when will Director of football and head coach been appoint, transfers in and out. 

Today's i newspaper has an article about what a mess Leeds are in now. Their American investors were due to pay £220m for Radrizzani's 56% share to take control in the Summer. That would value Leeds at £420m, but the paper suggests that they are probably only worth £170m with relegation. It's not clear whether Radrizzani would be willing to take that hit to get out. He might decide to stay and hope that they get promoted quickly whilst they still have parachute payments. 

We had all of this when Aston Villa went down

The truth is that the parachute payments will do exactly what they are designed to do: protect Leeds Utd from the careless financial decisions they made to try and compete in the Premier League

Leeds will likely follow the same route as Villa. Write off a lot of losses in this years financial accounts and give them breathing room for 2 more years. The parachute money will help them out

In that time they will either sell everybody or make their managerial appointment correctly and find their way back to the riches. They are at a significant advantage to the rest of us

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Today's i newspaper has an article about what a mess Leeds are in now. Their American investors were due to pay £220m for Radrizzani's 56% share to take control in the Summer. That would value Leeds at £420m, but the paper suggests that they are probably only worth £170m with relegation. It's not clear whether Radrizzani would be willing to take that hit to get out. He might decide to stay and hope that they get promoted quickly whilst they still have parachute payments. 

similar article in the Athletic. Also a number on Leicester and what gone wrong there. 

on Leeds, the different owners are having similar disagreements according the Athletic. Like it was American investors who wanted Sam Allardyce in or over January signing of Rutter who Radrizzani wanted a loan to buy whilst the American investors wanted to buy him. 

I don't know what the situation is with Leeds contract clauses.

However, the negotiations at Leeds and Leicester would have been very different. 

At Leicester agents would have been negotiating hard for bonuses for Champions League, Europa League,  European Conference qualifications,  progression and winnings not forgetting domestic cups. The club could say the relegation clause is club policy and non-negotiable and player and agent accept it as a non-issue.

At Leeds, relegation was a very live issue and agents would have been doing everything possible to keep such clauses out if deals.

Leeds management folded to give those mediocre players those ridiculous monetary deals then they could have given in to demands avoiding relegation clauses too - I don't know but Leeds has been a mad house for a while now.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I don't know what the situation is with Leeds contract clauses.

However, the negotiations at Leeds and Leicester would have been very different. 

At Leicester agents would have been negotiating hard for bonuses for Champions League, Europa League,  European Conference qualifications,  progression and winnings not forgetting domestic cups. The club could say the relegation clause is club policy and non-negotiable and player and agent accept it as a non-issue.

At Leeds, relegation was a very live issue and agents would have been doing everything possible to keep such clauses out if deals.

Leeds management folded to give those mediocre players those ridiculous monetary deals then they could have given in to demands avoiding relegation clauses too - I don't know but Leeds has been a mad house for a while now.

Maybe the ridiculous deals at Leeds were given in exchange for the players signing up for punitive relegation clauses ?

On 27/05/2023 at 19:00, rigger said:

I remember, Muffin the mule.

Anyway, back to JDT.

I remember Muffin the mule too, with Annette Mills at the piano and Ann Hogarth pulling the strings. Do you remember Saturdays......Whirligig with Humphrey Lestoq and Saturday Special with Peter Butterworth. Mr Turnip and Hank Rides Again. Most on this board haven't a clue what we're on about.

Should I book myself into a care home?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Anyway, back to JDT.

I remember Muffin the mule too, with Annette Mills at the piano and Ann Hogarth pulling the strings. Do you remember Saturdays......Whirligig with Humphrey Lestoq and Saturday Special with Peter Butterworth. Mr Turnip and Hank Rides Again. Most on this board haven't a clue what we're on about.

Should I book myself into a care home?

I was more Bill and Ben, also Andy Pandy. Then best of all Noggin the Nog.

• Like 3