BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

15 minutes ago, Roversider said:

Whatever happens to GB the Director of Football model will continue at the club. So if he goes someone else will come in.

Tbf GB should probably go, if he is replaced with another DOF then fair enough. My main worry is Waggott reassuming control over football things (not that he has a good handle on the non football side of things). His handling of contracts alone is enough to disqualify him from that kind of role. 

The one big positive about GB is that he has communicated semi-regularly what we were trying to do. The silence this week has been deafening. Do you think waggott is going to come out and front up to any of this? Nope. And if he does he'll spin some line to try and encourage season ticket sales. 

In fact, on waggott, I can't stand the bloke. He tried to sell off the training ground for redevelopment and basically got away with it. I can't wait for the day he leaves this club. 

• Like 2

Whilst the club is undoubtedly now in a better position to do well in the short term on the field, I can't help but feel disappointed with the way things have turned out.

Desperately disappointed at the way things ended with JDT, he was a massive breath of fresh air, even till the bitter end when he had his legs taken away from beneath him in multiple transfer windows.

Fans should rightly get behind the new manager, who on the face of it is a solid appointment, but can't help but feel that the real winners this week are Waggott and Venkys. They have potentially escaped a cauldron of emotion being poured their way if JDT had been the manager this weekend.

The statement from JDT says it all really. And clearly GB must be frustrated to a large extent as well - fairly classy message he sent to JDT I thought. Whilst not faultless, I feel he is at least trying his very best to move us forwards, despite also being handcuffed.

Edited by jones_rover
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Then attendances will go lower. Simple as. Can't keep increasing prices. They need cut massively.

You can't cut the budget anymore otherwise its league 1. Simple as

they could sell?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

In fact, on waggott, I can't stand the bloke. He tried to sell off the training ground for redevelopment and basically got away with it. I can't wait for the day he leaves this club. 

Amen to that my friend, amen to that.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, jones_rover said:

Whilst the club is undoubtedly now in a better position to do well in the short term on the field, I can't help but feel disappointed with the way things have turned out.

Desperately disappointed at the way things ended with JDT, he was a massive breath of fresh air, even till the bitter end when he had his legs taken away from beneath him in multiple transfer windows.

Fans should rightly get behind the new manager, who on the face of it is a solid appointment, but can't help but feel that the real winners this week are Waggott and Venkys. They have potentially escaped a cauldron of emotion being poured their way if JDT had been the manager this weekend.

The statement from JDT says it all really. And clearly GB must be frustrated to a large extent as well - fairly classy message he sent to JDT I thought. Whilst not faultless, I feel he is at least trying his very best to move us forwards, despite also being handcuffed.

I don’t understand how losing Ennis ,Wharton and Travis plus our manager and bringing in kids on loan and old age crocks plus relatively inexperienced manager who doesn’t know the players and said in his own words we don’t have much time on the training field due to the amount of games puts us in an UNDOUBTEDLY better position.   

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Nothing but love and respect for JDT from me here.

Impossible to really jusdge whether he was truly great or not as every transfer window we had it was a complete disaster leading to a weaker squad than what it was before. 

He cut through the smog that has engulfed the club for 13 years like a stiff breeze and laid blame at the feet of those responsible. 

It wasn't all brilliant, one or two games in particular were beyond awful but on the whole it's been good.

In the whole time venkys have been here he has been the only club official to show pride, ambition, integrity and most importantly respect for the fans.

So good luck Jon Dahl Tomasson, I'm sure you'll prove to be a top top manager in the future. Thanks for actually showing us what a real football club should be like and giving us, the fans, some long overdue respect.

He gave us a glimpse of what we could be.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

I think we all deserve a strong drink after the past few weeks. 

Cheers!

image.png.d72269cb88c6c6d5f5290a13efae9aef.png

It's times like this that I wish I was a drinker.

Eustace is probably about as good as we were realistically ever getting (presuming Big Sam was never happening), but I can't help feeling that it's just...same shit, same outcome, different day.

For his faults, JDT had that sprinkle of something special about him - and that's what gave me hope.

And the club are clearly trying to distract us from whatever shenanigans went down on deadline day.
Make no mistake, that was 100% not an admin error/oversight. Not 3 times in 12 months. Not a single chance.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Nothing but love and respect for JDT from me here.

Impossible to really jusdge whether he was truly great or not as every transfer window we had it was a complete disaster leading to a weaker squad than what it was before. 

He cut through the smog that has engulfed the club for 13 years like a stiff breeze and laid blame at the feet of those responsible. 

It wasn't all brilliant, one or two games in particular were beyond awful but on the whole it's been good.

In the whole time venkys have been here he has been the only club official to show pride, ambition, integrity and most importantly respect for the fans.

So good luck Jon Dahl Tomasson, I'm sure you'll prove to be a top top manager in the future. Thanks for actually showing us what a real football club should be like and giving us, the fans, some long overdue respect.

Great post and I couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 2

Tomasson leaves as a bit of a martyr and its hard not to like him considering how hes not been shy in speaking out amidst the owners really strangling him and it feels like his departure is a bit of a fuck you to them and their associated cronies. 

Im not too sure how his managerial career will pan out from here or if he is a really talented manager or not. I feel like peoples opinions of him are perhaps biased because of what I mentioned in the first paragraph but there have been signs even allowing for the limitations the squad of weaknesses in his management. The defensive and set piece records are unacceptable (worst in the league) and he has been too stubborn in his style which has been counterproductive.

That being said, last season he did very well to match the points tally of the season prior and narrowly miss out of the play offs. He like Mowbray before found a small and young squad struggling to maintain the pace of promising starts to get over the line. Our progress in the cups has also been a huge positive under him. I am genuinely unsure whether at a more normal club (or it seems country, unsure if that will suit him without that time on the training ground) he will flourish or if his weaknesses will continue, as he clearly has the capability to improve players. Rankin Costello, Szmodics and Adam Wharton came on leaps and bounds under him.He seems to have clashed with big personalities at times (notably Travis and Dack) so I wonder if that is a potential red flag.

Interestingly, if you split his time here into half seasons, his most successful was the first half of his first season when he had yet to properly get his style across and we were very pragmatic but also incredibly clinical and efficient. As time went on we started to dominate teams but that caused results to slide. The "project" has obviously changed since and im unsure if it was partly down to the instructions of Broughton etc to play a certain way but he hasnt got the best from what he has this season which admittedly isnt much.

I feel like putting the general mess to one side for a minute, Tomasson is not the right man for the job even if it took him to decide that after the final straw of the McGuire farce. Hopefully Eustace can solidify us but its hard to think anything other than warmth towards Tomasson as a person.

• Like 3

I have heard that a lady office worker/secretary has been binned and carried the can for the McGuire charade. These tossers must not know that only the CEO or the club secretary can deal with the EFL regarding transfers. It seems they have found a sacrificial lamb. 

6 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I have heard that a lady office worker/secretary has been binned and carried the can for the McGuire charade. These tossers must not know that only the CEO or the club secretary can deal with the EFL regarding transfers. It seems they have found a sacrificial lamb. 

If I was the head honcho regarding transfers, after last years balls up, there would be no way that I would be letting anyone else do the job. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

OMG, I hope this all comes out in the wash but we'll get no info out of the curry munchers.

If this is true how can she possibly be responsible, what did she do or not do and why no oversight.

43 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

If that's true I hope someone reaches out to her and helps her have the club for wrongful dismissal 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tomasson is not the right man for the job even if it took him to decide that after the final straw of the McGuire farce.

No-one is the right man for the job with Venkys in charge, no such person exists and Jdt wanted to leave at the end of last season but Venkys insisted he fulfilled his contract. 

That sentence doesn't make sense anyway!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

Amidst the gloom of the past decade, that FA Cup match against Leicester will be one I'll always be fond of. We were electric for those first 70 minutes and looked like we belonged in the PL. 

If JDT takes the Sweden national job it's an odd one for me, as I'd have expected him to stay in club management, but I wish him well wherever he goes. For the first time in a very long time it felt like the manager was on our side, genuinely, and to me at least that means a lot. There were low points during his reign, of course, but I think with backing for the project he came in for he would have had us in a decent position. 

The Sweden job was just his quickest route out of this circus without owing the Venky's 18 months of his contract. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

No-one is the right man for the job with Venkys in charge, no such person exists and Jdt wanted to leave at the end of last season but Venkys insisted he fulfilled his contract. 

That sentence doesn't make sense anyway!

You are right that whoever has the job is going to be up against it with these dreadful owners.

That being said, amidst the restrictions, his stubbornness to playing expansive football was leaving a limited group unnecessarily exposed. Our defence may not be great but it isnt the worst in the league. A more pragmatic manager like Eustace may suit working under such restrictions.

It wasnt worded well, but my point was that it wasnt the club who decided to make a change. We arent a normally run club and it was Tomasson himself who made the decision that he couldnt continue.

I think although Tomasson agreed to go for free in the summer, maybe he wasnt willing to agree to buy out his contract if like as he seems about to do, another job comes up within the final 2 years of his contract.

Changing managers and keeping the same owners (and to a lesser extent, board) does feel like moving the deckchairs on the titanic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed, but I wouldn't be that surprised if we miraculously somehow just miss out on Eustace and end up with someone way worse.

I wasn't comparing the 2 directly.

I just think it's a very sad state of affairs that fans are reduced to worrying we won't get bog-standard John Eustace in the hotseat. I'm finding it really hard to stay invested these days. Every time optimism grows for a new dawn, Venkys find some way to fuck everything all to shit again. That's no way to follow a club, feeling like any hope you get is pointless because a fresh shafting is just around the corner.

Wow, we're playing attractive football and 2nd in the league, it's happening! Oh wait, here's a godawful and embarrasing January window to ruin it.

Oh, we still only missed out by a gnat's hair on the playoffs! I'm sure next season we ca- oh we've sold our best goalkeeper, replaced him with a dogshit one, sold a massively promising young CB for well below what we should, and reinvested very little of it. Ok cool.

Well maybe the January window can get us back on track, keep the manager onboard and reverse our form. We also have this absolutely prodigal talent in our midfield, a Rovers fan too! We will probably get at least another year out of him and then maybe up to 30 million we can strengthen the squad with - oh fuck nevermind. We've sold him for a little over half that, and reinvested fuck all from a club record fee so that we can help out the owners, pissed the manager off enough to leave, and now we're worrying about whether a guy with a brief and very middling record joining.

(I wrote all this before the appointment, I just didn't get to posting it)

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Changing managers and keeping the same owners (and to a lesser extent, board) does feel like moving the deckchairs on the titanic.

Question - If you paint a turd a different colour, is it still a turd?

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I just think it's a very sad state of affairs that fans are reduced to worrying we won't get bog-standard John Eustace in the hotseat. I'm finding it really hard to stay invested these days. Every time optimism grows for a new dawn, Venkys find some way to fuck everything all to shit again. That's no way to follow a club, feeling like any hope you get is pointless because a fresh shafting is just around the corner.

Wow, we're playing attractive football and 2nd in the league, it's happening! Oh wait, here's a godawful and embarrasing January window to ruin it.

Oh, we still only missed out by a gnat's hair on the playoffs! I'm sure next season we ca- oh we've sold our best goalkeeper, replaced him with a dogshit one, sold a massively promising young CB for well below what we should, and reinvested very little of it. Ok cool.

Well maybe the January window can get us back on track, keep the manager onboard and reverse our form. We also have this absolutely prodigal talent in our midfield, a Rovers fan too! We will probably get at least another year out of him and then maybe up to 30 million we can strengthen the squad with - oh fuck nevermind. We've sold him for a little over half that, and reinvested fuck all from a club record fee so that we can help out the owners, pissed the manager off enough to leave, and now we're worrying about whether a guy with a brief and very middling record joining.

(I wrote all this before the appointment, I just didn't get to posting it)

If you took it to ITV with a view to making a sit com out of the story they’d laugh you out of the room .

• Like 1