BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

I have to chuckle at everyone trying to work out the way we can sneak into the Playoffs at the end of the season.

We could have been 7 points clear of the chasing pack if we'd beaten Birmingham. We simply don't score enough goals - imagine having to play Boro. They'd embarrass us. 

Roll on next season and, hopefully, a very productive summer transfer window. 

• Like 6

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, Tom said:

What a chance for someone, there’s no team to fear in the playoffs or in contention, us included.

Boro the pick of the bunch but the rest no great shakes

Maybe a bit harsh on Luton. They may not be too pleasing on the eye but they are where they are on merit, they've only conceded 3 more than Burnley, 1 more than Sheff Utd and also lost two less games than Sheff Utd. They'd be a very tough nut to crack, especially over two legs. 

• Like 3

Mowbray is a dinosaur. He's got a very good squad at Sunderland. If things are going well, Mowbray is quite good at riding the wave because he gives the players so much responsibility. He let's them go out there and do their thing and allows them to run the dressing room.

When things are not going well Tony is a bloody nightmare. At the time where the players really need a manager he goes missing, insular, stubborn, blaming everyone but himself. These are observations but the results back this up. He's horrendous at turning things around when things go south. 

Given the quality of Sunderlands squad its no surprise to see them in the mix. But Tony was an average manager when he was here and that's not changed overnight. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Maybe a bit harsh on Luton. They may not be too pleasing on the eye but they are where they are on merit, they've only conceded 3 more than Burnley, 1 more than Sheff Utd and also lost two less games than Sheff Utd. They'd be a very tough nut to crack, especially over two legs. 

And they are the 2nd best away team in the league after Burnley.

So now all rivals have played: 

Have to beat Millwall no matter what mathematically, otherwise we can’t surpass both themselves and Coventry (regardless of Luton result)

So 3 scenarios from the Luton result:

Win: It’s fully in our hands, not reliant on any other results. Beat Millwall and in. 

Draw: Still in it, need to beat Millwall, but now reliant on Sunderland not beating PNE and WBA not beating Swansea too.

Lose: Season over, nothing to play for against Millwall (unless we beat Millwall by 6 goals, Sunderland don’t beat PNE and WBA don’t beat Swansea)

• Like 1

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, superniko said:

Have to beat Millwall no matter what mathematically, otherwise we can’t surpass both themselves and Coventry (regardless of Luton result)

Win: It’s fully in our hands, not reliant on any other results. Beat Millwall and in. 

Draw: Still in it, need to beat Millwall, but now reliant on Sunderland not beating PNE and WBA not beating Swansea too.

Lose: Season over, nothing to play for against Millwall (unless we beat Millwall by 6 goals, Sunderland don’t beat PNE and WBA don’t beat Swansea)

Scandalous if we don't even take it to last day again having been is such good positions two seasons on trot.

I try and stay positive thinking how we could barely break into the top 6 for about 8 years.

2 years in and amongst it should feel like a giant step in the right direction. 

But somehow I feel as hallow and defeated as ever. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silas said:

Scandalous if we don't even take it to last day again having been is such good positions two seasons on trot.

I try and stay positive thinking how we could barely break into the top 6 for about 8 years.

I always feel like if we had some sort of amalgamation of the last 3 years we’d walk the league, but it’s never clicked each year. 
Adam Wharton with Harvey Elliott pulling the strings and Diaz (not Brereton) and Armstrong 2nd top scorers in the league. With Van Hecke and Hyam at the back and JDT in charge. 
We’ve been unfortunate that all those league leading stars/moments/positions we’ve had haven’t overlapped in the same year and it’s led to a lot of 8th-12th style squads. 

Maybe next year will be the one, though I won’t hold my breath for the transfer window. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, superniko said:

I always feel like if we had some sort of amalgamation of the last 3 years we’d walk the league, but it’s never clicked each year. 
Adam Wharton with Harvey Elliott pulling the strings and Diaz (not Brereton) and Armstrong 2nd top scorers in the league. With Van Hecke and Hyam at the back and JDT in charge. 
We’ve been unfortunate that all those league leading stars/moments/positions we’ve had haven’t overlapped in the same year and it’s led to a lot of 8th-12th style squads. 

Maybe next year will be the one, though I won’t hold my breath for the transfer window. 

Flowers in goal. Tugay in midfield.  Shearer as our number 9. Duff putting in the crosses. Just kidding

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Silas said:

Part of the problem is seeing so many teams on a similar level to us manage to get there. Luton are about to get into the playoffs for the second season in a row. Huddersfield, who are now 21st, were in it last year. I don't believe we are any worse off than the likes of Coventry, Millwall or Sunderland. Coventry were forced to sell us their best defender at the start of the season because of their financial problems!

You just get this feeling of... why is it never our turn? Even if we didn't make it, can't we just have one season where we at least have a little bit of hope that we might make it back? Why does it always end up this way, from the days of Bowyer until now? Plenty of dysfunctional clubs have managed it, so what kind of ridiculous curse do we have on us? 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Part of the problem is seeing so many teams on a similar level to us manage to get there. Luton are about to get into the playoffs for the second season in a row. Huddersfield, who are now 21st, were in it last year. I don't believe we are any worse off than the likes of Coventry, Millwall or Sunderland. Coventry were forced to sell us their best defender at the start of the season because of their financial problems!

You just get this feeling of... why is it never our turn? Even if we didn't make it, can't we just have one season where we at least have a little bit of hope that we might make it back? Why does it always end up this way, from the days of Bowyer until now? Plenty of dysfunctional clubs have managed it, so what kind of ridiculous curse do we have on us? 

They're called venkys

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, superniko said:

Fuck me! My head is spinning. All Rovers have to do is win our last two games. On current form this is not very likely. I hope we do because I'd like the players to experience the play-offs.

We definitely won't go up this season. But I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window and next season which could be a belter.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

Good post.

Even on the principle of Buggins's Turn we're long overdue to have a go at the playoffs

We've seen much lesser clubs get to the PL (and stay there in some cases|) over the past decade yet here we are, still clutching at straws just to make the last 6.

Come on whoever's watching over us up there, give us a chance 

• Like 5