BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

Given Szmodics technique, movement and relentless workrate being more than a match for your decent Championship player I am a bit confused why he has only really got to Championship level at 28. In the 8 seasons he has played prior to joining Rovers he played 3 seasons in League 2, 4 in league 1 and only one in the Championship. 

Shows there is decent quality down there if you can find it.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Whilst I generally agree with your reasoning, and that we should be able to (and are able to) freely discuss pros and cons of a player as soon as we have seen them, and to an extent before we have seen them, the 'some reason' you allude to is that there's an assumption that a player will take time to bed in. New club, new teammates, new manager, new area, new tactics, often a new league or even new country. It's natural to assume a player will take time to settle in and adapt to all of this, and there is a fair bit of apparent precedent for it.

So if the player struggles, it's easy enough to think it may be down to those factors, and it may be. If a player hits the ground running, it's easy to assume those factors haven't made much difference, or that he's just that good that he's playing well in spite of them, and can only get better or at least is less likely to tail off as any natural change in form may be offset by having settled in. There's logic in this too, although there is certainly precedent of players who have set off on fire at a club and tailed off, perhaps due to adrenaline and hunger when they arrive, starting as an unknown quantity for opposition, or sheer dumb luck.

There's a lot of psychology at play, and I think this is another reason some supporters tend towards saying give them time. It's only a messageboard, and I maintain we can say what we want on here, but if players get a sniff the wider fanbase is criticising them, when they're new, confidence can spiral. So I can see where people are coming from when they say these things. Attempting to shut down debate is something I'm not in favour of though. But I do think people should steer away from comments like 'he's clearly a waste of money' or 'he's shit' or 'he'll never make it here' when it's just been a few games, or even a couple of months really. Comments like 'so far he isn't looking like he'll contribute enough to warrant the fee' however, are totally fair. The problem for me comes from posters who attempt to shut down both types of remarks and don't do balance.

I do get the fact that players need to settle in, and that over the top conclusions are unnecessary.

It doesnt affect their confidence to speak on here though as if you are commenting at the games with your mates. Its the beauty of new signings, you watch them once or twice, wow he looks good or alternatively he looks crap. Then sometimes those who struggle initially might push on and like Szmodics get all the praise they deserve at that point. All part of being a football fan. 

• Like 1

Hmm... interesting that he has gone back to join training with the Rovers squad. Suggests it isn't like a family or medical emergency. Maybe found out he wouldn't make the team or the bench and told them he'd rather go home?

I wonder if Hungary are buzzing around seeing if they could get him.

All speculation anyway.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmm... interesting that he has gone back to join training with the Rovers squad. Suggests it isn't like a family or medical emergency. Maybe found out he wouldn't make the team or the bench and told them he'd rather go home

probably was`nt impressed with kenny and his training methods,had no chance of starting and was there to make up the numbers,hence he decided he would be better off back home with the family to enjoy the rest of his  week off

24 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

probably was`nt impressed with kenny and his training methods,had no chance of starting and was there to make up the numbers,hence he decided he would be better off back home with the family to enjoy the rest of his  week off

Seems a bit Stephen Ireland all over again.

Hope Sammy is not losing his hair.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 15:38, bluebruce said:

Whilst I generally agree with your reasoning, and that we should be able to (and are able to) freely discuss pros and cons of a player as soon as we have seen them, and to an extent before we have seen them, the 'some reason' you allude to is that there's an assumption that a player will take time to bed in. New club, new teammates, new manager, new area, new tactics, often a new league or even new country. It's natural to assume a player will take time to settle in and adapt to all of this, and there is a fair bit of apparent precedent for it.

So if the player struggles, it's easy enough to think it may be down to those factors, and it may be. If a player hits the ground running, it's easy to assume those factors haven't made much difference, or that he's just that good that he's playing well in spite of them, and can only get better or at least is less likely to tail off as any natural change in form may be offset by having settled in. There's logic in this too, although there is certainly precedent of players who have set off on fire at a club and tailed off, perhaps due to adrenaline and hunger when they arrive, starting as an unknown quantity for opposition, or sheer dumb luck.

There's a lot of psychology at play, and I think this is another reason some supporters tend towards saying give them time. It's only a messageboard, and I maintain we can say what we want on here, but if players get a sniff the wider fanbase is criticising them, when they're new, confidence can spiral. So I can see where people are coming from when they say these things. Attempting to shut down debate is something I'm not in favour of though. But I do think people should steer away from comments like 'he's clearly a waste of money' or 'he's shit' or 'he'll never make it here' when it's just been a few games, or even a couple of months really. Comments like 'so far he isn't looking like he'll contribute enough to warrant the fee' however, are totally fair. The problem for me comes from posters who attempt to shut down both types of remarks and don't do balance.

Message boards are all about opinions, good or bad, posts - good or bad are essential to keep them current and vibrant, ergo encouraging debate.

Professional players nowadays surely are coached about how negative "press" affects them and how to deal with it? 

Football psychology has been going on for some while.

On 11/10/2023 at 16:27, joey_big_nose said:

Given Szmodics technique, movement and relentless workrate being more than a match for your decent Championship player I am a bit confused why he has only really got to Championship level at 28. In the 8 seasons he has played prior to joining Rovers he played 3 seasons in League 2, 4 in league 1 and only one in the Championship. 

Shows there is decent quality down there if you can find it.

One reason might be his injuries. In his last year at Peterborough he had at least three significant spells out. He also withdrew from his last Eire call up with injury. At Rovers he’s had niggles but seems to have maintained a spell of fitness recently.

It’s a shame after all that that he leaves Ireland on personal grounds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

One reason might be his injuries. In his last year at Peterborough he had at least three significant spells out. He also withdrew from his last Eire call up with injury. At Rovers he’s had niggles but seems to have maintained a spell of fitness recently.

It’s a shame after all that that he leaves Ireland on personal grounds. 

He must have a good reason. He looks the type of bloke who loves to play.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

There's rumours of friction between him and Stephen Kenny and that he has an attitude problem.  Just rumours so far.

He strikes me as the sort of player who thinks he should be the first name on the team sheet. Nothing wrong with having faith in your own ability but not everybody sees it that way.

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He strikes me as the sort of player who thinks he should be the first name on the team sheet. Nothing wrong with having faith in your own ability but not everybody sees it that way.

I don't think you would get called up for your country for the first time and start giving it the " big I am", and he certainly doesnt strike me as that sort of person

Sure it's family related and like somebody posted earlier, could well be something to do with his wife being pregnant 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If someone wants to pay £5m+ for him then that's a great piece of business for us.

We’ll certainly make a good profit, but it’s only good business if he’s replaced with someone as good, or better.

Selling your key players and not adequately replacing them tends not to have a happy ending.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

We'll be doing well to hold onto him in January me thinks

Im not sure there will be lots of interest. Hes not young and he isnt Premier League standard or a long term investment.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It appears he’s playing with an injury at the moment. Not that you’d know that watching him out on the pitch. Todays third goal was a lovely touch.

He took painkillers after he scored his first so definitely.

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If someone wants to pay £5m+ for him then that's a great piece of business for us.

I don't see it as beneficial to sell him for any less than 8 million, and even then I'm not sure it would be the best idea in practice. I don't care what his value is in the market. We'd be lucky to have enough left after the Venkys budget shortfall and usual running costs black hole to buy a fairly reasonable replacement (who would still probably be worse).

• Like 2