BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

On 11/12/2022 at 22:00, Wheelton Blue said:

Tell that to the Lionesses.

On 11/12/2022 at 22:03, chaddyrovers said:

has a foreign coach ever won the world cup of a country? 

Chaddy you can't just ignore evidence that contradicts your points! It's poor etiquette. 

Also you are contradicting yourself as part of your championing of Southgate was him getting us to the finals of the Euros! It looks a bit daft to have the Euros count as part of your pro Southgate stance, but not for the Lionesses. 

Also whilst the answer to your question is no, a foreign coach has won the Euros in the men's with Greece. 

Edit - Fwiw I think there is an interesting point in there. Most success has come from countries having managers of the same nationality. Of course that has to be balanced out with most of the times the winners are the best footballing nations and therefore have the best players and managers available but it's food for thought. Maybe we should be looking at how weaker nations do with foreign coaches va same nation? There's an interesting discussion here, so no need to ignore the other side of it 🙂

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

FWIW, my opinion is that - with all other aspects and abilities being equal - it's preferable to choose an English manager over a foreign one, as they'd naturally be more invested etc.

However, to choose an English manager over a foreign one, purely because they're English and not necessarily the better choice otherwise, is short sighted.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

FWIW, my opinion is that - with all other aspects and abilities being equal - it's preferable to choose an English manager over a foreign one, as they'd naturally be more invested etc.

However, to choose an English manager over a foreign one, purely because they're English and not necessarily the better choice otherwise, is short sighted.

In any other industry it would also be illegal

• Like 1

Southgate is an extremely intelligent man who will do what is best for him and his family as the majority of us would do. I shuddered when I saw Brendan Rogers being linked with the job today though. Not because he isn't English but because I just don't rate him.

56 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Southgate is an extremely intelligent man who will do what is best for him and his family as the majority of us would do. I shuddered when I saw Brendan Rogers being linked with the job today though. Not because he isn't English but because I just don't rate him.

Southgate needs to be kept at all costs, I think he struggles with the pressures of England management, all the outside stuff rather than football related. But we have no outstanding candidates right now, which is another reason to make sure he stays on for me.

As for Rodgers, I rate him as a club manager, he was excellent at Liverpool I thought, but the fans always wanted a bigger name, he lasted longer than I thought he would. 

I don't think tonight's game will be a classic. Croatia will aim to dictate play through their world class midfielders and keep things extremely tight, whilst Argentina don't concede many chances (unless a 6'6 Burnley man gets thrown on). Will be either Messi's or Modric's last meaningful WC appearance which adds a good subplot to the evening. I'm personally keen to see Argentina through as otherwise I fear a boring repeat of 2018 if Croatia make it through again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I don't think tonight's game will be a classic. Croatia will aim to dictate play through their world class midfielders and keep things extremely tight, whilst Argentina don't concede many chances (unless a 6'6 Burnley man gets thrown on). Will be either Messi's or Modric's last meaningful WC appearance which adds a good subplot to the evening. I'm personally keen to see Argentina through as otherwise I fear a boring repeat of 2018 if Croatia make it through again.

Yeah, a France-Croatia repeat is not particularly enticing. I am hoping for Argentina-Morocco!

Really hope France get beaten tomorrow, not because I have anything against them, but just will make the final a lot more interesting. Morocco do have a kind of Greece 2004 vibe going on (though to be fair to them they are much better technically than that Greek side, and much more exciting to watch on the break).

• Like 2

I much prefer a manager of a national team being that nationality. It takes the English football approach of 'spend as much as we can until it works' out of it somewhat.

International football should be about everything, your infrastructure, your players, your grass roots programme and your coaching. Not whose FA has the most money to throw at the best managers in the world.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah, a France-Croatia repeat is not particularly enticing. I am hoping for Argentina-Morocco!

Really hope France get beaten tomorrow, not because I have anything against them, but just will make the final a lot more interesting. Morocco do have a kind of Greece 2004 vibe going on (though to be fair to them they are much better technically than that Greek side, and much more exciting to watch on the break).

I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Croatia will be the biggest test the Argies have come up against. Their midfield 3 are genuinely world class and work together perfectly. 

I see Croatia dominating, Argentina keeping it tight and looking to the magic man to keep carrying them. With Messi, they always have a chance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

I thought it would be closer but I fancied Argentina, still they have the abililty to throw two goal leads away.

All very quiet since England got knocked out.

Beat me to it. I thought some more would be interested after Rovers no show at the weekend.

If Croatia can get back to 2-1 then I’d fancy them to rattle the Argies, but a third and it’s game over. Alvarez seems to have four lungs.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom

Problem is Croatia are desperately boring to watch. They've done well to grind their way to the semis but they've only managed to score more than one goal in a single match in the tournament (4-1 Vs Canada). 

Argentina Vs Brazil would have been a much more entertaining semi. As funny as it was seeing Brazil dumped out, in reality it was to the detriment of the tournament. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This World Cup gets worse

The Messi cult is nauseating. No one should want Argentina to win

Come on Croatia

The Falklands was a long time ago, the world has moved on, so should you. 

What tremendous support once again by Argentina fans.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Enjoy him whilst you can, Jim, rather than getting wound up by him.

We all have our favourites. Messi doesn't excite me. Of this generation I'd rather watch C Ronaldo in his pomp. It's something in the way he moves. And neither can hold a candle to Pele

The media and in particular TV adoration of Messi is sickening and the Argentinians' celebrations when they beat the Netherlands showed them to be the scumbags they are

Come on Croatia

• Like 1

He excites me.

He doesn’t look like a footballer though, does he! If I didn’t know him and he was leant on the bar in the queens- and somebody told me he was currently the best footballer in the world, I would never, never, ever believe you.

Id have put him down as an Amazon warehouse worker.

• Like 1