BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/10/22

New song for Hull as per Arsenal’s Super Mik Arteta chant…

”We’ve got Super JDT

He knows exactly what we need

Hyam at the back, Gally in attack

Rovers on their way to Premier League”

Having watched Arsenal All Or Nothing recently the parallels with Arteta & JDT are similar…both in their early 40’s with distinguished playing careers, with limited experience managing a club after a long period of under achievement and instability. Both with very young teams and implementing a new structure and system with an emphasis on youth development. Like last season at Arsenal we’re very inconsistent currently but over time with the same consistent message and way of playing and further investment in the squad - we could be flying even higher this time next year; unbeaten and several points clear at the top! 🤞 

Going for another 2-1 Rovers victory at Hull. They’ve lost 8 games and have the worst goal difference in the league so we should be looking for the W on current form and with a week to prepare.

COYB 🌹 

• Like 1

I've never forgiven Hull for the horrible experience meted out to me and my mates who travelled down the M62 many years ago to the godforsakenshithole (technical term) that was 'Boothferry Park' for an evening kick off against the Tigers of nowhereland. Basically, on entry into the stadium, we discovered that it was possible to walk completely around the ground (kind of dates the event somewhat eh?!) and thus there was no segregation possible between rival sets of fans. Now, when I was a lad of about 17, which was about when this match took place more than 40 years ago, I was as stick thin as a garden rake and probably about 7 stone soaking wet in all of my clothes, so hardly what you might call a 'threat' to anyone. However, the lack of segregation permitted a group of locals, aged I recollect at least in their mid 20s, to target incoming individuals and groups of Rovers fans, which they duly did with me and my mates. This led to my discovery that it was possible to walk completely around aforesaid godforsakenshithole, as I was quickly separated from my group and then hounded mercilessly by a small group of inbred yobs whose main tactic was to wait till I was looking away, then kick me up the arse, whilst shouting rude oaths and other pernicious ribaldry at the top of their Gollum-spawn voices.

I have no idea what the score was at the end of the game, or indeed how I even made it out of the stadium, although quite clearly I survived, traumatised and with a sore arse - ooer! Never been back to the pus-filled cesspit that is Hull since, other than to pass through whilst boarding ferries to Amsterdam and Bruges. Probably never will go back at this rate, although the Mrs says it has a lot of history and well preserved heritage (although perhaps not in the Football Club eh?).

Back to the game - hmm, like Saturday against Big Club, I won't be surprised if we suffer a reverse, even if Hull are leakier than a trawler with tin-worm. This side is beginning to gel, and there are good players who can come back in and add to the strength in depth, but there is still the persistent smell of last year's baffling collapse and capitulation fresh in the nostrils of even the most ardent positive thinker on the terraces...

Hull 1 Rovers 1 would be a decent shout and not a bad result

Hull 0 Rovers 3 would be dreamland and very welcom

Hull 2 Rovers 0 bah humbug and I hope those arseholes who kicked me round Boothferry Park all those years ago are likewise now redeveloped into housing or bog land.

COYB!

As I sat watching the final seconds tick away yesterday, of Dallas/Detroit, in a 24-6, defense-dominated game, my mind rolled to Rovers. Detroit has the worst defense in the NFL. Cowboys started Dak, but no excuses.Dallas won, so no complaints.

Gotta win these games over teams 16th on the table. As mentioned previous, they have biggest goal diff in Championship, and have allowed most goals, hence, worst defending. 

I don’t know if we keep Brereton after January, but I expect him to score aplenty between now and then. our man Gally to make the score sheet, and one of the Wharton’s. 3-2, good guys, in a wild one. 

Oh yes, Vale signs a new 3-year deal. It shouldn’t affect this game, but how do the rest of you feel about this?

Edited by WacoRover

If we’re without Brittain and Hedges I worry. I suspect if that is correct, we will be something like…

Kaminski 

Carter Hyam Wharton 

Buckley Travis Szmodics Morton Pickering 

Brereton Gallagher

Can’t think of anything other than Buckley at RWB without a formation change. Carter perhaps but @Herbie6590 assures me he isn’t quick enough to play there. 

Hull win, unfortunately. Hope I’m wrong. 

My team and I have included Brittain, Hedges and Szmodics in my 18 match day squad. 

Kaminski 

Hyam  Ayala  S.Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Travis Morton Brittain

Gallagher Brereton-Diaz

Subs:- Pears, Carter, Pickering, A.Wharton, Vale, Hirst, Dolan

Adam Wharton surely deserves a start, him Travis and Morton would be the midfield 3 for me. 

We have 2 dependable full/wing backs on either side but very little in the way of alternatives, Hedges is a good player but he isn't a wing back, but the fact that he is the alternative says a lot, with the other alternatives being centre backs.

If both Brittain and Hedges miss out then we have a big problem. Do we go with a back 4 and Carter at right back, or do we put Buckley at wing back?

• Like 2

We have to play Pickering for left wing back and move Brittain to right back if Hedges is out. If Brittain is also out just play Carter there and keep the same shape. Carter played right wing back against Watford where he was very good there

Also, Hedges doesn't play as normal wing back when we have the ball, he drifts inside in centre midfield and it's all about movement and roaming around the pitch. `When we lost the ball Hedges goes back to right wing position for defending. 

• Like 2

If Hedges and Brittain are out then I think system change is the best answer. Treat it like the Blackpool game, defend the box well in a flat back four, focus on getting the simple things right up top with an easy to understand system like 4-2-3-1, maybe throw someone like Markanday in so we can keep that left-footed dynamic off the right hand side with no Hedges.

Kaminski

Travis
Hyam
S. Wharton
Pickering

Morton
A. Wharton

Markanday
Dack
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

If Hedges and Brittain are out then I think system change is the best answer. Treat it like the Blackpool game, defend the box well in a flat back four, focus on getting the simple things right up top with an easy to understand system like 4-2-3-1, maybe throw someone like Markanday in so we can keep that left-footed dynamic off the right hand side with no Hedges.

Kaminski

Travis
Hyam
S. Wharton
Pickering

Morton
A. Wharton

Markanday
Dack
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

Wasn’t Markanday missing through injury at the weekend ?

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Travis
Hyam
S. Wharton
Pickering

Morton
A. Wharton

Markanday
Dack
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

That team gets overrun in midfield and totally spanked.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Travis
Hyam
S. Wharton
Pickering

Morton
A. Wharton

Markanday
Dack
Brereton Díaz

Gallagher

Travis is awful as a right back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Adam Wharton surely deserves a start, him Travis and Morton would be the midfield 3 for me. 

We have 2 dependable full/wing backs on either side but very little in the way of alternatives, Hedges is a good player but he isn't a wing back, but the fact that he is the alternative says a lot, with the other alternatives being centre backs.

If both Brittain and Hedges miss out then we have a big problem. Do we go with a back 4 and Carter at right back, or do we put Buckley at wing back?

Definitely need Wharton to start - his confidence after getting off the mark. 

• Like 1

Hull away was one of my first away treks under our own steam with my mate who was a bit older and just passed his test.

Mid week game (we always seemed to play them midweek) freezing fog, mist, we nearly went on the wrong side against the traffic on the Humber Bridge - he'd only turned 17 then passed his crash course test a couple of weeks earlier !

After the near death experience we parked on a petrol garage forecourt after seeing the floodlights. Turned out we were still about two miles away and when we got back we obviously had a parking ticket.  Thank god clamping hadn't become fashionable just then.

As for the game i think we won 3-1 and Garner got a couple at the other end although we couldn't see for the fog. About 500 Rovers fans there in great voice with the usual array of songs (whatever happened to all that ?)

We didn't see any thugs or get booted up the arse thankfully, the crowd was very sparse and Hull always seemed such a cold soulless non footballing place.

Good memories though and i think it was almost identical the season after except we lost convincingly and Tony Finnigan got into a row with some Rovers fans.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Thought he was great against Blackpool and the system worked really well

I actually thought it was the Blackpool game that exposed how bad he was in that position, as so many attacks seemed to come down that side.

I love opinions 😂

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I actually thought it was the Blackpool game that exposed how bad he was in that position, as so many attacks seemed to come down that side.

I love opinions 😂

I don't think it's his best position, but if Brittain is out, and Hedges can't do the inverted wing-back thing, then I want a trusted player (captain of the side) filling in.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't think it's his best position, but if Brittain is out, and Hedges can't do the inverted wing-back thing, then I want a trusted player (captain of the side) filling in.

Buckley would be better suited imo, with Travis being the right-sided midfielder covering.

• Like 2

If Brittain and Hedges are out, as suspected…

kaminski

Hyam.   Ayala.   Wharton

Travis           Morton.           Pickering 

Szmodics.          Wharton 

Gallagher      Brereton-Diaz

Subs - Pears, Carter, Mola, Buckley, Garrett, Dolan, Vale

Id probably move Trav dependant on the threat from them. So if they’re particularly strong in midfield and less so out wide then you could bring Trav into the middle for Wharton and play Buckley at RWB. Alternatively, if we thought they were dangerous in both areas then Carter could play RWB.

I guess it will be the managers call based on what he sees.

Hedges and Brittain will be a loss. They’re key players. But I think we’ve got enough…

1-2 Rovers - Vale off the bench and off the mark after signing his contract 💙

Edited by Paul Mani