BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/10/22

5 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Hirst is so much better than Vale. That’s saying something. At least Hirst is fast and I think anyway, has shown some neat touches/control.

You must be joking, where do you tie up your guide dog when you go to the games at Leyland ?

• Like 4

If it wasn't for Kaminski things might have been different in a few matches I have seen. Save of the Season against Middlesborough and 3 World class saves against Birmingham. We can't keep switching off for the last half hour and depend on our keeper to dig us out of a hole. We need to concentate for 90 minutes and put games beyond doubt. Saturdays prediction 0-4 Rovers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Oh come off it. Jack Vale is national league standard. Hirst is probably top end league 1. 

As of his last couple of appearances for the U21s that I have watched, Hirst will be lucky to keep his place in the U21s. He may well improve, but at the moment he is scared to play the physical part of the game. The nearest I would compare it to is Matt Jansen after his bike crash.

Edited by rigger

2 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

If it wasn't for Kaminski things might have been different in a few matches I have seen. Save of the Season against Middlesborough and 3 World class saves against Birmingham. We can't keep switching off for the last half hour and depend on our keeper to dig us out of a hole. We need to concentate for 90 minutes and put games beyond doubt. Saturdays prediction 0-4 Rovers.

I keep hearing about these world class saves in the Brum game. Unfortunately I missed the match due to work, but I saw the highlights on sky's website. Are those the saves in question?

If they are, none of those are world class. All but one of them are virtually straight at him. The goal was right next to his head too, but I don't remotely blame him for that as the bloke absolutely lashed it. Tbh, apart from the one on one, which was fired right into his chest by the look of it (bit of luck that the shot wasn't great, bit of good positioning), I'd have been a bit mad if he'd let any of those in. Maybe the number of them, and the emotion of clinging onto the win when you all probably thought we were going to concede, has coloured views of it?

Again this is only if those are the right highlights. If some others are missing then fair enough. But if that's the lot, the superlatives are excessive.

The Boro save was quality.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Given the team some credit 3 games a week 3 wins in a week and the effort the players have put in ADDED to players doing the job they are in the team to do 👍

2 hours ago, Realistic Rover said:

Oh come off it. Jack Vale is national league standard. Hirst is probably top end league 1. 

I wouldn't agree with that - I've seen bits from Vale to suggest that he has something about him.

The assist at Celtic, the chances he created (and very nearly scored) at Blackpool, the smart play when he came on against B'ham - there have been others.

As much as I genuinely never want to discard any young player, Hirst has shown very, very little in the cameos we've seen from him. Looks lightweight, loses the ball often and doesn't show much sign of any footballing intelligence, so far.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

I wouldn't agree with that - I've seen bits from Vale to suggest that he has something about him.

The assist at Celtic, the chances he created (and very nearly scored) at Blackpool, the smart play when he came on against B'ham - there have been others.

As much as I genuinely never want to discard any young player, Hirst has shown very, very little in the cameos we've seen from him. Looks lightweight, loses the ball often and doesn't show much sign of any footballing intelligence, so far.

he is clearly not quite fit enough at the moment!

Pointless argument for me personally when it comes to Vale and Hirst, from what I’ve seen of both they look miles off it and not ready for championship football yet, surprised Vale got a new deal and I also wouldn’t be surprised if Hirst went back to Leicester in January and we got someone else in (if that was possible) 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't know about not fully fit. At the moment Hirst is scared of making a challenge.

Wonder if it's on the back of his mind what happened to his dad ?

Or he's just here to stay fit as he thinks he's off somewhere else in summer, either way not getting stuck in isn't go to lead itself to much of a career.

We don't know what he's like as a finisher though because we've never seen him getting on the end of things, apart from that dire penalty.

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Wonder if it's on the back of his mind what happened to his dad ?

Or he's just here to stay fit as he thinks he's off somewhere else in summer, either way not getting stuck in isn't go to lead itself to much of a career.

We don't know what he's like as a finisher though because we've never seen him getting on the end of things, apart from that dire penalty.

When you get a young forward from a decent Premier league club you expect an Archer or Davies....this lad is way off them two.

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Butty said:

Pointless argument for me personally when it comes to Vale and Hirst, from what I’ve seen of both they look miles off it and not ready for championship football yet, surprised Vale got a new deal and I also wouldn’t be surprised if Hirst went back to Leicester in January and we got someone else in (if that was possible) 

Reminds me a bit of when people used to argue about Samuel / Nuttall. The simple truth was that neither were good enough, and so it is here. We'll have to make do until January at least, but long-term we need better.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Reminds me a bit of when people used to argue about Samuel / Nuttall. The simple truth was that neither were good enough, and so it is here. We'll have to make do until January at least, but long-term we need better.

Good you've mentioned those two actually because we've come a long way since them thank god. We are debating back up forwards now one who has come up from the youth only recently and another who is at least only on loan and can be sent back. I'd rather be trying these two than carrying the likes of Samuel and Nuttall on thousands of pounds per week.

Broughton and JDT better pull their fingers out in summer though when we lose BBD and Dack, that is the real acid test.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Breretons improvements were as much down to him getting his strength up as anything else. Alongside being used more by the manager instead of ten mins here and there often when the team was struggling.

That happened to coincide with games in lockdown as well.

Absolutely, he has bulked up. Looks a unit now. 

• Like 1

It’s not rocket science lads and Brereton isn’t some type of anomaly. When he signed he was 19, had represented England at a few youth levels and had tore Arsenal a new arse in an FA cup game. The potential was there…the problem was, he wasn’t ready and some fans (not all ) are VERY quick to write off young players.

At the start of the season I asked a member of the current coaching team who they thought were the diamonds in our academy and the answer was instant…”Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton and Harry Leonard. We expect Phillips to be a £25m defender inside 12-18 months…he’s already got PL teams all over him”

Incidentally, he also suggested that the two he was most worried about based on JDT’s expectations were Ayala and Dack as there was a suggestion inside the club that they might not fit….it seems the former has got over those worries, the latter not so much.

The point I make is, ‘They’ know who are the better players etc. If you listen to the rumblings you can see who hasn’t had a chance.

I haven’t seen enough of Vale but they obv see something in him. Fingers crossed they’re right…tbf they’re not often wrong these days on youth! 600+ and counting!

• Like 2