BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/10/22

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

None of his five signings in January contributed one atom of play apart from Giles putting over a cross for a Khadra header. That takes some doing if you think about it. Five players signed for half a season and nothing achieved.

Yep he is 100% equally as much to blame as the ownership because hi DID get a degree of backing and didn't put it to any notable use.

Classic Mowbray policy - sign a good player who fits our system then play him in other positions instead.  Then a few squaddies as back up players and spend a transfer fee on a youth team player.

There was a time and a place for all that during his time here but last January wasn't it it needed a big push from all concerned including him. All he seemed concerned about was selling Rothwell, presumably thinking that would cement himself a new contract.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It is always interesting to see a fan's eye view of Rovers, especially when the fan has, as in this case, a decent turn of phrase and an appreciation of players in the opposition ranks as well as the qualities of his own side.

Personally I think the analysis is a bit flattering on Rovers, but having said that, it didn't feel like Hull were likely to score at any point, and Kaminski wasn't tested in any meaningful sense throughout.

Let's hope JDT can rinse and repeat on Tuesday (assuming the fixture goes ahead).

COYB!

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Lets have the full story when you keep referring back to last January please not just your edited Mowbray protecting version pal !

Hopefully JDT gets similar backing (at least) and proves less of a dud than Tony in that window.

Do you believe the club backed the manager sufficiently enough in January?

The original point was if the owners had backed a promotion push in January, which would include bringing in at least 2 top class signings for fees, we'd have made the playoffs. The players you mention, like the players last summer, were brought in on a shoestring budget, loans and free transfers, no outlay, money kept in the chicken coup. 

If JDT gets the same bargain basement backing this January you can wave goodbye to any promotion push, this squad can't cope for a full season with its current setup and needs more quality to make those playoffs.

Edited by Gav

29 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

It is always interesting to see a fan's eye view of Rovers, especially when the fan has, as in this case, a decent turn of phrase and an appreciation of players in the opposition ranks as well as the qualities of his own side.

Personally I think the analysis is a bit flattering on Rovers, but having said that, it didn't feel like Hull were likely to score at any point, and Kaminski wasn't tested in any meaningful sense throughout.

Let's hope JDT can rinse and repeat on Tuesday (assuming the fixture goes ahead).

COYB!

This from the article made me chuckle, though I think he's much better now under JDT

"had a bit of a donkey up front, in Gallagher"

2 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

COYB!

Good that 👍

2 hours ago, Gav said:

The original point was if the owners had backed a promotion push in January, which would include bringing in at least 2 top class signings for fees, we'd have made the playoffs. The players you mention, like the players last summer, were brought in on a shoestring budget, loans and free transfers, no outlay, money kept in the chicken coup. 

If JDT gets the same bargain basement backing this January you can wave goodbye to any promotion push, this squad can't cope for a full season with its current setup and needs more quality to make those playoffs.

With Mowbray as manager it doesn't matter who we bought in we would not have made the play offs. That's actually comforting to know in a way. He's just a rank awful manager and thank god we've moved on.

Edited by BlueBro
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He really wasn’t ‘rank awful’ though, was he? A steady eddy, but it had all got stale, so I think we all agree that it was time to move on.

But some of the hyperbole he attracts on here is just strange and not reflected at all in the real world, where generally fans think he did a decent enough job.

I'd say 1 win in 17 or whatever it was is pretty awful tbf. Anyway as you say the main thing is we've thankfully moved on now. I'll just be glad when his mate Waggott follows him out the door.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crozzy said:

I agree, used to live there and love the place. Fair enough they’ve got deep pockets etc but some of the boys performing well for them have been there ages. Almiron, Joelinton, Wilson and Saint Maximan. Not like they’ve spent £100m on a striker who’s banging for fun. Fair play If you ask me

I agree there

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

JDT just gets it! Always mindful of the impact on fans, and really has been since day one imo.

I have to agree there. He is very quick to praise Rovers fans and he makes a point every home game to clap the fans on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Mowbray had funds to spend in January that he didn't used I have led to believe. He didn't need to sell Rothwell to fund them. 

I also think you are underestimating the quality of the squad already. I would say we upgraded in 3 key areas from last season, Brittain at right back, Hyam at centre back and most importantly in head coach seat. JDT is tactical aware and the amount of coaching he is doing to the players can be seen on the pitch each game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

No i don't by my point is we don't know if there was anymore available if he presented something to them.  

We also do know that he didn't the bit he had as well as it could have been used. His signings, his use of them in the team and as much as we maligned the owners that bit is down to the manager at the time nobody else.

I'll pull you up on it every time you mention it so you might as well get used to it because you are spouting half truths to try and steer it all away from Mowbray.  

I believe if Broughton & JDT get similar leeway in Jan from this seasons budget they'll use it better.  That remains to be seen but promotion as always remains a long shot for whoever is running the team. I don't hold missing out on it last season against TM as we were batting above our station anyway as we are now but i won't have it he wasn't part responsible for the poor window and part responsible for the car crash few months in the new year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

No i don't by my point is we don't know if there was anymore available if he presented something to them.  

We also do know that he didn't the bit he had as well as it could have been used. His signings, his use of them in the team and as much as we maligned the owners that bit is down to the manager at the time nobody else.

I'll pull you up on it every time you mention it so you might as well get used to it because you are spouting half truths to try and steer it all away from Mowbray.  

I believe if Broughton & JDT get similar leeway in Jan from this seasons budget they'll use it better.  That remains to be seen but promotion as always remains a long shot for whoever is running the team. I don't hold missing out on it last season against TM as we were batting above our station anyway as we are now but i won't have it he wasn't part responsible for the poor window and part responsible for the car crash few months in the new year.

😄

You mentioned Mowbray not me, I talked about the owners lack of backing and JDT in January. 

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Belgium must have chances with Kaminski.

I think Kaminski is a very good championship keeper but at a higher level I think he'd get found out quickly and he'd be punished for some of his more erratic decisions  very regularly by better quality opposition

I love what he's doing for Us now though!

A point I'd forgot to mention that I was impressed with... 

I'm sure I saw Remy Reynierse as the boys were walking in at half time talking to Wharton and Morton on the pitch before they went in... Talking passionately about positioning and angles, like a very in depth discussion. 

Stuff like this is so good to see. The proactiveness and enthusiasm for the game. We give JDT the plaudits but it's also apparently this guy who's masterful at tactics and shape.  

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Said this on twitter the other day, really happy to see an upturn in Harry Pickering's performances, doesn't get much credit but has been a pretty strong performer this last month or two.

Pretty closely linked with Scott Wharton coming back from injury for me. He provides the cover Pickering needs.

Also - Adam Wharton with his left foot and a decent tackle provides more robustness there too.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

Watched the game back on iFollow as away at family events this weekend.. I love being proven wrong by the manager. Thought going into this changing away from the 352 was a major gamble, seeing as we had just won three on the spin and looked very defensively solid and dangerous on the break. Why change into a formation we had struggled in since the middle of August?

But.... it worked an absolute treat. In fact was a better performance all round than the last three games. We really restricted Hull and created a lot of solid chances. Why was that after really struggling in 4231 earlier this season? I'd say a few reasons 

1.  Hull themselves play 4411 so the issues where we have played 4231 against a 343 or 352 weren't there. They didn't outnumber us in midfield which is what really hurt us against the likes of Reading or Cardiff.
  2. Also, linked to the above, when we played 4231 before we would push the front four very high up leaving only two in the middle and a big gap to our forwards. Yesterday we dropped Szmodics a bit deeper, and he did a fantastic job covering in midfield and linking up attack. Another mea culpa - I was wondering earlier in the season what Sammie brought to the table that Dolan didn't have. I can now see he can combine Dolan's workrate with a much better tactical awareness and positioning that allows him to link up play in a much more effective way.
  3. Travis moving out of midfield so we had both Wharton and Morton as the deeper midfield pivots worked really well. It made passing it out from the back an absolute joy as either of them could pick up the ball on the half turn in a very Tugay sort of way. No one could get tight to them at all. If one was close the other could break free. Morton particularly is absolutely phenomenal in terms of finding space. When Britain or Hedges are back it's going to be a big call to put Travis back in there as he just hasn't got the same technical level (despite being a fantastic player in many regards).  Also I thought Morton and Wharton both put their foot in really well, I don't think we missed Travis' physicality at all to be honest.
  4. When we did start to struggle and get overrun in the midfield as the players tired we shifted back to back three and nullified the Hull threat.

I think we will probably settle into a bit of a groove where we use the 4231 against teams that play 4231 or 433, and use the 352 against teams that play 343 or 352. It's really nice to see that we continue to use a vast array of very young players in multiple systems and we keep the performance levels as high as they are.

It has been a relatively soft run of games, and the upcoming fixtures at Burnley just before the WC break and at Norwich just after will tell us a lot more about where we are - however, any neutral commentator would be looking at us now and taking us as serious contenders for an automatic promotion. Squad depth, share of goals round the team, defensively solidarity and clean sheets, grinding out results, tactically proficient in different systems to counter different threats. All the ingredients seem to be there to be right at the top come the end of the season. One key outstanding bit - as others have said - is we are yet to come back from falling behind. That will be a great hoodoo to solve.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Both things are true. The owners didn't sufficiently back the manager and the manager was a dick head who oversawyet another death spiral. 

• Like 2