BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (a) - 29/10/22

We had a good start last season and we all know how that went but somehow I’m feeling a lot more confident this time around. Will be genuinely surprised if we are not in the top 6 at the end of the season.

Feels like the stars are aligning a little bit this time around with the new manager, excellent recruitment over the summer, fantastic youngsters and a gem of a loan deal. The january window will be crucial though.

• Like 1

Anyone know what kind of travelling numbers we had there?

Another fantastic win, great to see us so solid. No shots on target, sounds like some of our away days earlier in the season! 

Onwards and upwards. Desperately hoping that either Cov is on or they award us the 3 points, don't want the game rearranged as that will stop the momentum!

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The most pleasing things today for me:

That defence 🤌 Hyam is the best defender in this league, Ayala not far behind, and Scotty Wharton did his best Craig Short impression. I feel as if this defense and Kaminski give each other a huge amount of confidence, something miasing since the days of Friedel, Nelsen and Samba.

Vale really looked like the player we saw vs Celtic and Blackpool, much better than recently.

Zidane wears Adam Wharton pyjamas.

Szmodics was brilliant, but just needed that finishing touch in a few areas, but I can see what JDT saw in him now. Hopefully he and Dack can complement each other behind Gallagher if ever we need to go full 'Christmas Tree'.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I may well have been letting my mind run away down a rabbit hole on Dack. If there were any issues from JDT, they weren't on show today and while he wasn't able to influence the game, Dack certainly did put himself about all over the pitch in his short time on it.

A superb, professional win, that really should've seen us defending  4-0 lead from half-time rather than 1-0, but this team refuses to concede goals now.

It reminds me of a budget version of AC Milan's defence in the early 90s. Play out from the back to constantly available midfielders (including the Wilpshire Pirlo) and don't let anything come out way.

It seems as if we're playing such a style that prevents us from even needing to make tackles, so when we DO we can fly into them. I love it 😄 I love this team.

Given that JDT played for the early 2000s Milan I'd say that's what he's going for.

• Like 1

This is a great win, no doubt. It should further breed confidence, and keep momentum going up to THAT game before the WC shutdown. 

Hull were in decent form, with 2 wins on the bounce going into this game & no shortage of goals scored. So to keep a clean sheet & concede no shots on target is quite a performance. There's no reason to think that's because they were rubbish, the stats suggest it's more likely that we defended very solidly.

V happy for Szmodics, he's had a few doubters since he arrived but he's starting to show his true worth to the team. Is that 2 winners he's scored now, plus an assist for another?

It sounds as though Dolan & Gally were below par, but can't expect every player to be faultless every week. At the end of the day, despite having 2 key performers this season out (Hedges & Brittain), we still comfortably beat a confident side in their own backyard.

JDT clearly has the support of the players, and in turn the rewards for them are tangible. He's been quite clear in stating that he is bothered about the team not individuals, and proven that if players are playing well & can help the team then they will play.

I also think JDT is using the squad well, being mindful if some players' inexperience & the physical demands of 2 games every 7 days. He also seems to have the knack of being flexible in his tactical approach, both in prepping for each game & in making one-game changes.

I'm really buzzing; Coventry (or Brum, Burton or Northampton!) is certainly another chance if 3 points if we put in a professional performance.

• Like 2

Hats off to Trav at right back, saved a certain equaliser first half when covering for Wharton. 

At left back we had the ever dependable Harry Pickering, proper player. 

Kaminski, Wharton and Hyam solid as a rock in the middle. Hyam is turning out to be a brilliant signing, and so important that Ayala can chill for a bit. 

Definitely a day for defensive plaudits, which started with Szmodics, Brereton and Gallagher. 

Vale did a good job when he came on down the right. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The most pleasing things today for me:

That defence 🤌 Hyam is the best defender in this league, Ayala not far behind, and Scotty Wharton did his best Craig Short impression. I feel as if this defense and Kaminski give each other a huge amount of confidence, something miasing since the days of Friedel, Nelsen and Samba.

Vale really looked like the player we saw vs Celtic and Blackpool, much better than recently.

Zidane wears Adam Wharton pyjamas.

Szmodics was brilliant, but just needed that finishing touch in a few areas, but I can see what JDT saw in him now. Hopefully he and Dack can complement each other behind Gallagher if ever we need to go full 'Christmas Tree'.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I may well have been letting my mind run away down a rabbit hole on Dack. If there were any issues from JDT, they weren't on show today and while he wasn't able to influence the game, Dack certainly did put himself about all over the pitch in his short time on it.

A superb, professional win, that really should've seen us defending  4-0 lead from half-time rather than 1-0, but this team refuses to concede goals now.

It reminds me of a budget version of AC Milan's defence in the early 00s. Play out from the back to constantly available midfielders (including the Wilpshire Pirlo) and don't let anything come out way.

It seems as if we're playing such a style that prevents us from even needing to make tackles, so when we DO we can fly into them. I love it 😄 I love this team.

I can see the Italian influence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On Szmodics, guessing you didn't watch today but thought that he was our best attacker and plenty of praise in my post match post. He does miss chances and missed 2 good ones before his goal which was a quality finish. I also think technically there are big question marks, as shown by a poor touch in the second half when he had the ball in the box although he did nearly fashion a chance out after that. He was a pain in the arse of the Hull defenders.

I am undecided on him, definitely has his uses but merely running around is not enough. 3 goals is a reasonable return though, he is inconsistent and sometimes anonymous so I am still to be convinced that he was worth the fee. He deserves to start at Coventry, would he be ahead of Dack in general? No.

No, I listened to BBC Radio Lancs for away games that aren't on Sky. I will watch the game tomorrow morning as I tend to watch every game the day after unless it's on Sky. 

Szmodics was our best attacking player and his finish which I seen on twitter shows a good run and finish. I am pleased he is playing well and producing for the team. He is ahead of Dack for me and gives the team what we want with and without the ball. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No, I listened to BBC Radio Lancs for away games that aren't on Sky. I will watch the game tomorrow morning as I tend to watch every game the day after unless it's on Sky. 

Szmodics was our best attacking player and his finish which I seen on twitter shows a good run and finish. I am pleased he is playing well and producing for the team. He is ahead of Dack for me and gives the team what we want with and without the ball. 

How do you know?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

On Szmodics, guessing you didn't watch today but thought that he was our best attacker and plenty of praise in my post match post. He does miss chances and missed 2 good ones before his goal which was a quality finish. I also think technically there are big question marks, as shown by a poor touch in the second half when he had the ball in the box although he did nearly fashion a chance out after that. He was a pain in the arse of the Hull defenders.

I am undecided on him, definitely has his uses but merely running around is not enough. 3 goals is a reasonable return though, he is inconsistent and sometimes anonymous so I am still to be convinced that he was worth the fee. He deserves to start at Coventry, would he be ahead of Dack in general? No.

Definitely a valid discussion point. Not as technically gifted as Dack, but then again, who is in this league?

Gives 110% effort every game, Makes intelligent runs, finds space, has a goal in him.

I personally really like him, offers something no other player in the squad does, that’s not saying he’s a better player to Dack, they’re different. We can appreciate both.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

This is a great win, no doubt. It should further breed confidence, and keep momentum going up to THAT game before the WC shutdown. 

Hull were in decent form, with 2 wins on the bounce going into this game & no shortage of goals scored. So to keep a clean sheet & concede no shots on target is quite a performance. There's no reason to think that's because they were rubbish, the stats suggest it's more likely that we defended very solidly.

V happy for Szmodics, he's had a few doubters since he arrived but he's starting to show his true worth to the team. Is that 2 winners he's scored now, plus an assist for another?

It sounds as though Dolan & Gally were below par, but can't expect every player to be faultless every week. At the end of the day, despite having 2 key performers this season out (Hedges & Brittain), we still comfortably beat a confident side in their own backyard.

JDT clearly has the support of the players, and in turn the rewards for them are tangible. He's been quite clear in stating that he is bothered about the team not individuals, and proven that if players are playing well & can help the team then they will play.

I also think JDT is using the squad well, being mindful if some players' inexperience & the physical demands of 2 games every 7 days. He also seems to have the knack of being flexible in his tactical approach, both in prepping for each game & in making one-game changes.

I'm really buzzing; Coventry (or Brum, Burton or Northampton!) is certainly another chance if 3 points if we put in a professional performance.

Tad harsh on Gally for me. Yes he had a good chance saved but held it up well, ran himself into the ground and linked play well at times. Love watching him at the moment and I believe he’s a massive ‘confidence’ player. Definitely playing with confidence at the moment. 

• Like 1