BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't drink alcohol anymore thanks. More important things in life than alcohol and I don't miss it one bit

Look at the last game and Morton had a decent game and was key part in our attacking play. 

Elliott was a lot better than Morton, he's been struggling in the Liverpool first team though lately and fans are getting on his back. There's no chance Morton will be in their first team next season.

I do think he's a decent player, just a bit soft sometimes, partly down to his age and slight frame though. When the teams playing well he embraces it and performs. When we're struggling he tends to go missing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

5 or 6 free kicks in half a season is a ridiculous ask

I think we've had players capable of that over the years within a reasonable budget. Charlie Mulgrew easily mustered that with his goals from free kicks and corners. I'm talking 5/6 goals created too, whether they are scored directly by that player or not.

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Elliott was a lot better than Morton, he's been struggling in the Liverpool first team though lately and fans are getting on his back. There's no chance Morton will be in their first team next season.

They play different positions. Morton would be playing as the deep lay playmaker. Elliott is attacking midfielder or wide of the front 3. We have to disagree on this

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I do think he's a decent player, just a bit soft sometimes, partly down to his age and slight frame though. When the teams playing well he embraces it and performs. When we're struggling he tends to go missing.

22 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It’s like the old story - players come in two types - the ones that play from the start and get you on top in a game and the ones that play when the first group have got you on top. I’ll leave you to decide which group Morton belongs in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Our best midfield duo after watching all options has to be Buckley & A Wharton….Morton on his day is a good championship player & thats on his day. He’s had a lot of poor games so that needs sorting… Not a chance he will make it in the prem, not in the next 3-4 years anyway…
If we can get an experienced CDM, we have a solid midfield….Travis is not the answer. 

Buckley? 😂 what is this obsession. People mentioning Morton and League 1 in the same sentence but think Buckley is up to it? Laughable. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They play different positions. Morton would be playing as the deep lay playmaker. Elliott is attacking midfielder or wide of the front 3. We have to disagree on this

Morton in the Liverpool team as a deep lying playmaker next season. 🤦‍♂️

Yep, like I said the other day you really don’t understand the game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Buckley? 😂 what is this obsession. People mentioning Morton and League 1 in the same sentence but think Buckley is up to it? Laughable. 

Buckley has done more than Travis & Morton in 2 games the than they have all season…well the majority of the season. Trav & morton started well then have been non existent ever since really.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Buckley has done more than Travis & Morton in 2 games the than they have all season…well the majority of the season. Trav & morton started well then have been non existent ever since really.

Are the 2 games the ones in which he conceded a stupid penalty when we had just taken the lead followed by a game in which his petulance cost us the game?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Are the 2 games the ones in which he conceded a stupid penalty when we had just taken the lead followed by a game in which his petulance cost us the game?

Sorry the word should have been *shown more. His Press, change of pace, vision and passing is above both Travis & Morton…no arguments…As a result him & A Wharton are our best CMs.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Buckley has done more than Travis & Morton in 2 games the than they have all season.

You’ve got to be a parody, surely? 

Not one to only use stats but per 90 minutes this season, Buckley creates 0.62 goal scoring opportunities. Morton creates 1.72 per 90. Nearly 3x as many as Buckley.

Buckley is a nothing player. Isn’t strong enough and can’t tackle well enough to play as a defensive midfielder. Can’t pass well enough or retain possession well enough to be a deep creative player. Can’t run with the ball and beat players to be a ‘number 8’

People need to take off the blue tinted spectacles. If we’d signed him from a lower half Championship side last summer people wouldn’t think he was good enough. Just because he came through the academy he gets extra chances. He’s nowhere close to a top 6 championship player. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Sorry the word should have been *shown more. His Press, change of pace, vision and passing is above both Travis & Morton…no arguments. 

Buckley has had a slow start to the season but is without doubt the best midfielder at the club. Buy an experienced CDM who is an 8/10 minimum every week (Think, a CDM version of Hyam) and Buckley would flourish. He needs something me like that in his ear. 

I actually like Morton and I think he’ll end up a top player in Liverpools first team squad, but not next season. Don’t forget, he’s only just turned 20 and this is his first loan, he’s nowhere near the finished articles but is a mainstay of a team ranked 3rd in the Championship. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s shipped off to Europe to enhance his development next season.

I really hope Travis isn’t finished. He looks a yard off the pace In every game and technically seems to have regressed. He will be better suited to our change towards playing a little more direct, looks all at sea taking the ball on the half turn from a cb.

A Wharton and Garrett aren’t ready to play week in, week out yet. Get Travis back to his best and we don’t need any more….

29 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Not one to only use stats but per 90 minutes this season, Buckley creates 0.62 goal scoring opportunities. Morton creates 1.72 per 90. Nearly 3x as many as Buckley.

Buckley is a nothing player. Isn’t strong enough and can’t tackle well enough to play as a defensive midfielder. Can’t pass well enough or retain possession well enough to be a deep creative player. Can’t run with the ball and beat players to be a ‘number 8’

People need to take off the blue tinted spectacles. If we’d signed him from a lower half Championship side last summer people wouldn’t think he was good enough. Just because he came through the academy he gets extra chances. He’s nowhere close to a top 6 championship player. 

Buckley can’t pass???? Haha

No where have I seen anyone say Buckley is a world beater, or top 6 championship player so not sure what you’re going on about. Believe me if i could pick anyone else for CM out of any championship team Buckley wouldn’t be there so hopefully that’s enough to clam things

We can only work with the players we have unfortunately…However in my opinion Buckley & A Wharton are currently our best CMs…

Mortons strength is probably a long ball…that’s really all it, maybe a nice touch….He’s been like a lost little boy for the last half dozen games & has been out of position so many times, holds on to the ball for far too long, he clearly isn’t strong enough….he’s costs us a lot more points that people think…

I don’t see Travis in the team at the moment.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Buckley has it all to prove he is even a central midfielder. He takes too many touches and struggles to take the ball on the turn without losing it. His strength in passing comes with through balls which he is very good at, although far less common when he is further back. He likes to press high and is good at winning the ball back, when higher up thats a strength, when further back it can leave gaps. Throw in his petulant and rash side as seen twice in the last week and question marks occur.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

We can only work with the players we have unfortunately…However in my opinion Buckley & A Wharton are currently our best CMs…

Possibly, but so young and so inconsistent from AW point of view.  JDT doesn't seem to fancy either 🤷‍♂️ Bucko been in the background whilst our early season good form, Travis loses a bit of form and JB got a go...Hardly the basis for a promotion push after JBs last couple of contributions. 

I genuinely think JDT looks at his current midfielders and can't seperate them on averageness.....

I think we need 2 experienced in and JG and JB out on loan or sold

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

We need players to improve our starting 11 not just to pad out the squad, so based on that I’d look to fill the gaps below (if we don’t sell Diaz)

Kaminski 

Brittain - Hyam - Ayala - Pickering

??? - ???

Hedges - Dack - Diaz

???

Then I’d also look at a full back given their injuries and lack of depth.

Prio 1: CM dominator. 
Prio 2: Goalscorer. 
Prio 3 CM box to box.

Then let Wharton, Carter, JRC, Buckley, Morton, Wharton, Dolan, Szmodics, Gallagher be your squad players who can rotate in for injuries, rest, cup matches

• Like 2

Sorry to say but Morton is a far better football player than Buckley. He’s 20 walked straight into the squad and is running our midfield, he’s a real decent player n with time will mature into a very decent player. 
I like Buckley but he gives the ball away far to often he’s not the same player as Mortan not as technical gifted or as composed on the ball. Last season when he was a regular he would rush attacks looking to play the ball too quickly because we wasn’t comfortable building the play and when we were in form and it worked it looked very efficient but in the grand scheme of things It wasn’t good enough to get us in the playoffs. 
I do agree Morton could defend better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rover23 said:

Those stats are probably skewed quite heavily by the fact Morton takes a lot of set pieces.

I don’t think there is much between Buckley and Morton at the moment, but I’d be picking the one who is actually ours and whose long term development may actually be useful to us. Obviously we can’t when he’s picking up 3 match bans for acts of petulance though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You're talking about the same Boro game where they waltzed past Morton for both goals?

Without doubt, midfield is our biggest area for concern  - this is where matches are won or lost and we need at least one more addition.

Even before the season started, I said we needed an experienced, ugly, hard, bastard who could also play a bit in there to control.

Worries me hugely JDT gave big extended contracts to both Buckley and Travis.

IMO:

Buckley has 1 decent game in 10 and generally is a liability.  We need shut.

Travis has regressed unbelievably.  Sometimes it happens with players and they don't get it back.  Think it happened when he heard Mowbray's bullsh1t inferring Travis was a hard man who'd even kick his granny - sadly, he believed the hype and is now just a petulant non entity who offers next to nothing.  We need shut.

Adam Wharton - can't recall when we last had a midfielder with so much potential and I think he could develop into international class.  Sadly, JDT seems to be mismanaging the lad and if we aren't careful he'll get so p1ssed off he will be off.

Garrett showed against Cardiff he has what it takes.  He and Wharton good enough to hack it in the PL in time to come.

Morton isn't ours.  Some purr about him but he's some 2 years older than Wharton and Garrett and in two years time our lads will be flying far higher than Morton.  Morton is not one you want in the trenches with you but is okay when the opposing army is in retreat!  Also  lacks stardust and will not make it at Liverpool.

So who comes in.

I'm with @Sparks Roverin that we mised the boat allowing PNE to snaffle Ben Whiteman - just what we needed with a real presence

Todd Cantwell - feck me, why?  Just an overrated prima donna in my book.

Let's see just who are much hyped recruitment department under Broughton come up with.  Though after Hirst, Mola, Szmodics snd new lengthy contracts for Buckley and Travis, I ain't holding my breath.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

Sorry to say but Morton is a far better football player than Buckley. He’s 20 walked straight into the squad and is running our midfield, he’s a real decent player n with time will mature into a very decent player. 
I like Buckley but he gives the ball away far to often he’s not the same player as Mortan not as technical gifted or as composed on the ball. Last season when he was a regular he would rush attacks looking to play the ball too quickly because we wasn’t comfortable building the play and when we were in form and it worked it looked very efficient but in the grand scheme of things It wasn’t good enough to get us in the playoffs. 
I do agree Morton could defend better. 

He's walked straight into our squad because the CM consists of Travis, an 18 year old, a 19 year old (both players I'd rather play than Morton tbh) and a 23 year old that JDT is currently trying to nurture into something better.

Based on his form this season I'd strongly suggest that he's got a clause in his loan agreement that he has to play when fit because he's lackadaisical on the ball at times and is poor defensively - to the point where he's cost us goals, yet is never punished with a spell out of the team. 

Don't get me wrong, I've loved him as a loan signing - he's really added some quality to a very young, inexperienced midfield, but he's no world beater. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Possibly, but so young and so inconsistent from AW point of view.  JDT doesn't seem to fancy either 🤷‍♂️ Bucko been in the background whilst our early season good form, Travis loses a bit of form and JB got a go...Hardly the basis for a promotion push after JBs last couple of contributions. 

I genuinely think JDT looks at his current midfielders and can't seperate them on averageness.....

I think we need 2 experienced in and JG and JB out on loan or sold

Garrett and Wharton (in very limited playing time) have done something none of Buckley, Travis or Morton have - taken control of the midfield. Garrett against Sunderland and Wharton against Blackpool.

The future for both is very bright, but they both need nurturing. I'm surprised Wharton hasn't got more game time since the Blackpool game, but who knows what has gone on behind the scenes. 

Travis is the one I'd be looking to sell if we need to shift bodies - he doesn't have the technical ability to play in this system, but he clearly can play at this level as a box-to-box midfielder (or a defensive midfielder) so he would have value to other teams in the division. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2