BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Unforgivable when you look back at it especially that the 'powers that be' sat back and allowed it to happen. Mowbray should have been axed after that Derby game, firstly due to his insane team selection nearly seeing us lose to the bottom club at home, secondly due to a half time player revolt and thirdly due to his appalling behaviour in the dugout in the second half. The writing was on the wall then if not before and they should have cut his time short and got Warnock in for the last 10 games. Might never have a better opportunity.

If we had a hands on chairman or DoF or even half interested owners his arse wouldn't have touched the chair in the office after that. He'd have been booted straight down the corridor, mind you the time for that was the 0-7 v Fulham although that did in all intents and purposes give everyone the jolt needed to shape up for a few months.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Unforgivable when you look back at it especially that the 'powers that be' sat back and allowed it to happen. Mowbray should have been axed after that Derby game, firstly due to his insane team selection nearly seeing us lose to the bottom club at home, secondly due to a half time player revolt and thirdly due to his appalling behaviour in the dugout in the second half. The writing was on the wall then if not before and they should have cut his time short and got Warnock in for the last 10 games. Might never have a better opportunity.

The nadir for me was Peterborough away. I was at the game and we were absolutely hopeless against a team who were bottom (I think). 

There was some real anger in the crowd that day, the only positive being it did seem like TM was done for.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Oh god I forgot about that performance, that was the Bradley Johnson 'false 9' saga wasn't it. He himself even vocal afterwards saying he hadn't a clue what was going on (and you'd expect him to be one of the managers good books)

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If we had a hands on chairman or DoF or even half interested owners his arse wouldn't have touched the chair in the office after that. He'd have been booted straight down the corridor, mind you the time for that was the 0-7 v Fulham although that did in all intents and purposes give everyone the jolt needed to shape up for a few months.

Oh the good ol days of John Williams 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Honestly I think back to before JDT and Broughton arrived, no manager, no clear hierarchy behind the scenes and half the squad seemingly gone (with BIG question marks over whether we would lose more of them, and the fitness of some of them) and I was genuinely afraid that we'd start the season unable to put out an 11 that wasn't completely padded with panic freebees and youngsters who weren't ready yet. I had no faith in any ability at the club to sort it out and genuinely expected, not feared, expected relegation.

The fact that we ended up with something approaching a balanced first team with mostly adequate cover in all positions and with half the season gone could relatively realistically end up in the playoffs is something I would have bitten your hand off for. Only two teams in the last 8 or 9 seasons got relegated with more than the 42 points we're on right now (by far and away the highest of course being us, when we somehow managed it on 51).

Now in hindsight Hirst and Mola didn't pan out, but we aren't going to lose much on them. I kind of think that by managing Dack back into fitness Szmodics has been made to look like an unnecessary signing. If Dack's knees had completely gone and he'd been sent to the glue factory Szmodics would have played more of a role, and might have looked a bit more effective.

It was no way near as bad a window as some people are making out. Jury's still out though - don't mistake me for a 'happy clapper', we need to improve a fair bit. We don't deserve to be as high as third, but seeing as we are this is an opportunity to build on what we've got and improve into the second half of the season. If they can do that rather than the inevitable Mowbray death spiral I'll call it a pretty successful first season. 

The most obvious misconception is how you saw the state of the team going into the season. Prior to the first game, only Brittain signed in time to play. Within our first 11 going into that game, Kaminski, Ayala, Wharton, Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Hedges, Brereton and Gallagher all started, as did Vale but only because Tomasson specifically picked him over Dolan, Dack and Markanday.

You look at the signings, 2 have been woeful and at least one has/will be sent back as soon as was possible, 2 have been really injury prone (Brittain a good player when fit, Szmodics a squad filler) and that leaves only 2 regulars, one of whom has been no better than ok.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

3rd currently, powers that be, has another opportunity 

Get the popcorn ready

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I think he probably is, but more because of Rothwell's failings. The archetypal show pony, having a great game about 1 in every 10 but still having little end product. He managed 11 goals for Rovers in 4 full seasons, when he played 30+ games in each. Szmodics has 3 in 16 games, many of which he didn't play all game.

I See Rothwell didn't even get beyond half time in Bournemouth's side against the dingles on Saturday.

Luxury player.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Morton has signed a new, long term contract at Liverpool. Guessing he won't be off to Dortmund now.

He deserves it 

Klopp and Liverpool obviously see something in the lad. This season will be massive for his development. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him loaned to either a lower league Prem club or top foreign league next season either 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell plays deeper than Szmodics so unfair to compare based on goals.

He didn't for his first 3 seasons, he was used right across the front line.

3 hours ago, Mr. E said:

I perfectly understand our financial restraints and limitations.

However, unless we are in complete financial meltdown, I do not understand why window after window we have several players leaving in the very first week or two...while we don't begin to hear of even half-serious incomings news until like days before the window closes. I don't understand how this is being allowed to happen. 

Presumably negotiating brinkmanship ? 🤔

7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

He didn't for his first 3 seasons, he was used right across the front line.

True, I just assumed that it was compared to the Rothwell of last season that just left.

Either way, Rothwell certainly wasn't consistent but he was one of the better players of his type in the league last season, the same can't be said about Szmodics who is on his third attempt at proving his ability at Championship level.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

True, I just assumed that it was compared to the Rothwell of last season that just left.

Either way, Rothwell certainly wasn't consistent but he was one of the better players of his type in the league last season, the same can't be said about Szmodics who is on his third attempt at proving his ability at Championship level.

We will just have to disagree on that. I thought that he was mostly bloody awful. He had virtually no defensive capability and went missing for large parts of games. He was always good for the occasional run at defenders gliding past a few before giving the ball away.

He wouldn't get near a JDT team. He's not near the Bournemouth team either - 140 minutes in total in 3 games, two of them in the cups. But he does have a presumably well paid 4 year contract.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, only2garners said:

We will just have to disagree on that. I thought that he was mostly bloody awful. He had virtually no defensive capability and went missing for large parts of games. He was always good for the occasional run at defenders gliding past a few before giving the ball away.

He wouldn't get near a JDT team. He's not near the Bournemouth team either - 140 minutes in total in 3 games, two of them in the cups. But he does have a presumably well paid 4 year contract.

He was very good until January last season and a key part of our success. He definitely would get into our central midfield now which IMO is by far our weakest area.

He has been injured for the majority of this season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was very good until January last season and a key part of our success. He definitely would get into our central midfield now which IMO is by far our weakest area.

Rothwell played in a 3 last season when he was playing well iirc. Totally different game playing in a 2 with the way we now play. Rothwell would have a lot more defensive responsibilities and wouldn't be able to run with the ball much (not the JDT way). He'd be more suited to the Dack/smods role now.

So apples and oranges really. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Rothwell played in a 3 last season when he was playing well iirc. Totally different game playing in a 2 with the way we now play. Rothwell would have a lot more defensive responsibilities and wouldn't be able to run with the ball much (not the JDT way). He'd be more suited to the Dack/smods role now.

So apples and oranges really. 

Wasn't his best form when we played a back 3 with wing backs and had Rothwell and Travis as a 2 with Brereton and Khadra either side of Buckley as a false 9? I thought that he developed a lot more maturity and discipline from that position last season.

Rothwell flattered to deceive, that's for sure

When under the cosh I bet he's a nightmare to play with. He didn't get back often enough. And his head dropped from January onwards which raises serious questions over his teamwork

Then there's the rumours of the problems that he caused in the dressing room, with players increasingly frustrated with his attitude. Even if you are ultra sceptical over dressing room talk his performances on the pitch post-January showed his lack of endeavour for Rovers' success

But this season there's also been times when we've missed his direct running. Problem is in his years here it came too few and far between. I can see the pros and cons of a Rothwell, who I consider a bit of a luxury player, but nevertheless his attitude has tipped me into the camp of him being one to avoid

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

I think there is definitely a distinction between Rothwell for the first 3 years who was at best a luxury player, to the one that for half a season was really good in a much more disciplined role, even thriving in a 2. In the second half of the season when our idiotic owners decided to force him to stay even ahead of the managers wishes, his performances went downhill as fast as his value and raised questions about him as a person.

He definitely would get into our midfield though at the moment and is much better than Szmodics.