BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

22 hours ago, Gamst said:

Brexit has made it very difficult to replicate the Brentford model. We are competing for a smaller pool of players with teams who have superior resources. This transfer window has really shown that we can’t compete. 

I think this has changed things for the worse for us.  I bet JDT has knowledge of young good uns who just will be nowhere near the points needed.  Bad deal for us I think.

• Like 1

It is quite a risk knowing that your top scoring striker is leaving on a free and will still be motivated to give his all and risk injury in the dying months of his contract. 

we are going to need a target man before close of play if we are going to give our new signing something to aim for. 

Otherwise Gallagher it is. 

Edited by bigbrandjohn
Spelling

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Why would he be starting from the bench most weeks? If he gets into even a semblance of form, he's better than anyone we have up top bar Brereton (who is distinctly out of form).

Probably because we don't play with a central striker might have something to do with it.

Also he's always been more of a squad man one of those you bring on and he can cause problems. Maybe inconsistency of just out of fashion is why he's never been a number one striker but used correctly he's more effective than the likes of Gallagher or some raw kid who's only banged a few in at u23 level.

Like i said we won't be paying those wages for that kind of guy, we really should but we won't.

Ideal type in many ways as Dack could play off him Danny Graham style again - i know he isn't as good as DG - a proper target man though.

If Mowbray had brought him in last season or someone similar as well as Giles and given him something to aim for we'd probably have scraped the play offs.  Now though we have the lad from Hudds so i really hope JDT tries to get the best out of him instead of any brain farts of playing him out of position with instructions to pass backwards !

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Probably because we don't play with a central striker might have something to do with it.

Also he's always been more of a squad man one of those you bring on and he can cause problems. Maybe inconsistency of just out of fashion is why he's never been a number one striker but used correctly he's more effective than the likes of Gallagher or some raw kid who's only banged a few in at u23 level.

Like i said we won't be paying those wages for that kind of guy, we really should but we won't.

If we signed a winger and a central striker, I'd be inclined to think we were planning to play with a central striker. I'm sure he'd be better than Gallagher even if you stuck him out wide though.

Never been the number one striker and been a squad man? Not followed his career too closely, so maybe you're right, but he scored 19 in 39 in the league 2020/21. He does seem to have played less in the last two seasons, but given he still had a good goals rate, is that not injury or something? Seems odd to drop a player who keeps scoring goals (his ratio has dropped off this season though, to his lowest since he was with us, still 4 in 14 though which isn't horrendous), usually at a 1 in 3 rate or better.

If we did sign Joao (which I should remind anyone reading, is just theoretical as he's available, there hasn't been a rumour) I'd expect him to be an instant starter until he showed he should be otherwise. 15k p/w is the sort of figure I expect the club to sanction for somebody expected to start most weeks. If he was being signed as a squad player, then I'd disagree with you and agree with the club if they didn't want to pay 15k p/w for that. We simply don't have the budget to squander that on a squad player, that sort of wage needs to be reserved for our best players.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

If we signed a winger and a central striker, I'd be inclined to think we were planning to play with a central striker. I'm sure he'd be better than Gallagher even if you stuck him out wide though.

Never been the number one striker and been a squad man? Not followed his career too closely, so maybe you're right, but he scored 19 in 39 in the league 2020/21. He does seem to have played less in the last two seasons, but given he still had a good goals rate, is that not injury or something? Seems odd to drop a player who keeps scoring goals (his ratio has dropped off this season though, to his lowest since he was with us, still 4 in 14 though which isn't horrendous), usually at a 1 in 3 rate or better.

If we did sign Joao (which I should remind anyone reading, is just theoretical as he's available, there hasn't been a rumour) I'd expect him to be an instant starter until he showed he should be otherwise. 15k p/w is the sort of figure I expect the club to sanction for somebody expected to start most weeks. If he was being signed as a squad player, then I'd disagree with you and agree with the club if they didn't want to pay 15k p/w for that. We simply don't have the budget to squander that on a squad player, that sort of wage needs to be reserved for our best players.

My point started off as him being a replacement for Gallagher who often starts on the bench and will on that money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Wasn’t joao one of the players who had to sit outside the changing room for rocking up late for an important game against Wigan and was seen laughing and joking and taking mick 

Yeah i don't think it ended well for him here, also wasn't his agent that useless chancer Paul Seniors Mrs ?

• Like 1

Hibs Striker Kevin Nisbet would be good signing for us now his move to Millwall has fallen through. Not sure we can afford it financially listening to JDT's Radio Lancs interview but he wants a number 9 striker in so it will be interesting last few days of the window to see who we sign. 

@JoeHyou make some excellent points early today regarding our recruitment department works and about data used here. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hibs Striker Kevin Nisbet would be good signing for us now his move to Millwall has fallen through. Not sure we can afford it financially listening to JDT's Radio Lancs interview but he wants a number 9 striker in so it will be interesting last few days of the window to see who we sign. 

@JoeHyou make some excellent points early today regarding our recruitment department works and about data used here. 

id`e be amazed but delighted if he ended up here

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

I think this has changed things for the worse for us.  I bet JDT has knowledge of young good uns who just will be nowhere near the points needed.  Bad deal for us I think.

He'll have known that when he joined though plus the likes of Kompany have got in EU players haven't they ?

Again it comes down to money being able to open doors.

Anyway the fashionable thing to blame these days is climate change it's the new brexit !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I’d take Joao at the 13th hour on deadline day. 

Right now he’s better than Hirst and Vale , but if our budget is small it has to used wisely for me it should be spent on players to improve our first 11 and for that reason if he’s not better than Gally I would pass

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have no idea on what our budget will be next season 

To the contrary, given the pattern of recent seasons, it’s highly unlikely to stretch to a player tied to a long term contract at a divisional rival.

Our best chance of signing Thomas would be if he struggles for the rest of the season and Huddersfield go down, (or the seemingly impossible happens and we go up).

• Like 1