BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

15 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

Who exactly has he tied down? Phillips can be the only one that may have been tough. All the others were formalities. Half of them will be squad players at Best.

Broughton has done nothing but talk a good game since he come. He’s not utilised our foreign scouting network and not one signing has had any imagination about it.

Adam Wharton, and Batty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

At that stage they indicated they didn’t have space in the 25-man squad for him. At that stage there, of course we have to offer the support mechanisms in place.

but every penny of that, for a club of Rochdale’s status right now, is absolutely vital. We have to find a way of ensuring that income can go to them and ensuring that Ethan can become a Blackburn Rovers player.

Support mechanisms is supporting O'Brien by appealing, surely?

The part about Brierly makes sense. 

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

No it isn't. Heads must role. This is exactly the kind of attitude that has gotten us nowhere the last 10 years. 'Aaahh let's sweep it under the carpet and move on'. There has to be accountability otherwise we're going round in circles 

He is being held accountable, and GB did say they followed the same procedures as they have been doing for the last ten years. Meaning nothing has changed but has to change now - and he'll make sure of that.

We've been painfully slow to do transfers for a long time. Is that because of our inept administration or because of Venky's demands?

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mbape?

How about Blackburn Rovers 2023? Are we one striker away from promotion with our means? 

I wouldn't criticise Broughton on here, you'd never get a transfer deal done - the EFL wouldn't stand for such tardiness.  

We were in the Top 6 for more than half the season with a combination of Gallagher / Vale / Dolan / Szmodics (at times) leading the line. It's not a stretch to say that a good Championship CF (which none of those listed above are) would have a very positive impact on our results. 

Before you ask, no I don't know who that player is because it's not my job to find him - but someone like Cameron Archer or Keinan Davis would have made a world of difference. 

• Like 1

With it being a late transfer did Rovers use the "deal sheet" approach or try and rush everything through before 11pm.

The deal sheet would have provided a further 2 hours in which to submit all other requirements 

The deal sheet is a simple form which even the likes of Sylvester could fill in.

• Like 3

On 02/02/2023 at 14:49, roversfan99 said:

I judge a director of football in regards to recruitment by who has signed, not sob stories. Few questions:

Why did we even want a central midfielder when Broughton kept going on about blocking pathways? What changed?

Why are we focusing on loans when the project is long term and people keep dismissing promotion chances?

I guess when a player of Lewis O'Brien quality becomes available that changes that stance. Plus his quality would help us secure a playoff place and promotion chances. 

The project is to become a sustainable PL club firstly so if we got promotion this season and then came back down before getting promotion again and staying there then that would be the aim would be met. 

I hope Thomas signs here permanent if the summer. Think he would be good permanent addition if we can agree a deal in the summer. 

Does any of the blame regarding an inability to sign a striker (not specifically Kone or Undav, just in general, as you said we should have a big shortlist) fall on Broughton?

Yes it does and he has taken full responsibility for that failure. We still sign a striker on a short term contract like Lewis Grabban or Chris Martin. not great but would be help for the final 18 games 

How do you rank the window out of 10?

3. If we had signed a striker and O'Brien probably a 10

Has your faith in the project under Broughton even slightly changed?

no, I still have faith in the project under Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson

Why did the owners not sack Silvester when DJ Campbell didn't sign that time due to a fax issue?

Good question

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

An interesting day to put it mildly.

Can't recall when I've spoken to so many people wanting to discuss Rovers - sadly for all the wrong reasons.  Finding even the remaining diehard Blues, who think Rovers can do no wrong, are struggling with this debacle.  Even @chaddyrovershas been struck dumb!

I understand Rovers have been swamped by emails of complaint and I personally know of half a dozen who have written in.

Though Broughton showed some balls, it was, IMO, a classic line in smooth bullsh1t - seen it too often and don't buy it.

I think Nicko is absolutely on the ball with this.  His revelations are incredulous and startling.  I think it shows us as being so amateurish - for feck's sake if you can't complete forms properly you shouldn't be in any type of employment let alone involved in £multi million business transactions.

Live on Sky TV, those going on Monday night have a terrific opportunity to vent their anger and make the wider football world realise just what, IMO, is an absolute sh1t show of a club.

Why don’t you make an effort and get down there to play your part 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

Again, there is no conspiracy. Everyone was where you'd expect them to be in any functioning football workplace environment.

In the closing hours of a transfer window where we had only managed to get a winger on loan thus far I'd have expected those responsible for transfers to be at the coal-face.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hi Mack said:

I’ve also been told today by an ex employee that this isn’t the first time this has happened. In fact this has happened twice before……😐

What has happened twice before, if we have failed to get players registered on deadline day before then it hasn’t been made public

So if I recall, there were 3 teams after O'Brien. 2 dropped out leaving us. I bet he wouldn't have chosen us in a 2 horse race.

Then I suppose O'Brien was the last choice for us. He came available only on the Tuesday. Cantwell had already fucked us off. Goodness knows who else.

Thing is, if O'Brien hadn't become suddenly available, who were we bringing in instead ? Clearly nobody.

Venkys Out.

Just now, Nuttall is lost said:

Why the fuck was the DoF at Birmingham when we were trying to get deals done??? 

He should have been in Blackburn overeseeing the whole proceedings.  Isn't that his job!

He wasn't at the Birmingham game he was with the 2 players where they were having their medicals in Manchester 

1 minute ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Why the fuck was the DoF at Birmingham when we were trying to get deals done??? 

He should have been in Blackburn overeseeing the whole proceedings.  Isn't that his job!

I don't know where you've heard that.

He was actually in Pune having a sit down meeting with the owners.

The bottom line is that we thought the minimum we needed in this transfer window was a striker and a mid-field enforcer.

Since we didn't get either, and didn't even come close to getting a striker as far as I can see, this window represents total failure.

In terms of manpower and morale among the squad and the supporters, it scuppers any chance we had of finishing in the Top 6.

Its a really big blow which can't be explained away.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

2 players who came through the academy and fully expected to stay though! Hardly ground breaking.

The question was, who has Broughton tied down to contracts. I gave an answer. And by-the-way, along with Phillips, none were certain to sign.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Another question about the O'Brien deal and the report of us paying his full wage of a reputed £45k weekly. What about this wage structure that the acolytes were banging on about which had allegedly been told to them by Swag. We were told that we couldn't pay Nyambe and Lenihan what they were after because it would break the 'wage structure'. 

• Like 9

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Failed to secure Nyambe after he arrived (Didn't want to secure him aside from cheap as chips contract).

Seemingly has  failed to secure BBD as well. (Seemingly, so not evidenced. Also think it should've been sorted pre-GB, harsh to blame him).

Failed to bring in a (decent) striker in 2 windows (Fair)

Hirst main target in summer (Repetition of previous point, unfair).

Mola /Morton poor (Disagree, both performed okay until World Cup).

Szmodics massively overpriced and even worse. (Scored and assisted several, more than the player he replaced valued at £3.5m the previous window)

Brittain has turned out to be a crock. (Unfair again, imo).

Goes on about pathways for our youth then signs Morton on loan which keeps Adam Wharton out of the side (Blame JDT) and chases and fails to land a CB who would have further pushed Phillips down the pecking order (Make your mind up). When neither can get many first team minutes anyway. (Blame JDT, not GB).

Disastrous January window, scratching about at the last minute resulting ultimately in us being embroiled in a hugely embarrassing failure to get either of 2 deals over the line on deadline day. Knock on effects for the players concerned and parent Clubs. Never happened before prior to his arrival. (Fair enough, he's stood up and said this himself. Personally think an actual bit of honesty means he's worth keeping around, especially as he did his bit and the failure is down to admin - falls to Secretary and CEO).

If you don't think all that's a disaster, I'd love a job working for you!

Until 3 days ago, none of this was a 'disaster', just not ideal. If you're going to blow your top at anything prior to the Deadline Day issues, I'd hate to work for you.

• Like 7