BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

5 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Look I’m just spitballing the hypotheticals, I’ve no idea what’s gone on, how it all works or how on top of the contract situation we actually were.

But if the question was - “It says here lads that you could be in League One having committed over 50% of your gate receipts to a single midfielder, sure that’s right?” then I’m bloody glad someone was asking.

It would fuck the whole wage structure and cripple the club etc etc etc

There‘s obviously some things that needed clearing up in the obligatory contract.

Perhaps we have the necessary foresight and right kind of professionals to broker that kind of deal.

Maybe the EFL have just saved our arses.

Doubt we’ll ever know. 

If pushed I could take a guess.

edit- reminder I’ve pulled this scenario out of my arse. Just trying to make sense of it.

The EFL have a FFP regulatory structure, if breached there are potential consequences and sanctions. Many aspirational and promoted clubs appear to have drawn a coach and horses through this with little or minor consequence, QPR, Bournemouth and currently Sheffield Utd come to mind.

The EFL are definitely not there to interfere with the decisions and financial affairs of a commercial business save for auditing for compliance with their FFP regulations over the relevant reference period, which I think is 3 years.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 47er said:

Undav wouldn't come! Clubs agreed terms, player said "NO". Can't see this as a near miss.

Don't know much about the Kone attempt but,bottom line, we failed to sign him or any other striker which we desperately need. We had months to plan this.

According to Nixon Kone was always unlikely to happen.

They had had multiple offers for their other striker Mofti for decent money which they were always likely to take and they would never have been letting Kone out in that scenario, which.ended up happening.

Like you say it was known Undav wasn't coming here well in advance of deadline day, we had the money to pay O' Brien's high wages but ended it with the one signing in Sorba Thomas.

In my opinion there is no dressing it up Broughton failed miserably in the January window.Not calling for his head but the summer window has to be much improved 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I don't think I have seen it mentioned but do we know who this was ?

An agreement was also close for a striker on deadline day, while other targets came and went during the course of January.

No idea.

Wasn't it on deadline day that we were rumoured to be "assessing" 3 different strikers?

Works of fiction.

We've been 'close' to signing a striker on deadline day for the past 3 windows at least now.

Never happens because it's either just window dressing or we were never really that serious.

Only one way to do it i'm afraid and that is spend some money.

• Like 5

Maybe betraying my ignorance, but on covering O'Brien's wage, isn't it possible that if he's on £45k/week, we only agreed to pay, say, ~£20k/week, with Forest covering the rest? Maybe appearance fees, etc add complications, but I would have thought a player is still ultimately made whole on their original contract?

PL clubs insisting on loan fees, full wages, penalties for lack of gametime, etc. make sense when they've got leverage over a highly sought after loan, but there must also be cases of young loans going out for free (particularly in the lower leagues), so surely you can meet somewhere in the middle? (You can on FM anyway 🙂)

It was probably still a relatively major outlay for us, but in a case like this where Forest would have been keen to get any of LOB's wage off the books given he wasn't going to make their 25-man roster and we were the last resort, I'd be surprised we agreed to cover £45k/week (nor would I read too much into the implications for our apparent wage structure...)

edit: and Sharpe just tweeted Broughton's comments on the alleged financials:

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

*BREAKING NEWS*

Secret transcript obtained of meeting at Ewood following January transfer window:

GB: (Rushes into SW's office looking flustered) "Steve, Steve- the fans are revolting!

SW: I know, and they're not very happy either! The bloody lengths you have to go to to earn £300k p.a. these days. It's almost like they expect us to comply with the regulations or something. I might have to tempt Andy Cole out of retirement and go back to being an agent.

GB: "I've never seen them like this before. They didn't even bat an eyelid when I paid £1.8m plus add ons for Sammy Szmodics and £10kp.w. for George Hirst on loan!

SW: " Looks like they didn't buy our sob story about it being the EFL's fault for being pedantic. I knew I should never have asked the dinner lady to draft the official Club statement - she didn't strike the right note at all and couldn't even get it to read properly in plain English.

GB: "Whatever shall we do Steve?"

SW: "Hmmm......this isnt good, for once there's been such a commotion about it the owners might even notice. I'll tell you what, one of us will have to go in front of the cameras, look suitably apologetic and pretend to take the blame for it. Most of the supporters will believe it and it'll be next week's chip paper. I'll toss you for it." (Produces double headed coin)

GB:"Tails"

SW: Bad luck Greg. Off you go. Don't forget to mention the word "process" in every other sentence. If you mention it often enough it'll fool people into thinking we have an actual plan and know what we're doing. I'll also leak a few select details to Nixon. Won't make a blind bit of difference to err....the "appeal" of course (both chuckle heartily) but at least he can publish to make it look like we've been hard done by. Of course I won't tell him the full tale.

GB: "Genius Steve! BTW how does this look?." (Undo's a few buttons in an attempt to look dishevelled and puts on distraught expression.

SW: "Brilliant Greg! Oscar worthy! You should have been an actor.

GB: "Maybe I should Steve. After all we've just seen I can't conduct transfer business! (Both laugh uproariously as Greg exits)

The next day........

(GB's mobile rings)

SW: "See, I told you it would work!"

Meanwhile 5000 miles away in India

" Our baby is in good hands we should be proud of how we take interest and care of it"

Oh the irony Rev, going after the ones employed rather than the employers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Darwen are even taking the piss out of our incompetence.

😂. Will give them that one. It comes to a thing where we’re so useless we’re able to give a club, who are probably purely volunteer run and about 10 levels below us, enough ammunition to take the mick. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 3

That interview of JDT on the Rovers website is interesting. He’s obviously pissed off but he goes a bit further for me…he completely (and rightly so) ‘outs’ the other side (GB’s side) of the club. Which is risky.

But the most salient point for me is the one he makes about ‘his side’ overachieving. It feels like, for the first time, he’s peacocking which is what you do when you’re looking around for other options?

Ive said before, it’s my belief that JDT will go LONNGG before he’s pushed. He’s a born winner, incompetence like this does not exist in his world!

I would not be surprised at all if he resigned.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We've been 'close' to signing a striker on deadline day for the past 3 windows at least now.

Never happens because it's either just window dressing or we were never really that serious.

Only one way to do it i'm afraid and that is spend some money.

What does 'close' in this context mean? He had a medical, terms were agreed, was he 'in the building'? Or the cynic in me says that we spoke to a club or players representatives and an approach was made. The weren't interested. And that was it. 

It's all bullshit from the slippery tongue of Mr Responsible who, lets be honest has fallen at the first hurdle.

42 minutes ago, rigger said:

I hope Zorba scores the winner against Wigan on Monday. 

A Win & good performance on Monday would be a perfect reaction from all this. No way I believe because we’re playing Wigan it will be an easy game. There are no easy games. A win will be a statement that the players are in this, dispute the incompetence of the powers at be.

22 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That interview of JDT on the Rovers website is interesting. He’s obviously pissed off but he goes a bit further for me…he completely (and rightly so) ‘outs’ the other side (GB’s side) of the club.

But the most salient point for me is the one he makes about ‘his side’ overachieving. It feels like, for the first time, he’s peacocking which is what you do when you’re looking around for other options?

Ive said before, it’s my belief that JDT will go LONNGG before he’s pushed. He’s a born winner, incompetence like this does not exist in his world!

I would not be surprised at all if he resigned.

If he does now would be a good time. Before the inevitable slide down the table starts.

In other news - there’s a long article/interview on Duncan Ferguson in my paper today. In it -  “ He came close to getting jobs at Blackburn and Middlesbrough  “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

Forgetting the cock up with the paperwork, whether we were close to signing players. The only fact that’s relevant is we had a month to sign new players and apparently actively tried and regardless of what excuses they trot out we managed to sign 0. Zero.

Thomas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he does now would be a good time. Before the inevitable slide down the table starts.

In other news - there’s a long article/interview on Duncan Ferguson in my paper today. In it -  “ He came close to getting jobs at Blackburn and Muddlesborough “.

Which paper wouldn’t mind a read? That’s chilling. 

• Like 1