BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (a) - 21/1/23

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said, you had no constructive reason to suggest that I was being over critical of Vale having at the time not seen the game.

He may aswell have not played, and until you actively say what Vale offers to the team, at which point a normal debate can occur,

I have told you before what Vale offers as others have. You just can't or won't accept that opinion. Why do we have to have the same debate very week about Jack Vale cos you can't accept that some people rate him and can see what he offers 

then I will presume that the riddles you talk in about him are covering the fact that deep down you know that he offers nothing.

I said in the summer that Jack Vale was good enough to be part of our first squad this season based on my opinion of watching him for a number of years through Rovers under 18's and 21's. So that sort of disproves your last point doesn't it? 

Absolute rubbish. He slowly stepped out of the way, if you are crediting players for literally moving then all 11 players warrant praise in the goal.

No he moves out wide to create space but you won't give him any credit tho will you? 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

No he moves out wide to create space but you won't give him any credit tho will you? 

Are you still going on about a game you admitted you didn't watch?

Vale was awful yesterday. As awful as Gallagher was in the match previously and was deservedly dropped. The worst set of forwards since Ward and Blake.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have told you before what Vale offers as others have. You just can't or won't accept that opinion. Why do we have to have the same debate very week about Jack Vale cos you can't accept that some people rate him and can see what he offers 

I said in the summer that Jack Vale was good enough to be part of our first squad this season based on my opinion of watching him for a number of years through Rovers under 18's and 21's. So that sort of disproves your last point doesn't it? 

If you knew what he offers to the team, you would say as such, rather than speak in riddles.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I guessed it was a knock or something like that otherwise I think he might have started. He was good in his half hour at Rotherham as he was the following day in the under 21's which Tomasson saw.

I think Markanday should be given a chance in the first team, he's beginning to show what he can do. A goal or 2 would improve him.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 16:54, bluebruce said:

Interesting you say since the West Ham game...I didn't see that, but I'm guessing you mean he played well in that too? A game against a Prem side where he played well would help the distractions peak I think...

He only came on at the end if the WH game, but played well and scored a Premier League goal against international defenders. 

I agree he seems distracted, but has also lost a yard of pace, and just isn't contributing, when he used to pull games out of the fire singlehandedly. 

For me he was one of only 3 or 4 genuinely consistent performers, now we only have the injured Hyam, and,  fleetingly, Dack. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said, you had no constructive reason to suggest that I was being over critical of Vale having at the time not seen the game.

He may aswell have not played, and until you actively say what Vale offers to the team, at which point a normal debate can occur, then I will presume that the riddles you talk in about him are covering the fact that deep down you know that he offers nothing.

Good idea not to feed the troll. Never will get those qualities, as engagement and discussion isn't the aim here. Also in fairness Vale doesn't have any. 

The most constructive argument we've had on here for Vale is our other strikers are just as crap which is hardly a ringing endorsement.. ( imo may be true the last couple of performances but on a wider level isn't true as Bereton and Gally have shown something at this level before.) 

• Like 2

In isolation a point with 10 men is a good result. Look at the thinness of the squad and it confirms that opinion. 

Problem is this is our run of winnable games to cement our playoff place. So far it's 1 out of 6. In that regard it's not going well at all. 

And whilst it's so important we get the right people in, especially with limited budget, once again we see how there was a need for deals to be done quickly. A new signing or two might have made all the difference in the last couple of games. Whilst getting it right takes priority, which may take time, I have a feeling we may end up regretting our January inertia. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Whilst getting it right takes priority, which may take time, I have a feeling we may end up regretting our January inertia. 

Us fans might, not sure the club will have any regrets. They have written this season off after all….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The  European Cup winners cup and the European Super Cup were Mickey Mouse trophies ? I wish we’d won one of them ! The bloke was a winner . In football you need to put your prejudices to one side if the want to see the real picture.

If I couldn't put my prejudices to one side, I wouldn't say C. Ronaldo is the best player I've ever seen, as I think he's an absolute plank.

The European Super Cup is the European equivalent of the Community Shield, it's not really a big deal, no. Cup Winner's Cup, sure, so one worthwhile trophy at Aberdeen (that no longer exists, I assume UEFA decided it wasn't that worthwhile) and did well for a smaller club relative to its league, in winning a few mickey mouse trophies against two competing clubs. But the point stands, he didn't travel around, stayed at a stupendously well-resourced job for an awfully long time, which let him beat most clubs to most players of his choosing most of the time, intimidated and bribed referees (well the club did, nobody can convince me otherwise so don't try), had a golden generation of youngsters coming through...and it shouldn't be forgotten that he nearly got the sack in his early days. I accept he was an extremely good manager and a winner, but overhyped for me, should never have been knighted due to his foul personality, and there are others out there that we, as Rovers fans especially, would be better using as examples.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If you knew what he offers to the team, you would say as such, rather than speak in riddles.

no one is speaking in riddles but you want the same debate over Vale week in week out. It's getting boring and tedious now with you. I will leave it there with you

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 hours ago, booth said:

Are you still going on about a game you admitted you didn't watch?

Vale was awful yesterday. As awful as Gallagher was in the match previously and was deservedly dropped. The worst set of forwards since Ward and Blake.

Ward and Blake - shudder.

How many teams did they relegate between them?!

• Like 1

I still have fond memories of Blake's winner at Anfield.

My memory of Ward is of him being levelled v Charlton, I think, and the most bang on penalty I've seen not being given.

It's easy to forget but both did score goals for us. Not many but around about 1 in 4 which if I'm not mistaken is better that one of our current main strikers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I still have fond memories of Blake's winner at Anfield.

My memory of Ward is of him being levelled v Charlton, I think, and the most bang on penalty I've seen not being given.

It's easy to forget but both did score goals for us. Not many but around about 1 in 4 which if I'm not mistaken is better that one of our current main strikers.

My main memory of him is Matt Jansen breaking down the right hand side and dummying a right foot cross, coming back on his favoured left foot and picking Ward out with the most perfect chipped pass. He was right on the penalty spot, unmarked, and Ward volleyed the ball into row Z of the Darwen End.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My main memory of him is Matt Jansen breaking down the right hand side and dummying a right foot cross, coming back on his favoured left foot and picking Ward out with the most perfect chipped pass. He was right on the penalty spot, unmarked, and Ward volleyed the ball into row Z of the Darwen End.

Just the mention of Jansen gave me a feel good moment.

I always enjoyed watching him and worth the entrance fee.

• Like 1

I'd say the overall football abilities of Gallagher and Ward could be classed as very similar and certainly not in the 'good' bracket.

Both worked hard though and i'd say Ward was more physical but the chances he missed, miss controlled were ridiculous at times. Gally though has never really played in that central position as a proper centre forward so hard to judge if he'd be any better.  

Blake was a better finisher than the pair of them but sadly lacking in every other dept especially the graft.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'd say the overall football abilities of Gallagher and Ward could be classed as very similar and certainly not in the 'good' bracket.

Both worked hard though and i'd say Ward was more physical but the chances he missed, miss controlled were ridiculous at times. Gally though has never really played in that central position as a proper centre forward so hard to judge if he'd be any better.  

Blake was a better finisher than the pair of them but sadly lacking in every other dept especially the graft.

Blake was bone idle. I remember him coming on late in the game when we had just gone down to 10 men ( Utd at home ? )  Obviously Souey had told him - “ You’ve only got 10 minutes, I need you to chase everything down, don’t give their back four a minute, run your tripes out “. 

I don’t think he got above a jog all the time he was on. We were under siege and he did nothing to help the defence out. I think Souey lost it with him after that and moved him on as soon as he could.

• Like 1

Seen some debate about Vale, and the best way to summarise it is that I went to the game and forgot he was playing. He was just anonymous. He made a run that created a bit of space for the goal, but it was the most basic run and if that's being used to big him up then we're really clutching at straws.

A focal point up front is a real priority.

Dack another positive. Certainly our most animated player and clearly a leader out on the pitch. 

We lacked guile - shame Markanday couldn't play. 

Edited by smiller14
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Seen some debate about Vale, and the best way to summarise it is that I went to the game and forgot he was playing. He was just anonymous. He made a run that created a bit of space for the goal, but it was the most basic run and if that's being used to big him up then we're really clutching at straws.

A focal point up front if a real priority.

Dack another positive. Certainly our most animated player and clearly a leader out on the pitch. 

We lacked guile - shame Markanday couldn't play. 

It was a good run but I want my centre forward to be running towards the ball most of the time, not away from it. To score goals you’ve got to be in the penalty area and ideally in the 6 yard box.