BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No I get it for a cup tie away at a PL club when we are also going for the play offs…

however that lot, at home? Though I thought it summed up this last decade perfectly, in fairness.

There were plenty of excuses and downplaying of the defeat at Turf Moor in the aftermath as well. At home vs Burnley is madness - we'll likely go in as underdogs, but it's a huge game and we have some pride to regain after the debacle in November. 

I'm not sure if it's because we've been so downtrodden for the last decade, or whether TM's constant talking us down has convinced some, but some people are happy to accept absolute shite. As a poster alluded to above, JDT does appear to have a bit more ambition about him, which I hope will translate to the fanbase. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

No chance! 

When I say 'free hit' in this context, I mean more it's a game we aren't expected to win and we can play with a bit of freedom. Probably the wrong choice of words, but it's the most relaxed I've been about a game in a while. The pressure is on the home side. By no means am I suggesting we should write it off or be happy having our bellies tickled!

A bit like the way we approached the Carabao Cup game v. West Ham, then @smiller14. It's more of "Nowt to lose; see how we go against a Premier League outfit; new ground to 'tick'; probably a chance to blood some 'fringe' players."

Even when we went 2-1 down, it had been a good night. Then, when we equalised and went on to penalties, . . !

I'm not hoping for another "23-goal thriller!" - I know it wasn't really 23 goals!😉 - but for team and fans to go to Leicester in a similar frame of mind will do no harm.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

No chance! 

When I say 'free hit' in this context, I mean more it's a game we aren't expected to win and we can play with a bit of freedom. Probably the wrong choice of words, but it's the most relaxed I've been about a game in a while. The pressure is on the home side. By no means am I suggesting we should write it off or be happy having our bellies tickled!

I am not relaxed about it all. I hope like hell they do not clinch either the title or promotion at our place. I have already had the game enter my dreams, even though it is potentially 3 weeks away and probably longer if it gets postponed due to cup commitments.

I want us to rip them a new one and hope both Wharton brothers play and score.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Spot on, play each game as they come.

If they have the pride, which I believe they now do have, then any player who is "rested" will be well pissed off with missing a cup game against PL opposition.

Those who like to argue about anything just for the sake of it will disagree. They are wrong.

And from a purely selfish point of view, I want to see the Rovers win the FA cup in my lifetime.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, lraC said:

I am not relaxed about it all. I hope like hell they do not clinch either the title or promotion at our place. I have already had the game enter my dreams, even though it is potentially 3 weeks away and probably longer if it gets postponed due to cup commitments.

I want us to rip them a new one and hope both Wharton brothers play and score.

I was talking about the Leicester game. I am not remotely relaxed about Burnley!

I think it's set up perfectly for a win.

Although we may have 1 eye on the play offs, they must definitely have both eyes on their precarious league position, they have a huge game against Southampton at weekend which will absolutely take priority you'd have thought.

Looking forward to it, another ground ticked off.  The King Power looks a bit better than Filbert Street, you were practically below pitch level in that tatty old away end!

32 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

No worries at all 🙂 I too am dreading the Burnley game, hopefully it's pushed back so there's no prospect of them securing promotion at Ewood.

If they are already up and are champions (it is inevitable) it might not be as bad. We do need to turn them over though and let's face it, we could well secure a play off place, if it is very close to the end of the season, due to it being re-arranged.

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

If they are already up and are champions (it is inevitable) it might not be as bad. We do need to turn them over though and let's face it, we could well secure a play off place, if it is very close to the end of the season, due to it being re-arranged.

They would have to raise their game 200% to beat our beloved neighbours at Ewood, after that pathetic display at Turf Moor.

2 hours ago, smiller14 said:

No worries at all 🙂 I too am dreading the Burnley game, hopefully it's pushed back so there's no prospect of them securing promotion at Ewood.

Hadn't even thought of this. I wonder how many Rovers fans would be left at the final whistle if this was the case?!

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Promotion to the prem this season... or an FA cup win?

I'd probably go FA Cup. Promotion would be huge and so important, but winning the FA Cup is a lifelong dream. I sadly couldn't make the final in 2002 - bar another league win or a European cup win, the FA Cup is the pinnacle. 

• Like 1

FA cup win 100%. As a supporter, football is about memories and an FA cup win at Wembley would always be stand out.

I get why the business suits would prefer promotion, and obviously we would all love to go up but to win the main cup trophy in the country (throw in a European tour) would be incredible for a fan.

• Like 3

Full strength for me too. As Matty said it’s very likely in 2 weeks we’ll have 20 odd days off (either that or we’ll still be in the cup so happy days). 

Flying over for this one, last two I came over for were PNE 4-1 and Burnley 3-0 so I can only apologise! 
Drop a message if there is an obvious pub for pre-match (appears to be the counting house). It should be a good atmosphere with 2.5k sold. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smiller14 said:

My worst prospect is that the Dingles are made champions just before our game, and our players have to perform a guard of honour as they come onto the pitch.

Edited by rigger