BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

For anyone not aware the game has to be finished tonight with extra time and penalties if required. We also have VAR for the first time (I can't remember any other time) so don't celebrate too wildly if we score just in case 😂😂

So I need to prepare for:

1. Get in!!! .............. Yes, Get in!!!

But also

2. Get in!!! .............. F O Y F Ts

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That was Appleton, not Bowyer. We made Danny Shittu look like a worldbeater that night.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Wasn't that under Appleton ?

Yeah you're both right sorry. I had Bowyer in my head for some reason. Looks like Bowyer took over a week later as Caretaker. I like to try and block out as much as possible from back then!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, superniko said:

Cardiff was a disgrace, and summed up that whole period.

Millwall was the big gut punch for me under Bowyer. We'd beaten Arsenal at the Emirates and then took Millwall to a home replay to finally get to play at the 'new Wembley' in the semi-final. What a chance and we performed so poorly. To add to the woes we would have drawn Wigan in the semi who went on to win it!

Incidentally, we played Leicester that same year, in the league, and a certain Harry Kane was on the scoresheet for them. Mind you we had a defender called Karim Rekik playing who I genuinely have no recollection of at all.

I was in a daze for days after that shite show, just not able to accept that we could be so awful at home in the late stages of the Cup.

Appleton brought Rekik in, aged about 19, as a short term loan but played him rarely.

That Millwall home game was one of the most abject efforts iv'e witnessed at Ewood without doubt and Appletons football in general was without doubt the worst.

No wonder though when the PNE cartel of him, Shaw and Agnew were running the show, where Kean Anderson and co were pure money driven evil the next lot were just inept clowns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Cardiff was a disgrace, and summed up that whole period.

Millwall was the big gut punch for me under Bowyer. We'd beaten Arsenal at the Emirates and then took Millwall to a home replay to finally get to play at the 'new Wembley' in the semi-final. What a chance and we performed so poorly. To add to the woes we would have drawn Wigan in the semi who went on to win it!

Incidentally, we played Leicester that same year, in the league, and a certain Harry Kane was on the scoresheet for them. Mind you we had a defender called Karim Rekik playing who I genuinely have no recollection of at all.

I've just Googled him. He's playing for Sevilla!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The League cup debacle in Cardiff cost me about £250 in tickets, petrol money, food etc. I might as well have burnt that money - it was a total waste. Even with the weakened team, it was clear the Rovers players couldn't be bothered - and that came from the manager. I was angry but disappointed most of all for 3 youngsters with me who were let down by the club

A story that will resonate with all those fans that travelled that night Jim, I swear the swine did it on purpose......  

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

For anyone not aware the game has to be finished tonight with extra time and penalties if required. We also have VAR for the first time (I can't remember any other time) so don't celebrate too wildly if we score just in case 😂😂

We had it for the 3rd round tie against Newcastle a few years back.

It was controversially used in the first game but not in the replay, when they went in front with an offside goal in extra time.

Mowbray whinged about it here.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We had it for the 3rd round tie against Newcastle a few years back.

It was controversially used in the first game but not in the replay, when they went in front with an offside goal in extra time.

Mowbray whinged about it here.

I vaguely remember yer man having a whinge but couldn't recall what it was about.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That Millwall home game was one of the most abject efforts iv'e witnessed at Ewood without doubt and Appletons football in general was without doubt the worst.

No wonder though when the PNE cartel of him, Shaw and Agnew were running the show, where Kean Anderson and co were pure money driven evil the next lot were just inept clowns.

I suspect when you look at Shaw and Agnew and the money they made, they weren't as inept as you suggest.

Inept from the club's point of view, yes.

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That was Appleton, not Bowyer. We made Danny Shittu look like a worldbeater that night.

We also made Chris Taylor look like Kaka that night too. I was somewhat slightly "excited" when he signed for us, oh well...

That night was a painful night, too many painful nights to chose from in that era. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

We also made Chris Taylor look like Kaka that night too. I was somewhat slightly "excited" when he signed for us, oh well...

That night was a painful night, too many painful nights to chose from in that era. 

I was the same. He was running riot on the night. 

This evening I would very much welcome a positive outcome, and a continuation of recent form, but I guess we might have to settle for second best against a team with greater strength in depth and a wily & well seasoned campaigner in their manager.

A lot will depend on our boldness and creativity in team selection. Not an easy ask for JDT, balancing our already thinly spread resources between the chance of glory in the Cup and maintaining momentum and resolve in the league. On paper there are some difficult choices to be made. A chance for the young bloods up front, perhaps?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is really expecting us to pull up any trees at the King Power Stadium. I do hope our boys give a good account of themselves, and progressing in the FA Cup would be a tremendous boost to the club.

Sing yer hearts out for the lads!

COYB!!

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

I can still remember the pain of the Millwall defeat. I can taste it. Just lumping the ball up every time , straight onto the bonce of the big unit they had playing for them.

Diabolical. But naturally... "a reet good go that were".

I believe the big lump was Danny Shittu. 6ft5 unit of a man. Its telling that that single game sticks out in so many minds given the sheer amount of dross that came both before and after. It really was the most clueless, bang your head against a brick wall game/tactics I've ever seen.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'll be brutally honest, I've clearly subconsciously refused to commit any of the last 12 years to memory because I've no idea who Chris Taylor is, or that Millwall game.

I barely remember who Appleton is. 

Don't worry, hardly memorable. So many players from that era just disappear into dust.

I remember everything before my kid was born in 2016, born into a time of Coyle at the helm, and Trump as president, what did I bring a life into this mad world for? Poor little thing. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I believe the big lump was Danny Shittu. 6ft5 unit of a man. Its telling that that single game sticks out in so many minds given the sheer amount of dross that came both before and after. It really was the most clueless, bang your head against a brick wall game/tactics I've ever seen.

I'd forgotten that it was an Appleton game, thought it was Bowyer.

But yeah, it really was appalling to watch. The frustration was unreal.

Chris Taylor:

_84016292_chris_taylor1.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 14.45.03.png

To be fair he was one of a few to show some effort. Always looked good playing against you. One of "those" Rovers players. When he played in the cup game, he was in the ref's face, in our player's faces, being a real shithouse, and getting stuck in. He didn't seem to have that at Rovers - just shows what a team spirit and togetherness can do to lift players.

Edited by Groundhog
more fun facts and opinions about Chrissy T
  • Like 3