BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (h) - 4/3/23

5 minutes ago, toogs said:

He looked really pedestrian when he came on vs Leics to help see out the game. Fresh legs he should have been busting his balls. Really disappointed me that. 

League Two is calling - nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, toogs said:

He looked really pedestrian when he came on vs Leics to help see out the game. Fresh legs he should have been busting his balls. Really disappointed me that. 

If it was his first such offence, I might forgive it.

2 hours ago, superniko said:

The highlight of their history is a few old funny Neil Warnock videos and a cricket match

Given the transfer cheating which the EFL are destined to do nothing about I'd love them to drop out of the top 2.

Not much is ever said about them being ruled by Saudis unlike Newcastle. 

I think the distinction between the ownership of the two clubs is that it is suggested that the owners of Newcastle are a front for the Saudi government whereas nobody is suggesting that about Sheffield United.

7 minutes ago, toogs said:

That's being unfair to pedestrian. The lad looks like it's chore being on the pitch. I've never seen a pro footballer look so disinterested. 

• Like 2

This game has the feeling of Bournemouth away last year, only a lot later in the season. We were on a great run and they were a test as to how far we'd come. 

We convincingly won that game, with a lot of heart and desire and at that point I truly started to believe (foolish). At the moment I'm very impressed with how we're performing but ultimately still doubt the overall quality in our squad. Beat Sheffield United this weekend and I know I won't be able to help myself getting carried away! 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think the distinction between the ownership of the two clubs is that it is suggested that the owners of Newcastle are a front for the Saudi government whereas nobody is suggesting that about Sheffield United.

I had a look at who owns them, because I thought it was unfair to say they should be criticised because they have a Saudi owner, as criticising every Saudi owner regardless of personal background would be kinda racist. But their owner is the grandson of the founder of Saudi Arabia. So, a member of the royal family and he has held a government position (General President of the General Sports Authority).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

I had a look at who owns them, because I thought it was unfair to say they should be criticised because they have a Saudi owner, as criticising every Saudi owner regardless of personal background would be kinda racist. But their owner is the grandson of the founder of Saudi Arabia. So, a member of the royal family and he has held a government position (General President of the General Sports Authority).

Saudi is a country where I suspect the founder will have an awful lot of grandsons. I think if this guy was now part of the government it wouldn't be the case that the club had run in to financial problems.

13 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Saudi is a country where I suspect the founder will have an awful lot of grandsons. I think if this guy was now part of the government it wouldn't be the case that the club had run in to financial problems.

It said he was the son of the 12th son of the founder, so yeh, an awfully large royal family...but he's still part of it and they all seem to be connected and look out for each other (apart from maybe the odd black sheep) and all seem to have shiteloads of cash. No longer in his government post, no, but connected enough to those running the country that if they wanted a proxy he'd be a good choice.

Have they ran into financial problems because he can't afford to fund them, or because of FFP limits?

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

It said he was the son of the 12th son of the founder, so yeh, an awfully large royal family...but he's still part of it and they all seem to be connected and look out for each other (apart from maybe the odd black sheep) and all seem to have shiteloads of cash. No longer in his government post, no, but connected enough to those running the country that if they wanted a proxy he'd be a good choice.

Have they ran into financial problems because he can't afford to fund them, or because of FFP limits?

I think you're right that for a Saudi citizen to make any money there they probably need to be closeish to the government. I thought their financial problems were cashflow - they couldn't make transfer payments that were due - but that's not an FFP issue as the limits would kick in when the transfer was initially concluded.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Yeah he’s a disappointment tbh, comes on late expect him to throw himself about and chase every ball but he’s slow and effortless it’s literally like playing with 10 

It's strange, I watched him at Hull and he did a great job when he came on, although more on the wing. 

Edited by M_B

1 hour ago, Rover_in_the_South said:

Personally I wouldn't chuck Diaz back in from the start..

Apologies for getting back to tomorrow's game but the Diaz position is a tough one.

He undoubtedly needs a rest, mentally and physically, as he hasn't played well since October and, for me, didn't justify his place.

In addition to that, I really don't think we can play like we did on Tuesday with BB in his usual position. It just does not work. 

If he plays in Gally's position, it might work, and I'd back him to score at least one of those sitters. 

I'd leave him on the bench for a week or two, and let him get angry. 

Nice problem to have. Whodathoughtit??? 🥳

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Good discussion here. I think we all know which position needs improving the most. 

Then, address the midfield- quality & depth. Overall strengthening the squad afterwards. 

I see no fewer than 5 additions this summer, no matter who leaves. 

Oops! Wrong thread! Apologies…

Eight games without a loss, I would be content to see that streak continue. Especially vs this bunch. 

We've had some trouble beating blades. It would be wonderful to take it at them tomorrow. I remember one of our first games under Tomasson. We were really flooding opposing passing lanes, and got a quick, easy goal. I’d love to see this again. 

Edited by WacoRover

Sheff United are the best side I've seen in Championship, they spanked us at Bramall Lane earlier in the season, we didn't get over half way for much of the game, but we had a cracking day out!

I'm going for a low scoring draw  1-1

After this weeks exploits at Leicester, I'd take a draw now. 

• Like 1

On our day I've seen us play as well as anyone 

Similarly to above too I thought Sheffield turned us over easily away 

No Mowbray death spiral to speak of 

I make that a positive, a negative, a positive. 

1-0 Rovers 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Gav, I agree with everything you say, except…

dingles are way above everybody else. And, get a great job every time from Kompany. Begrudgingly, I cede automatic promotion to them (& wish for a quick trip back down) 

Never seen them Waco so can't comment 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Not even good enough for that

He is - there's a skillful player in there. When the ball is at his feet he looks reasonably good.

The athletes get worse the lower down the pyramid you get - he probably doesn't get bullied off the ball as much in L2 and looks a decent player.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I fancy Rovers to win 1 nil. 

It will be interesting to see how JDT set up's and which full backs are select and whether BBD comes back into the team. Buckley comes into the team for Morton. Rest picks itself

Buckley has done nothing to lose his job and Morton has done nothing to win it.

The big call is whether he rests Dolan for Brereton-Diaz, or makes the Chilean earn his way back into the starting 11.

• Like 1