BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 15/3/23, 7:45pm

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Too tired to give a full review, but my immediate feeling is one of relief.

That should have been a cricket score, but somehow we ended up clinging on (against 10 men no less) because Gallagher and Brereton fluffed a hatful of chances and JDT refused to sub tired players. 

Always of the opinion that going down to 10 men so late in the game isn't necessarily a huge disadvantage in their position  - especially when they were going gung ho for an equaliser. 

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

A Pinot Noir is terrific with a lamb curry!  Though started with a Guinness particularly after Captain Guinness romped in at 12/1 at Cheltenham!!

A terrific day, great win at Cheltenham, Rovers' win, bookies caned and super Indian and Pinot Noir. 

I’m sure I read that you took Rovers to win 4-1?

Edited by Gav

I honestly don't think there is much between Buckley and Morton (and perhaps Adam Wharton too) given the way we are currently playing. They both have similar qualities and like to get on the ball. Both can be frustrating at times with decision making and carelessness but they can both keep us ticking over in possession. The biggest worry for me from last night is the missed opportunities but hopefully that was a one off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Watch the replay of that first half shot- there was late bend and dip which needed great reactions and iron muscles to keep it out. Obviously Pears didn't get as fortunate with the goal and shouldn't have been beaten where he was diving from but again look where it bounced and how hard it was struck. The Italian kid is a loanee from Chelsea.

Adam Wharton had been found out to an extent after that explosive start and hopefully is doing great work with the physio and video analysis. He will be a fabulous player.

As will Tyler Morton whom we forget is physically very slight yet is mostly holding his own in the bear pit that is the Championship midfield. You don't get a 5 year contract from Klop if you are not a bit special and in his quiet way he is showing he is if you care to look.

Wonder if Morton will be loaned out again next season.. would we take him?

Edited by Neilbristol
Replied to wrong quote

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

On Adam Wharton, he clearly had a disagreement with JDT a while back. I'm getting the impression he's had his bollocking and is being eased back into the fold now though. Still can't get my head round him going to watch City when we were playing but no point dwelling on it, he's a young lad who will do stupid shit and learn life lessons.

He looked much happier last night and the lads went straight to him to celebrate the 2nd goal which was good to see, he looked buzzing like all other Rovers fans.

JDT is no soft touch, that side of him is clear. Cheeky chappy and smiles on camera, ruthless behind the scenes, whilst still being well liked (I think?) amongst the players. I don't like keep referring back to our previous manager but he clearly had favourites, certain players were going on that team sheet even if they'd dropped multiple howlers the previous game. Is that beneficial particularly in a play off push? Or is it better to keep players on their toes, which seems to be the JDT approach. I bet Dolan, after dropping to the bench last night, will work his bollocks off that bit extra in training now leading up to the next game. It's a great approach to management and again something I will give JDT huge credit for. A different (better) mindset in this squad now this season, sulking will not be tolerated.

Where did you read about him watching city game?

Is this why jdt dropped him?

Edited by Neilbristol
Typo

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’m sure I read that you took Rovers to win 4-1?

Yes you did - after that super early goal, thought we'd blow them away so bet 4-1 in play.

Pre match was Rovers' win just shy of evens so a nice net profit.

Tip for today at Cheltenham - An Tailliur e/w.  Got it at 16/1 though odds falling.

• Like 1

We should have been out of sight in this one- Gallagher's finishing tonight was really poor. Tommason needs to do some 1-2-1 work with him.  It's very positive he's finding himself in the right position though. Drives me mad when a ball gets whipped into the box and he's not there because he'd fucked from pressing..

Sorba, Carter and Travis all had good games I thought.

Brereton looked fairly sharp,  a massive improvement on his recent turgid performances..

Really happy with how we're looking at the back.  With nine games to go I think we need to win 5 of them, if we do that'll put pressure on WBA, Watford and Norwich to win 7 of their last 9 which, whilst not impossible- I do think they have much better squads than us and could absolutely do that seems unlikely.

We also have it in us to not win any of the last 9..  I think now, given we've been top 6 all season it'd be really disappointing to not secure a place in the playoffs.

Jon Dahl has done a tremendous job with a massive handicap.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
55 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Where did you read about him watching city game?

Is this why jdt dropped him?

It was on his instagram story. I’d suggest it’s a storm in a teacup tbh. He went to Moorland School, where both Rovers and City academy products go. He probably knows some City academy products who he went to the game with, so it’s most likely not all that deep…

• Like 4

Job done. To coin a Mowbrayism - we put the points in the bag and we move on.

Nervy, tense, edgey, flat. Everything I thought it might be. A tough scenario in a game you are supposed to win especially when you score so early and the game almost feels too 'easy'. After the equaliser I thought we would do what we have done so often in the past when we get a sucker punch and just find it almost impossible to get ourselves going again - but this side are now made of sterner stuff.

I was aghast at the Thomas change initially as I thought, as usual, he was proving a decent outlet. Understood the Dolan one as I thought BBD looked like he was holding his hamstrings, but Hedges came up trumps with a lovely finish just inside the corner (from my angle in the BBE I thought he had put it wide).

Special mentions for me for Travis, Gallagher and Szmodics. Travis looks rejuvenated and Gallagher is starting to look like the centre forward his physique will allow him to be. He's putting himself about and is winning aerial duals and flick-ons that are aimed towards him. Szmodics is a revelation and his energy and cute little runs are causing teams all sorts of issues. The way the team is playing I think we can put down to he and Thomas being in the side brining energy and verve. Hoping SS, and we, can maintain the energy on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Yes you did - after that super early goal, thought we'd blow them away so bet 4-1 in play.

Pre match was Rovers' win just shy of evens so a nice net profit.

Tip for today at Cheltenham - An Tailliur e/w.  Got it at 16/1 though odds falling.

Lumped on. Don't let me down @Mercer

Absolutely huge win last night. The manner of it, getting a late winner will do wonders for the atmosphere in the squad. 

Coventry, Norwich and West Brom all drawing was so important, finally creating a bit of a buffer for us. I'd take finishing 6th in an instant, so they're the main results I'm concerned with right now. To know that we'll be in the top 6 going into the international break is a big, big boost. 

Now we can go and enjoy the FA Cup game and come back firing against Birmingham in April. It really feels as though we come through a portion of the season, take a little mental break from the league and aim to come back firing. 

Regardless of how this season ends, we and JDT have done a phenomenal job. We're now 3 points better off than we were at this point last year and most importantly have momentum rather than being in freefall.

• Like 4

Id say last few games are probably the most attacking we've played since the Shearer days. Time after time yesterday we had two CBs on half way, one of the mids sitting just in front and everyone else in the final third. 

Szmodics, BBD and Pickering would play veru wide left and get in behind, while on the right JRC, Thomas and Travis (!) would do the same. The three either side ganging up on the full back was absolutely devastating. On top of that we would always get two to three bodies into the box for the cross. Its absolutely night and day compared to pre world cup where we would be lucky to get a cross in at all, and if we did there would be no one in the box.

We were greatly helped by the gov'nor obviously having done little homework. They hardly pressed and we took full advantage.

Fantastic performance only spoilt by some poor finishing. Still do think well prepared sides with pace and athleticism will cause us lots of problems (as Stoke did). We are very very wide open.

But it is refreshing to have a manager who seems to be all about attack.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

Massive 3 points. At this stage of the season, it’s all about the points on the board.

The 37th game last season was the 1-0 home defeat to Bristol City, where we missed a penalty late on then they scored a stoppage time winner. Make no mistake, the mentality of these boys this season is stronger and more determined than last.

I was in the camp of not wanting Mowbray out (as I thought we were more likely to see a Coyle-style appointment) but my word, JDT is a breath of fresh air. Not afraid to put players in the U21’s for a couple of weeks and nearly every time that’s happened, the players have come back faster, stronger, fitter and better.

Back to the game yesterday, it was a good performance and we should have scored more. But looking at the data (and I’m not a fan of the xG stuff), it’s one of the only times this season that I can think of where we have missed a number of chances this season. That said, what Gallagher lacked in finishing last night he made up for in being better in the air, being a nuisance in the middle and playing that delightful backheel for the winning goal.

All in all, this is a game where you can see the change in the belief of players compared to just a year ago. 

Now it’s about getting me in that away end on Sunday, with 5,900 of my fellow fans and cheering the boys on because they deserve it.

JDT’s Blue and White Army 💙🤍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I honestly don't think there is much between Buckley and Morton (and perhaps Adam Wharton too) given the way we are currently playing. They both have similar qualities and like to get on the ball. Both can be frustrating at times with decision making and carelessness but they can both keep us ticking over in possession. The biggest worry for me from last night is the missed opportunities but hopefully that was a one off.

Morton passes backwards and sideways (and ducks out of tackles).

Wharton, Buckley (and Garrett) have taken the game by the scruff of the neck at times and driven us forward. As I said, it took 70 minutes for Morton to turn on the ball and run into the acres of space in the centre of the park (and even then seemed unsure what to do with the ball).

He's been a good loan signing because he's 'fine' and has been available all season, but at this point he should be 4th choice for the CM role.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

JDT is no soft touch, that side of him is clear. Cheeky chappy and smiles on camera, ruthless behind the scenes, whilst still being well liked (I think?) amongst the players. I don't like keep referring back to our previous manager but he clearly had favourites, certain players were going on that team sheet even if they'd dropped multiple howlers the previous game. Is that beneficial particularly in a play off push? Or is it better to keep players on their toes, which seems to be the JDT approach. I bet Dolan, after dropping to the bench last night, will work his bollocks off that bit extra in training now leading up to the next game. It's a great approach to management and again something I will give JDT huge credit for. A different (better) mindset in this squad now this season, sulking will not be tolerated.

Spot on there and JDT is well liked by Rovers but strong, firm and ruthless with them

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Watch the replay of that first half shot- there was late bend and dip which needed great reactions and iron muscles to keep it out. Obviously Pears didn't get as fortunate with the goal and shouldn't have been beaten where he was diving from but again look where it bounced and how hard it was struck. The Italian kid is a loanee from Chelsea.

@roversfan99do you care to adjust your opinion on Pears save which you said was straight at it which it wasnt? 

Morton has the game to suit Rovers style of play. Granted, he doesn't get it right all of the time and he makes some mistakes BUT so does every midfielder even the world class ones!

At this stage its simply about points and winning games, it its ugly, or a last minute off the arse own goal, it matters not a jot. There is a strong mentality in this squad, its there its evident and its what has been missing over the past few years.

To be where we are is a credit to all at the club.

Looking at the fixtures ahead, we have winnable and losable games, its about approaching each one in the right way and I believe that JDY has got this message through to the players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The problem wth Morton is he doesn't influence the game enough.  He has 2 assists  and no goals in 30 odd appearances.  That's pretty poor for a creative midfielder.  His tackling is weak and he's also cost us 2/3 goals with stray passes/dallying on the ball. 

Not sure how accurate the data is but Adam Wharton has 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 appearaces.  Also struggled with the physical  side at times though.  

For me, especially as he is our player, Morton doesn't deserve to be ahead of Wharton.  

Such a shame we fecked up the Obrien signing...

You see I just don't think it's fair to look at his GA output as the deepest lying of our midfielders. His role is to be the quarter back and pick it up off the centre-backs. He's not the one in the final third playing the assist pass, he's playing the initial pass - see his pass to Gallagher for the Hedges goal.

Criticism of Rothwell's GA output for example was much more substantiated in my opinion due to the positions he took the ball into.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

but if he sees that as a burden at a half full Ewood then he will struggle going forward to do it at the top level.

My whole point was that he doesn't see it as a burden, and seems to handle the pressure of that role pretty well.

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You see I just don't think it's fair to look at his GA output as the deepest lying of our midfielders. His role is to be the quarter back and pick it up off the centre-backs. He's not the one in the final third playing the assist pass, he's playing the initial pass - see his pass to Gallagher for the Hedges goal.

Criticism of Rothwell's GA output for example was much more substantiated in my opinion due to the positions he took the ball into.

Rothwell had 10 assists last season when playing that more attacking role and became a regular starter, only 5 or 6 players had more in the league.

You're right, they're not comparable as they play different roles within the team, but I'd agree with the original poster that there isn't enough output from Morton, and what others have said about his defensive frailties. If we see more of the type of pass to Gallagher going forward we'd be better for it.

There was a moment last night when even the very biased Rovers commentators had a little "move forward into the space" outburst (maybe not outburst but a bit of a passionate tone) about him as he had acres of space in front of him but was instead looking for the easy pass

Edited by superniko

11 minutes ago, superniko said:

Rothwell had 10 assists last season when playing that more attacking role and became a regular starter, only 5 or 6 players had more in the league.

Yes and the criticism of Rothwell that I refer to came mainly in the season before, where he didn't provide as many GA's.

1 hour ago, BigUts said:

Lumped on. Don't let me down @Mercer

Are you new to this site? 

He gets Rovers games wrong most weeks and thats a 2 horse race.

He managed to lose last night after he'd won.

You've more money than sense BigUts 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yes and the criticism of Rothwell that I refer to came mainly in the season before, where he didn't provide as many GA's.

Season before was 3 goals and 4 assists and he wasn't as much of a regular (fewer minutes than Morton this year with an additional 9 games to go still).

Bit of a moot point comparing the two as we say because of their role/position, but it's fairer to be critical of Mortons attacking involvement than Rothwells over whichever year you want to choose.

Edited by superniko