BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 15/3/23, 7:45pm

4 hours ago, DaveyB said:

Really don’t get all the criticism of Morton. He’s not been outstanding, but he’s certainly not as bad as you would believe if all you read was this site.

I do think some of it comes down to the fact that he’s on loan and so therefore not really our player. Every other player in the team makes mistakes and gives the ball away, probably to a similar degree to Morton, but he seems to get criticised far more than most. 
An example of if from last night - at one point he misplaced a pass and a guy behind me started shouting, saying ’F’ing Morton, he’s always giving it away’, ‘Take him off’ etc. Fast forward a few minutes and Travis misplaces a simple 5-yard square ball intended for Morton and instead plays it straight to the defender - cue the same guy behind me ‘F**king Morton again - why’s he not getting that?’

If that same person was incredibly handsome and also shouting for JDT to use subs from the 70th minute onwards you might sit near me in the Jack Walker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Szmodics is a player who is in his peak years and wasn't guaranteed a place in the side of a terrible Peterborough side last season, their fans seemed happy to see him go. He was stand out in League 1 for them but struggled with the step up, having also not made the grade at Bristol City in his previous spell at this level.

His first half season was really underwhelming but his performances in recent weeks have not just been full of energy but also quality. His energy and intensity is infectious but he is a danger on the ball too.

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Can't comment on what his situation at P'boro was, but everything I read from their fans suggested that they were gutted he was leaving.

As for his first half of the season, he was in/out of the side and had injury issues, but he certainly showed glimpses of his talent - like the goal at Swansea for example.

Delighted at how well he's doing now, looks a very good Championship player, at the peak of his powers. Looks to be a very good addition to the side, at a very decent price.

• Like 1

Some of us have very quickly forgotten our relative dip in form from the Burnley game until Feb, and for me the only criticism of any players (taking Stoke out of that equation) since mid-Feb is their finishing of often very simple chances. 

Criticising our midfield when they have created numerous good chances for our misfiring forwards, seems really shortsighted. It isn't long ago that we were nervously passing it around at the back, and taking forever to get past the halfway line, and just not creating any chances for Dack and BBD. 

Since Dack and Diaz were injured, we have played a different, faster, more dynamic game, and created, usually, loads of clear chances. 

It us not Morton or Buckley's fault that we're not scoring 4 every game. 

A few on here would have played Garrett ahead of Morton, and in my opinion we would have been much less forward thinking, as you will see as soon as 'terrible' Tyler is injured. 

I really can't fault us in 4 out of every 5 games at the moment, and that is promotion form. 

If we can just find that composure in the box to score 2 or 3 when we're on top, that will be the icing. 

I'm happy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Can't comment on what his situation at P'boro was, but everything I read from their fans suggested that they were gutted he was leaving.

As for his first half of the season, he was in/out of the side and had injury issues, but he certainly showed glimpses of his talent - like the goal at Swansea for example.

Delighted at how well he's doing now, looks a very good Championship player, at the peak of his powers. Looks to be a very good addition to the side, at a very decent price.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-fans-say-sell-sammie-szmodicsbut-only-if-the-price-is-right-3778005

Most were happy to sell at the price quoted.

16 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Some of us have very quickly forgotten our relative dip in form from the Burnley game until Feb, and for me the only criticism of any players (taking Stoke out of that equation) since mid-Feb is their finishing of often very simple chances. 

Criticising our midfield when they have created numerous good chances for our misfiring forwards, seems really shortsighted. It isn't long ago that we were nervously passing it around at the back, and taking forever to get past the halfway line, and just not creating any chances for Dack and BBD. 

Since Dack and Diaz were injured, we have played a different, faster, more dynamic game, and created, usually, loads of clear chances. 

It us not Morton or Buckley's fault that we're not scoring 4 every game. 

A few on here would have played Garrett ahead of Morton, and in my opinion we would have been much less forward thinking, as you will see as soon as 'terrible' Tyler is injured. 

I really can't fault us in 4 out of every 5 games at the moment, and that is promotion form. 

If we can just find that composure in the box to score 2 or 3 when we're on top, that will be the icing. 

I'm happy.

To be fair Morton owes us several assists.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Szmodics is a player who is in his peak years and wasn't guaranteed a place in the side of a terrible Peterborough side last season, their fans seemed happy to see him go. He was stand out in League 1 for them but struggled with the step up, having also not made the grade at Bristol City in his previous spell at this level.

His first half season was really underwhelming but his performances in recent weeks have not just been full of energy but also quality. His energy and intensity is infectious but he is a danger on the ball too.

Why does it matters what Peterborough fans thought?

He is showing his worth to the team and why we sign him. His work rate and effort is top notch and exactly

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why does it matters what Peterborough fans thought?

He is showing his worth to the team and why we sign him. His work rate and effort is top notch and exactly

I know you don't have any interest in the opinions of other fans, you pull me up over it every single time. Can you just scroll past please next time. I do find it relevant and I am sure I am not alone.

His Championship track record is underwhelming, he isn't a youngster and fans of a relegated team didn't mind him leaving. He also underwhelmed for half a season. The point that you have missed is that it is great that in the last month or two he has really come into his own at this level. I hope it is a sign of him fitting into our team and stepping up leading to consistent performances at the level he is performing over a longer term basis. I have been impressed not necessarily just with his pressing (energy and work rate isn't enough alone, case in point Elliott Bennett who did so but was shite) but moreso with quality on the ball.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know you don't have any interest in the opinions of other fans, you pull me up over it every single time. Can you just scroll past please next time. I do find it relevant and I am sure I am not alone.

Why it relevant then? 

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His Championship track record is underwhelming, he isn't a youngster and fans of a relegated team didn't mind him leaving. He also underwhelmed for half a season. The point that you have missed is that it is great that in the last month or two he has really come into his own at this level. I hope it is a sign of him fitting into our team and stepping up leading to consistent performances at the level he is performing over a longer term basis. I have been impressed not necessarily just with his pressing (energy and work rate isn't enough alone, case in point Elliott Bennett who did so but was shite) but moreso with quality on the ball.

His performances have been outstanding recently. His quality on the ball has been very good. Also notice that the team has clicked since that Rotherham away game 

Edited by chaddyrovers

On 16/03/2023 at 00:44, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The problem wth Morton is he doesn't influence the game enough.  He has 2 assists  and no goals in 30 odd appearances.  That's pretty poor for a creative midfielder.  His tackling is weak and he's also cost us 2/3 goals with stray passes/dallying on the ball. 

Not sure how accurate the data is but Adam Wharton has 1 goal and 2 assists in 14 appearaces.  Also struggled with the physical  side at times though.  

For me, especially as he is our player, Morton doesn't deserve to be ahead of Wharton.  

Such a shame we fecked up the Obrien signing...

Completely agree

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought there were outpourings of affection and angst at Peterborough when he was reportedly signing for us? At his last game, as turned out to be, weren't there "we don't want you to go" type banners?

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

From what I remember they thought he was a good player, however they believed we had overpaid.

Up until recently it may have looked like they had a point, but he’s obviously improved markedly in recent weeks.

That's how I remember it as well. Disappointed to see him go, but very happy with what they got for him. All parties satisfied. 

Roversfan asking Chaddy to stop pulling him up on things and scroll past his posts is a step in the right direction, if not hypocritical. Let's hope it works both ways 🤞

But Peteborough fans were never 'glad to get rid'. They just didn't think he was worth the circa £2m

Well, shows what they know because he's been worth every penny

In the modern age £2m is probably the going rate for a good squad player that can play a part in a promotion winning team

Always maintained he was worth the money. If it is there to spend and you can get a player like Szmodics in then do it. Dack was never going to get a full season in and we needed a player able to step in and do a job. Last few weeks, after a period of adjustment, he's proven he is capable of doing that

I would like to see more goals added to his game, but his tenacity and his acts in the build up play demonstrate his value

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why it relevant then? 

His performances have been outstanding recently. His quality on the ball has been very good. Also notice that the team has clicked since that Rotherham away game 

It gives you a very good idea of how the player has been playing at his previous club from people who see him every week.

35 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Roversfan asking Chaddy to stop pulling him up on things and scroll past his posts is a step in the right direction, if not hypocritical. Let's hope it works both ways 🤞

But Peteborough fans were never 'glad to get rid'. They just didn't think he was worth the circa £2m

Well, shows what they know because he's been worth every penny

In the modern age £2m is probably the going rate for a good squad player that can play a part in a promotion winning team

Always maintained he was worth the money. If it is there to spend and you can get a player like Szmodics in then do it. Dack was never going to get a full season in and we needed a player able to step in and do a job. Last few weeks, after a period of adjustment, he's proven he is capable of doing that

I would like to see more goals added to his game, but his tenacity and his acts in the build up play demonstrate his value

Not glad to get rid, but a huge majority wanting to sell at the price quoted.

He is in his peak years and has not thrived at Championship level on both occasions having stood out at League 1 level. There wasn't much if any evidence that he could contribute for a team chasing promotion at this level.

His work rate and effort is infectious but that wouldn't justify the fee, Bennett did likewise and was crap. But on the ball he has really shown quality to take his game up a notch or two lately and is thriving, it doesn't make the doubts as he arrived to be wrong based on his career to date but a number of things could come into play, he might be enjoying playing with better players, he might have learnt from Tomasson and the coaches, or he may feel that circumstances in his 2 prior spells at this level worked against him.

I am not sure that £2m is the going rate for a squad player but if he continues as he is playing then he is becoming more than just a squad player.

Feels like you're going to great lengths to justify a previously held opinion. No one cares if you change your mind - or at least shouldn't... I thought Szmodics wasn't up to the required level only about 2 months ago. I was wrong. Looks like Broughton has bagged a good 'un for a very reasonable fee.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XLM said:

Feels like you're going to great lengths to justify a previously held opinion. No one cares if you change your mind - or at least shouldn't... I thought Szmodics wasn't up to the required level only about 2 months ago. I was wrong. Looks like Broughton has bagged a good 'un for a very reasonable fee.

I have said more than once that he is performing at a level beyond my expectation based on his career to date. I have praised him for his quality on the ball in particular and suggested contributing factors as to perhaps how he has stepped up a level, especially playing with better players. I said that the fee isn't justifiable for a squad player but his performances in the last month or two have elevated him above merely being a squad player which changes the discussion entirely.

I don't see how that justifies a previous held opinion. I clearly have changed my mind (assuming he maintains this level of performance) and have praised Szmodics for doing so.

I stand by the fact that he had struggled at this level in the past and that most polled Peterborough fans wanted to sell for the price we paid. I feel that the widespread questioning of the signing was still justifiable, but football is obviously not an exact science and players can push on a level and/or thrive in certain situations and Szmodics seems to be doing that.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have said more than once that he is performing at a level beyond my expectation based on his career to date. I have praised him for his quality on the ball in particular and suggested contributing factors as to perhaps how he has stepped up a level, especially playing with better players. I said that the fee isn't justifiable for a squad player but his performances in the last month or two have elevated him above merely being a squad player which changes the discussion entirely.

I don't see how that justifies a previous held opinion. I clearly have changed my mind (assuming he maintains this level of performance) and have praised Szmodics for doing so.

I stand by the fact that he had struggled at this level in the past and that most polled Peterborough fans wanted to sell for the price we paid. I feel that the widespread questioning of the signing was still justifiable, but football is obviously not an exact science and players can push on a level and/or thrive in certain situations and Szmodics seems to be doing that.

That's all cool. Was just saying it's fine to have changed your mind, you had a legit take back then based on what you knew and you have a different take now based on knowing more. It's all good.

Does show that he was well scouted and chosen by that side of the hierarchy though, because like you and many more I was very skeptical.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It gives you a very good idea of how the player has been playing at his previous club from people who see him every week.

That's were I disagree there. Everything is an opinion. That's it. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is in his peak years and has not thrived at Championship level on both occasions having stood out at League 1 level. There wasn't much if any evidence that he could contribute for a team chasing promotion at this level.

But yet our scouting team thought he was right choice for the number 10 JDT wanted? Maybe our head coach is using his attributes in the right way. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

why we shouldnt used Peterborough fans opinions isnt it?