BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which moment(s) in our history…

1. are you most pleased to be have been there for?

2. most wish you could have been there for?

For me it’s:

1. the celebrations following the winning of the premier league (although the memories are slightly blurred by the alcohol consumed!).

2. Seeing Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas play in person.

1) I'm too young to remember '95 and too young to have done any of our European tours, so I'll have to stick with Cardiff 2002!

2) Any of our successes up to 1928. I appreciate '95, but I'd love to be able to see Rovers and the game of that era. Healless, Suter, Crompton et al.

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

1. are you most pleased to be have been there for?

2. most wish you could have been there for?

For me it’s:

1. the celebrations following the winning of the premier league (although the memories are slightly blurred by the alcohol consumed!).

2. Seeing Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas play in person.

1. The Worthington Cup win.

2. The '95 title win at Anfield. I watched it on TV while my parents went to the match, I was gutted but they were lucky to get the two tickets they got. It was still an amazing moment for me but not the same as being there, and I'll never have that chance again.

I'm not attached enough to our history before my time to pick any other moment, probably because I haven't lived in those times. Would have been lovely to see Douglas play though as I've heard so much about him, and I'd have loved to see the matches in the very early days of Suter et al, partly because it's so historic but also because it would be fascinating to see how different the football was.

1) Anfield ‘95

2) Would love to have been around in the late 50s/early 60s when provincial/town clubs would mix it (and often have the better of) with the big city clubs at the top of the old first division.

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

1) Anfield ‘95

2) Would love to have been around in the late 50s/early 60s when provincial/town clubs would mix it (and often have the better of) with the big city clubs at the top of the old first division.

Way before my time, but my Dad used to tell me that the Rovers side that played under Johnny Carey in the 50s was the best in his lifetime.

• Like 1

1) Being at the old Wembley to see Rovers beat Charlton in the Full Members Cup. It was a turning point for a club that had routinely undertaken an annual battle against promotion for way too many years, and perhaps the excitement was the trigger to get Jack Walker to see the possibilities for his home town club.

2) I wish I'd been able to get to the Worthington Cup Final but was stuck in Galway that weekend.

Southern softies Charlton and Spurs, sucker punched by the famous old blue & white Norvern Hawds at Wemberlee twice in my lifetime 🤣 Brilliant!

1 - Anfield 95 - despite being in the home end (next to the Rovers fans) it was just brilliant, and everyone around us was fantastic too. Something we'll never see again.

2 - Full Members Cup 1987 - Just a bit too young unfortunately.

Too young for 95. Gutted I missed the 02 Final. As a family, we never went to football games when I was young so it never occurred to me that I could have gone. Watched it at home, recorded it on VHS and was horrified the next day when I realised that I’d accidentally recorded 3 hours of BBC1’s mid-afternoon programming instead. 

2 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

1) Being at the old Wembley to see Rovers beat Charlton in the Full Members Cup. It was a turning point for a club that had routinely undertaken an annual battle against promotion for way too many years, and perhaps the excitement was the trigger to get Jack Walker to see the possibilities for his home town club.

2) I wish I'd been able to get to the Worthington Cup Final but was stuck in Galway that weekend.

Southern softies Charlton and Spurs, sucker punched by the famous old blue & white Norvern Hawds at Wemberlee twice in my lifetime 🤣 Brilliant!

It’s lucky you were stuck in Galway as you’d have been on your own if you’d turned up at Wembley…

I've been lucky enough to experience, in person, all of Rovers 'recent' history major moments: FMC '87, Palace '89 (just don't!), Wembley Play-off '92, Anfield '95, Cardiff '02. But for me, nothing beats that day at Anfield. Me & my Liverpool supporting mate got stung by a tout with 2 dodgy tickets, only to then stumble across a guy selling 2 tickets in the main stand because his daughter and son-in-law couldn't make it. We got them at face value and were sat next to him - top bloke! Absolutely amazing day.

I was at Uni in Liverpool and when we got back to the Halls of Residence bar I saw a lad in a West Ham shirt. I promptly bought him a pint and joined him in a rendition of "Ludo, Ludo, Ludo!" 😆

As others have said, I would've loved to have seen Dougie & Ronnie play. Heard so much about them on here and from my dad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

I've been lucky enough to experience, in person, all of Rovers 'recent' history major moments: FMC '87, Palace '89 (just don't!), Wembley Play-off '92, Anfield '95, Cardiff '02. But for me, nothing beats that day at Anfield. Me & my Liverpool supporting mate got stung by a tout with 2 dodgy tickets, only to then stumble across a guy selling 2 tickets in the main stand because his daughter and son-in-law couldn't make it. We got them at face value and were sat next to him - top bloke! Absolutely amazing day.

As others have said, I would've loved to have seen Dougie & Ronnie play. Heard so much about them on here and from my dad.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts - and you can add in the promotions (particularly the glorious nights at Gigg Lane and Deepdale) to those as well. 

My big regret was not being able to make the celebration evening at Ewood after we won the premier league. As I was at Anfield it was only fair to let the wife and older son go to that (we had a new baby at the time so one of us had to stay home).

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Excellent choice for a thread, @wilsdenrover; thanks for the idea.

As regards the game I was happiest to have attended, I see that others have already commented on the wins in the Full Members' Cup (Surely the trophy with the most bizarre name?!😏 ) 1987; and the League Cup 2002.

So can I offer my memory of 15th February, 1975? It was the day of the 5th Round of the F.A. Cup, which took priority for Match of the Day over the contractual obligation the BBC had to feature a limited number of games per season from Divisions other than the First.

So, as we'd already been knocked out of the Cup, there was no chance of our "Second v Top of Division 3" game at home to Plymouth Argyle being shown on television. What a game they missed!!

Gordon Lee, who'd been appointed manager halfway through the previous season, had used the close season to recruit a squad capable of being promoted back to Division Two. However, we'd had a bit of a blip in late January/early February, picking up only 1 point out of 9 , including a 2-1 defeat in Plymouth who had taken our place at the top of the Division 3 table.

At this length of time, I can't be certain, but seem to recall that Argyle were 2-0 up just before half time in the return game at Ewood 11 days later when Ken "Beamo" Beamish made it 2-1.

I don't know what Gordon Lee said to the lads during the interval; but in the second half, "Dear old" Don Martin and Mike Hickman each scored a couple without reply for Rovers to run out - 'scuse the football writers' cliché! - 5-2 winners.

And with the exception of the away game in Colchester (I bet that ruined more than a few Pools coupons!) which we lost, we were unbeaten in the remaining 16 games of the season to clinch the title by 1 point from Argyle.

I was so chuffed that February evening that I couldn't go directly home; I went via the home of one of my work colleagues who also had completely blue and white eyes! He was so surprised to see me; but I just needed to share what I'd seen with another true fan!

As for the game I most wish I could have seen, it's the 1960 Cup Final. And that's mainly for my Dad's sake more than mine. I was only 14 at the time and if I could have been there, my Dad would have had to be there, too.

His best pal had had a ticket for the 1928 Final but my Dad couldn't have afforded one in those difficult times. So even though we lost the 1960 Final, I'd have loved it if he could have been there at least once when we played at Wembley.

We lived in Blackpool at the time and I'd been totally insufferable at school about what we were going to do to Wolves. The Monday after that game was the longest day of my life! I never knew how awful Humble Pie tasted!!

Because of where we lived, we both knew we had even less chance of Wembley tickets than most season-ticket holders, so we watched the game on TV more philosophically than many of them must have been able to!

One humorous memory of that game was seeing Kenneth Wolstenholme going round the ground a couple of hours interviewing fans of both clubs. He found an archetypal Rovers' fan, who told him that Wolves "hadn't got a snowball's chance in hell" of beating us. 

Ah, well!!

• Like 1

1, Difficult choice this one but I think Wembley Play-off final. That feeling of knowing we were going to play in the top flight after 17 years of supporting Rovers was just incredible - particularly after the Palace defeat. Honourable mentions to Gigg Lane 80, FMC 87, and Cardiff 2002

2. Anfield 95. Disappointment of not being there was softened by going to work in Swinton the following day with my Rovers shirt on. Lots of grief from the plastic Man U fans (those who never went!) but congratulations from (most of) the real Man U fans who knew how long I'd followed us. Their view was 'you got more points than us - that's what winning a league is!'

• Like 2

It would be easy for me to say The Full members Cup Final, winning the Premier League at Anfield and the League Cup in Cardiff but I'll add both the Play-off Final and particularly the first leg of the semi-final at Ewood when Rovers came from 2-0 behind to win 4-2. The latter is still the only game I have ever been to when the singing continued right through the half-time break.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, only2garners said:

It would be easy for me to say The Full members Cup Final, winning the Premier League at Anfield and the League Cup in Cardiff but I'll add both the Play-off Final and particularly the first leg of the semi-final at Ewood when Rovers came from 2-0 behind to win 4-2. The latter is still the only game I have ever been to when the singing continued right through the half-time break.

'The first leg of the semi-final at Ewood when Rovers came from 2-0 behind to win 4-2.' Amazing game - the  Mike Newell thunderbolt is possibly the most memorable moment in my Rovers-watching history.

1) Full Members Cup Final in 87 for me, that day was beyond my wildest dreams, little did I know what was to come. 

2) Worthington Cup Final - Just perfect.

3) Anfield 95 - Couldn't get a ticket.....

4) Trelleborg UEFA Cup - Blackburn Rovers? In Europe? Never!

5 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

It’s lucky you were stuck in Galway as you’d have been on your own if you’d turned up at Wembley…

Doh! I know it was 20 years ago plus, and I know I watched the game on the telly box, and I guess I knew it was at Cardiff and not Wemberlee. S'funny what age does to memories ... you had to be THERE, I guess, for it to get indelibly imprinted in your soul, and of course my regret is that I wasn't there 😪

But we still stuck it to the Saverners. Good n proper and that is always very satisfying even these days.

MMAG!

4 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

1, Difficult choice this one but I think Wembley Play-off final. That feeling of knowing we were going to play in the top flight after 17 years of supporting Rovers was just incredible - particularly after the Palace defeat. Honourable mentions to Gigg Lane 80, FMC 87, and Cardiff 2002

2. Anfield 95. .... .... .... ....

Thanks for reminding me of that game, @oneandycrawford. It was a bit special, all right.

• Like 1