BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

He's the manager, has all the stats,  and carries the can so he can select whoever he wants, I don't think balls come into it

So keep playing Gallagher up front and if you don’t get the 4 wins you need from 9 games, including 5 at home, you’ve failed. If he thinks that Gallagher and Morton’s performance over the last 2 games is good enough because of the ‘stats’ then fine. But 2 defeats and 0 goals scored are pretty damning stats.

@SIMON GARNERS 194 Just because you’ve got piss poor options, it doesn’t mean you don’t try them when you’re firing blanks. We can’t do any worse than score 0 goals and have 0 presence up top. Playing kids would be a brave move at this stage, but it doesn’t seem it can be worse than what we are getting.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

On 08/04/2023 at 13:12, Sparks Rover said:

The fans are getting behind them, sold out on Monday.  Big game, wonder what's going to happen with Warnock buzzing....incidently, someone you didn't want under any circumstances.

Every big game we've played this season we have bottled.

I know the point you're making, @Sparks Rover ; but was the West Ham League Cup game only a medium-sized game? It certainly felt pretty big on our way home.

• Like 1

I'm just praying the lads find some form tomorrow. If I'm being brutally honest we don't have masses of different personnel to actually pick from with our replacements. We don't have a form player to replace an out of form player.

We are getting to the point now where just not having people like Gallagher and Morton in the team will give fans the boost, can somebody step up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He scored in all 3 games before the international break to be fair.

And even in those games he scored he was a passenger most of the time. He just isn't doing enough to justify a starting place in my view. We need everyone to be at it tomorrow and at the moment he isn't.

• Like 4

I think some of the criticism of Brereton’s performance is harsh. Practically every pass to him was a safe one in to his feet, or just behind him, on the halfway line with his back to goal. He’s at his best when he’s running onto balls over the top or into the channels. Our play was nowhere near brave enough, it was the return of the laboured, incessant passing to feet. Playing Hedges encourages this. He’s slow and on his wrong foot so he’s always coming backwards. 

One thing Gallagher has done well in recent weeks has been coming deep to win flick-ons. This didn’t happen once on Friday through no fault of his, it was because we barely varied our play at all.

That doesn’t excuse the rest of Gallagher’s dreadful performance though, and I’d be reluctant to start him despite the lack of options, same goes for Hedges. Surely now the penny must have dropped regarding Morton. I’d give Brittain a start and play JRC in front of him, that’s more to do with our lack of options tomorrow than anything Brittain has done - he’s been disappointing overall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think some of the criticism of Brereton’s performance is harsh. Practically every pass to him was a safe one in to his feet, or just behind him, on the halfway line with his back to goal. He’s at his best when he’s running onto balls over the top or into the channels. Our play was nowhere near brave enough, it was the return of the laboured, incessant passing to feet. Playing Hedges encourages this. He’s slow and on his wrong foot so he’s always coming backwards. 

One thing Gallagher has done well in recent weeks has been coming deep to win flick-ons. This didn’t happen once on Friday through no fault of his, it was because we barely varied our play at all.

That doesn’t excuse the rest of Gallagher’s dreadful performance though, and I’d be reluctant to start him despite the lack of options, same goes for Hedges. Surely now the penny must have dropped regarding Morton. I’d give Brittain a start and play JRC in front of him, that’s more to do with our lack of options tomorrow than anything Brittain has done - he’s been disappointing overall.

So BBD didn't look shattered after 10 mins or didn't make one run in behind their right back first half? 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So BBD didn't look shattered after 10 mins or didn't make one run in behind their right back first half? 

No, I don’t think he looked noticeably shattered. After their goal he was reasonably lively, but Pickering, Hyam and Morton’s first touch always seemed to take them back towards our own goal. He took up a number of more advanced, central positions when Szmodics sat in for him, but again the passes were sideways at best. At one point he came deep and picked the ball up in our box, strode out and played a through ball to Morton that he didn’t quite have the legs (or maybe desire) to get on to. On about 20 minutes he had tracked back far enough to cut out a loose pass about 20 yards away from goal and pass back to Pears when nobody else was bothering to do what should’ve been a central midfielders job. He also made a good few runs into their box when the ball was on the right, but the only time Hedges put an early cross in it was very deep and he got under it.

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Gallagher actively runs away from the ball in the box. If we play a ball into the near-post he's at the far post. If we play a ball into the far post he's at the near post. If we roll one across the 6 yard box, he's on the 18 yard line.

It's genuinely uncanny.

In a weird way, it's actually quite impressive how he's literally always in the wrong place. I'm not sure how he manages it.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

No, I don’t think he looked noticeably shattered. After their goal he was reasonably lively, but Pickering, Hyam and Morton’s first touch always seemed to take them back towards our own goal. He took up a number of more advanced, central positions when Szmodics sat in for him, but again the passes were sideways at best. At one point he came deep and picked the ball up in our box, strode out and played a through ball to Morton that he didn’t quite have the legs (or maybe desire) to get on to. On about 20 minutes he had tracked back far enough to cut out a loose pass about 20 yards away from goal and pass back to Pears when nobody else was bothering to do what should’ve been a central midfielders job. He also made a good few runs into their box when the ball was on the right, but the only time Hedges put an early cross in it was very deep and he got under it.

Fair enough if that your view. I thought he was shattered after 10 mins and very poor

I'd be ringing in a few changes. Just get some players in who will be chomping at the bit. Kaminski for Pears, Brittain for JRC, Wharton for Morton, Leonard for Gallagher. 

Not all those players necessarily deserve to be dropped, but mixing it up when results aren't going in your favour is no bad thing. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough if that your view. I thought he was shattered after 10 mins and very poor

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he had a good game, nobody really did, but I think we have far bigger issues than Brereton.

20 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he had a good game, nobody really did, but I think we have far bigger issues than Brereton.

I thought Szmodics was our best player by far. 

What are these bigger issues if you want to elaborate on here?

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Gallagher was even more pathetic yet u won't criticise him

Not for me but yet again no surprised to see you hammering Gallagher again. Same stuff different day from you. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought Szmodics was our best player by far. 

What are these bigger issues if you want to elaborate on here?

Not for me but yet again no surprised to see you hammering Gallagher again. Same stuff different day from you. 

Morton and Gallagher are massive problems for us at the moment. We have several better options than Morton and continually playing him is costing us. I’m not generally as down on Gallagher as many in here are, but he is far from prolific at his best. Right now he is in dreadful form and therefore pretty useless.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

You’d think ‘blind luck’ would get you in the right positions sometimes.

he does occasionally get in a goal scoring position,but then his finishing lets him down and his heading ability for a big lad of 6"3 is terrible,i don`t want to get to critical of gallagher because he works hard but just has`nt got that goalscoring instinct,we definately need to get someone in next season