BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

12 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Hope so. He was our best player again against PNE.

His third start in 6 days, against the best side in the league, will be a real test of his stamina that some posters have claimed isn't up to standard yet. He hasn't played a lot of games at this level to build his match fitness up either. I'll not be surprised if he starts looking leggy around 60 minutes, especially with the effort he's likely to put in against this lot. Hopefully that's enough!

• Like 2

There was an interview with Wharton the other day and part of it mentioned him playing in a deeper role. At one point he laughed about enjoying it because it meant he didn't have to run as much as its not one of the main pressing roles in the team.

Hopefully it means his stamina will be up to it tonight, though personally I'd love to see him a little higher up the pitch as he's by far our most creative player.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

There was an interview with Wharton the other day and part of it mentioned him playing in a deeper role. At one point he laughed about enjoying it because it meant he didn't have to run as much as its not one of the main pressing roles in the team.

Hopefully it means his stamina will be up to it tonight, though personally I'd love to see him a little higher up the pitch as he's by far our most creative player.

Got a link to the interview?

The lad is absolute quality, another stellar performance from him tonight where he was head and shoulders the best midfielder on show. 

It's looking a bigger and bigger mistake JDT snubbing him for large parts of the season as I believe he'd have been worth at least half a dozen more points this season.

• Like 9

All this Newcastle talk is rubbish. Lads under contract until 2027. They’re not going to offer what he’s worth, or allow him to develop with match experience.  

just like all the Celtic and Notts links to Dolan. Never going to happen.  Not only will they never offer what their worth it’s not worth it to us. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SBlue said:

Did look shot at in the last 5 or 10 minutes, but I’m not surprised - he was everywhere.

Potential to be world class.

I thought he looked tired to me with about twenty minutes to go but then he got a second wind for the latter stages. When we committed everyone forward at the death he was the one sprinting back and his presence forced the Dingle to shoot from a wide position I thought.

His potential is frightening.

• Like 2

Game on game Wharton is getting better. He was by far the best player on the pitch tonight though he did fade in the last 20 minutes. 

Could you imagine if next season we sign a quality midfield partner for him. I know we'd have been less likely to see minutes from Wharton this season, but a midfield pairing of Wharton and O'brien would be untouchable. 

Not only because of his potential and because he's a Rovers fan, we cannot sell. Simply because its not just potential, he is head and shoulders above everyone else right now, to the point whereby he has the ability to fire us to promotion next year. X factor players do not come along in this division very often, so it makes this summer even more important. Give him a proper supporting cast and he'll take us up. 

An entire new front 3 is required. I'd also like to see a quality centre midfielder to pair him with. Buckley and Travis can step in as squad players or if we want 3 in midfield. Wharton, an O'brien type player, and some genuine attacking options and we'll be knocking on the door for top two.

I'm sure he's a future England International, the jewel in our crown and our ticket out of this blasted league.

• Like 3

He was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch last night it was ridiculous. Not for the first time either.

Freezing him out for so long has cost us badly. We’d be comfortably in the playoffs if he’d played anywhere near the amount of minutes Morton has.

• Like 2

On 24/04/2023 at 05:29, philipl said:

I am certain the plan is not to sell either Adam or Ash this summer.

That isn't to say a silly money offer would be refused but it would be beyond daft to plan to sell either this year. Broughton talks about creating value ie maximising. Not a car boot sale of future worldies.

Dortmund paid £25m for Bellingham as a 17 year old in 2020.

That is the yard stick for any offers this sumer.

I hope it isn't. I hope if they do want to sell him, and he wants to move, that bidding starts closer to £50m. He'll be worth that and more in a year or two of playing regular football. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

He was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch last night it was ridiculous. Not for the first time either.

Freezing him out for so long has cost us badly. We’d be comfortably in the playoffs if he’d played anywhere near the amount of minutes Morton has.

He’s good but he was never going to score the goals required as well. Rovers currently have the worst set of attacking players I’ve ever seen in a Rovers squad.

• Like 3

With his back to the Dingle players when receiving the ball I kept anticipating they would catch him out eventually. It never happened and he either shrugged them off or dropped his shoulder and sent them for a hot-dog.

He’s a special talent and I hope this form continues!

• Like 2

Even with players 2 yards away from him he seems to have all the time in the world to play a pass and a good one at that. I've not had excitement about a player for a long time but I'm looking forward to building a team around him next year. 

• Like 2

It’s his bravery for me. Always willing to have the ball in difficult areas/no space, always looking for a positive pass, even if it’s much riskier than the standard five yard pass to the defence that aids your completion stats.

A Rolls-Royce of a player at 18.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I said exactly this to the guy sitting next to me last night. It's got to the point where I don't even bother shouting "man on" anymore as he just seems to know where absolutely everybody is on the pitch!

During the WC, I heard Gary Lineker make a comment about Lionel Messi seemingly having an aerial view of the pitch in his head all the time. Now, I'm not comparing AW to Messi (not yet anyway!😜😄) but he does seem to have an element of this kind of spatial awareness going on. I bet a few of us have also gone "who the f*ck is that t....oh, great ball Adam"

I just hope we get next season out of him before the vultures swoop as they're already starting to circle. You never know, with promotion we may hang on a bit longer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 4

On Wharton’s display, he (JDT) said: “He was the best player in the game.

“The boy he gets things right, on the ball, off the ball, and that’s great to see.

“I’m happy to see that development Adam has made this season.

“If you do the right things in training, and keep doing the right things, you will get chances.

“It’s also important that a young lad shouldn’t go down and (start) doing the wrong things.

“Everything is possible for the boy if he does the right things.”

• Like 1