BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

1 minute ago, Spankus Munky said:

7, and you cant be counting Travis as academy player he is 25 and has well over 200 career appearences! was Scholes an academy player when he was 35 playing for Man Utd? So really 6 total, not terrible considering one was also a Keeper who was only in due to circumstances and is usually 3rd choice.

Yes, Scholes was a Manchester United Academy player. He'd have cost an absolute fortune to buy. 

48 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I feel really sorry for him - he's the best manager we've had since being relegated from the PL and he simply hasn't been backed.

We play some lovely football and a good number of players have improved dramatically under his guidance - I'll be sad to see him go in the summer.

As MP said, he was well backed in summer, he's probably entitled to feel extremely aggrieved about the incompetence of Broughton and Co in January though.

Which players do you think have improved dramatically under him? I'd say only really JRC and in devil's advocate mode I'd say Kaminsky, Scott Wharton, Buckley, Travis Dack and Gallagher have regressed considerably under him although of course Gallagher was never any good to begin with.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at Farke time at Norwich as I said at the time of JDT appointment he needed and should be given. 

Give him a quality striker and O'Brien things would be very different I would hope in the last 8 games

For me our squad is very different to last season with JRC, Carter, Hyam, Wharton, Szmodics all key players for us going forwards and not here or part of Mowbray squad. 

Players learn from disappointed and use it as motivation for next season like Souness probably did when City won promotion on our ground on the last of the season and celebrate, Souness used that as Motivation for the squad and we got promotion the season after. Do you learn and improve in your job when you made mistakes or learn next ways of doing the job in whatever you do job wise?  

That's were we need more quality in forwards areas. 

We play possession based football and as you seen today we some neat and tidy football today in the first half. 

If you were the manager/head coach what type of football would you want your team to play? 

How can you proclaim this as a season of improvement when at best we will match last seasons points tally? Throw all the intangibles and buzzwords you want at me, we haven't improved on results and points.

We aren't Norwich. But even in your make belief world where we sell Wharton for a gigantic fee, which is a huge if, he has played a dozen games. Where is the evidence of us being a club run in a way where we re invest and build a new team? I dont know where you have been for the last 12 years.

I would understand this project and building for a better next season narrative more if we had been mid table and things had started to build more in recent weeks. But quite the opposite. We haven't won in 8 or 9 games, we have regressed! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It’s been an implosion of epic proportions. Five points out of 24 (?), barely believeable when we were so well placed. I’m bitterly disappointed. How people can say it’s been a successful season and they’ve enjoyed when it’s ended so badly is beyond me

I’m also struggling with the idea of it being an enjoyable season too. The events of Tuesday night will haunt me for a long time.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I would understand this project and building for a better next season narrative more if we had been mid table and things had started to build more in recent weeks. But quite the opposite. We haven't won in 8 or 9 games, we have regressed! 

My view is that I’d understand the project/building if we had any sort of pot to piss in. 
Similar to last year we have to take these opportunities as it could always be a relegation scrap next year with our owners/board/squad. 

I must admit, it hurt me more last year, automatics were an actual possibility in the new year and we looked like we could beat anybody at one point. 
This year, everything suggested we weren’t a top 6 team (“but we’re in 4th?”) and eventually we regressed to the mean (a 10th-ish placed side)

• Like 1

Just now, BigBar said:

Are you privvy to inside info or is this just based off hearsay? Natively enough I think we will spend in the summer...there was funds there in January it appears.

If I remember correctly Madame Desai said we were to rely on the academy more, and it's pretty obvious that's what we're doing. So I'm just going off what's out there on that one.

With the other stuff I was told something during the game by an insider, regarding next years plans and it confirmed what JDT said about loans and freebies and that we were allowing certain players to speak to clubs. If true then the project is another sham and most supporters will be absolutely appalled. If it is true then I'm sure the usual journo's will already know about it and it'll be reported soon.

Btw, the last time I was "in the know" was back in the early days of Venkys ownership, and I realised then I wanted to be plugged back into the matrix. So no, I'm definitely not "in the know" these days. I'd rather be blissfully unaware at the behind the scenes antics at Rovers. The shambles in January pales in comparison to the Kean and Shaw days.

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yes, Scholes was a Manchester United Academy player. He'd have cost an absolute fortune to buy. 

Ok so Man Utd dominating the 90's into 2000's with G.Neville, P.Neville, Butt, Scholes, Butt & Beckham with the best will in the world you can't expect a title push with an Academy propping up the First XI like that... Sounds a little stupid no?

• Like 1

The thing is at the end of last season we knew that if the manager stayed it would be a repeat again the next season and the season after that. He'd proven he couldn't and wouldn't learn or adapt and would keep on making the same mistakes every year.

With JDT he's inherited the Mowbray mentality here and we've outperformed Mowbray's best this season (tail off play-off push but at least with 2 good cup runs on the side).

I've seen enough to believe JDT deserves a chance to see if he can better it moving forwards. Unfortunately the Club has done its level best to torpedo our chance at promotion and this will probably see us looking for a new manager in the near future.

I'd certainly rather have Broughton, having appointed JDT, leading that search rather than Waggott or the same people who gave us Owen Coyle.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, booth said:

With the other stuff I was told something during the game by an insider, regarding next years plans and it confirmed what JDT said about loans and freebies and that we were allowing certain players to speak to clubs. If true then the project is another sham and most supporters will be absolutely appalled. If it is true then I'm sure the usual journo's will already know about it and it'll be reported soon.

If this is Adam Wharton or Ash Phillips then I want Waggot and Broughton’s head on a stick and then I want to use that stick to beat the living daylight out of anyone in the Rao family.

Shame on you with your heads in the sand (admittedly not many of this forum)

Edited by superniko
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at Farke time at Norwich as I said at the time of JDT appointment he needed and should be given. 

Give him a quality striker and O'Brien things would be very different I would hope in the last 8 games

For me our squad is very different to last season with JRC, Carter, Hyam, Wharton, Szmodics all key players for us going forwards and not here or part of Mowbray squad. 

Players learn from disappointed and use it as motivation for next season like Souness probably did when City won promotion on our ground on the last of the season and celebrate, Souness used that as Motivation for the squad and we got promotion the season after. Do you learn and improve in your job when you made mistakes or learn next ways of doing the job in whatever you do job wise?  

That's were we need more quality in forwards areas. 

We play possession based football and as you seen today we some neat and tidy football today in the first half. 

If you were the manager/head coach what type of football would you want your team to play? 

Football that creates chances

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As MP said, he was well backed in summer, he's probably entitled to feel extremely aggrieved about the incompetence of Broughton and Co in January though.

Which players do you think have improved dramatically under him? I'd say only really JRC and in devil's advocate mode I'd say Kaminsky, Scott Wharton, Buckley, Travis Dack and Gallagher have regressed considerably under him although of course Gallagher was never any good to begin with.

Kaminski was our player of the season pre-injury. Buckley has come on leaps and bounds, so have JRC, Carter, Pickering, Travis and Pears to name a few.

Dack is finished I'm afraid and you're just polishing a turd with Gallagher - although we do miss him when he's not in the side. 

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Ok so Man Utd dominating the 90's into 2000's with G.Neville, P.Neville, Butt, Scholes, Butt & Beckham with the best will in the world you can't expect a title push with an Academy propping up the First XI like that... Sounds a little stupid no?

They made a documentary about that class because it was so abnormal - and they still backed it with millions and millions of pounds. 

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

If this is Adam Wharton or Ash Phillips then I want Waggot and Broughton’s head on a stick and then I want to use that stick to beat the living daylight out of anyone in the Rao family.

I’ve seen people elsewhere advocating selling them, even going as far as saying it would be “exciting” due to some naive misapprehension it would give us money to spend. It’s probably the same people still maintain we got a good deal for Raya. They obviously play far too much football manager.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Probably ,Kaminsky ,Dack ,Ayala and Adam Wharton to leave ..Wharton possibly loaned back .Venkys will be rubbing their hands with glee !

Aye.

The project is bullshit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, superniko said:

"Certain players" indicates plural so it could be both.

Waggott and nomark Broughton will be capable well capable of pulling that stunt.

Project Bollocks.

• Like 2

Just now, Miller11 said:

I’ve seen people elsewhere advocating selling them, even going as far as saying it would be “exciting” due to some naive misapprehension it would give us money to spend. It’s probably the same people still maintain we got a good deal for Raya. They obviously play far too much football manager.

Yeah - obviously they’ve not been very mentally aware of the last 12 years.

Imagine getting 10 games out of Wharton then selling him to some Crystal Palace type and being happy about a few mill to pay off Venkys debt. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It’s been an implosion of epic proportions. Five points out of 24 (?), barely believeable when we were so well placed. I’m bitterly disappointed. How people can say it’s been a successful season and they’ve enjoyed when it’s ended so badly is beyond me

Mainly because when we started the season I thought we'd get relegated. 

We're playing some great stuff now, after grinding out wins at the start of the season.