BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

22 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Advantage City - FFS anyone but them

Disagree. Greed made the Premier League a glass ceiling environment. They reap what they sow. Delighted the more predictable 1 team race it becomes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Disagree. Greed made the Premier League a glass ceiling environment. They reap what they sow. Delighted the more predictable 1 team race it becomes. 

100%

For me it's still anyone but United.

I'll throw Newcastle and spurs into that category as well. Both shit clubs that think they're bigger than they actually are.

Can City still do the double treble?

The more they win the more of a farce the whole game becomes.

Lol at City getting knocked out by Madrid. Thank god the talk of back to back champions leagues and double trebles is over. 

Liverpool surrendered to atalanta. That was so far removed from peek klopp Liverpool I'm flabbergasted. Shocking lack of urgency and deserve to crash out. 

It's should be just the Champions of each of country in the champions league with it being knockout format from the start like the 70's and 80's. The clubs from small playing nations in the champions league faced a massive disadvantage year after year. Teams like Legia Warsaw and BSC Young Boys are always at disadvantage 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that if they made it Champions only, it would massively dilute the quality of the Champions League. The knockout stages tend to provide brilliant entertainment and that might not be the case if you made it one team per country.

Why does that matter? It will just make the uefa cup or whatever its called now, stronger, like it was in the 90s

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that if they made it Champions only, it would massively dilute the quality of the Champions League. The knockout stages tend to provide brilliant entertainment and that might not be the case if you made it one team per country.

Actually a lot of the leagues around Europe have been made massively weak since the changes to the format were made.

We also lost the cup winners cup that was the second most prestigious European competition.

Between the F.A. and UEFA they have totally destroyed the game and rid any chance of actual competition from it.

The champions league and premier league were set up in such a way that only the biggest and wealthiest clubs would stand a chance of winning them. That's why it was such an affront to them that Blackburn Rovers not only won the league but did so by beating them at their own game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Why does that matter? It will just make the uefa cup or whatever its called now, stronger, like it was in the 90s

I remember UEFA cup on Tuesday, Champions league on Wednesday and cup winners cup on a Thursday 

• Like 4

The PL, the best league in the world, or so the propaganda says.

After the quarterfinal stage of all the European completions it's just Villa left, and that's in the lowest level Conference.

Just maybe you ain't as good as you'd like us to believe you are.

Last night Villa got lucky, Liverpool were shite, and if I watch WHU I would question my sanity.

City and Arsenal, good riddance you boring, boring tippy tappers.

• Like 1

Calling something 'the best' is subjective at best, and in the case of Sky and the PL, is done purely as a marketing exercise for the gullible.

I don't watch any PL football at all, mainly because it's on Sky, who in conjunction with the PL and FA, have ruined football for the average punter.

For my non-Rovers football fix, I subscribe to La Liga TV for £8 a month which gives plenty of live matches.  The Spanish game is totally different to what we're used to, but can be just as exciting in it's own way IMO. It's El Classico on Sunday night.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's should be just the Champions of each of country in the champions league with it being knockout format from the start like the 70's and 80's. The clubs from small playing nations in the champions league faced a massive disadvantage year after year. Teams like Legia Warsaw and BSC Young Boys are always at disadvantage 

Shouldn't bother you , you don't have btsport .

• Like 1

CI never thought that I would see empathy towards Legia Warsaw and Young Boys.

I get the argument about making the strong stronger, but I think the quality of the Champions League is stronger with a few teams from the top countries. The entertainment value has been brilliant from it in recent years, and I think that it would take away from that if it was only one of the Prem/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga etc in every season.

Because it’s the same elite teams year after year getting richer and richer, so of course a Legia Warsaw can’t compete and offer the same level of entertainment, a super league in all but name.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I get the argument about making the strong stronger, but I think the quality of the Champions League is stronger with a few teams from the top countries. The entertainment value has been brilliant from it in recent years, and I think that it would take away from that if it was only one of the Prem/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga etc in every season.

entertaining,really,i think it`s boring,a closed shop devoid of any unpredictability,uefa need to get their act together and just have one massive knock out,champions,second place and cup winners only and no seeding

thats just me being a fan and not a money counter,id`e like nothing better to see real madrid knocked out by panathanaikos or man city humbled by ifk gothenberg,like the good old days,steau bucharest for the cup😁

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If those teams played regularly in the champions league, they’d absolutely improve, playing against better teams. 

It just can’t be right that teams can be the literal champions, but have to qualify.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ABBEY said:

Shouldn't bother you , you don't have btsport .

Had the same opinion for years well before TNT Sports had the UEFA TV rights. 👍

12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If those teams played regularly in the champions league, they’d absolutely improve, playing against better teams. 

It just can’t be right that teams can be the literal champions, but have to qualify.

also attract better players by reaching further in the competition meaning more money for them

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

entertaining,really,i think it`s boring,a closed shop devoid of any unpredictability,uefa need to get their act together and just have one massive knock out,champions,second place and cup winners only and no seeding

thats just me being a fan and not a money counter,id`e like nothing better to see real madrid knocked out by panathanaikos or man city humbled by ifk gothenberg,like the good old days,steau bucharest for the cup😁

Very entertaining. Id have the first leg of Real Madrid v City as probably the most entertaining game of the season.

Put these clubs in order of which you’d currently prefer to win the PL. (These are in my order)

Arsenal

Chelsea

Newcastle

Liverpool

Man U

City

Spuds

Edited by Hasta

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tell you what I give you a load of stick when I think you are wrong but think you are spot on on this one. 

Incidentally my first football game on the computer (Amiga which shows my age) had a European super league mode. Interestingly no more than 2 teams per league and there were a lot of good European teams who wouldn't get near the CL quarters now - Malmo, Bordeux and Benfica to name three. 

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Tell you what I give you a load of stick when I think you are wrong but think you are spot on on this one. 

Incidentally my first football game on the computer (Amiga which shows my age) had a European super league mode. Interestingly no more than 2 teams per league and there were a lot of good European teams who wouldn't get near the CL quarters now - Malmo, Bordeux and Benfica to name three. 

Benfica got into the quarter finals last season and the season before I think.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Honestly I'm not sure they would just look at Celtic as an example as that. If anything the gap just gets wider because what happens when a side has a good season their team is raided by those richer clubs, Celtic's best player in the Champions League last season was Jota as soon as Saudi money came in for him this summer he was gone. 

Outside of the so called Premier League 'big 6', Barca, Real, Bayern & PSG the rest of Europe cannot compete for any sustained period. The rest of Europe is simply developing players for them to buy at overinflated prices in a market that those 10 club especially have overinflated.

Take Porto (probably the last real surprise winners) after 2004, their manager and best two defenders went straight to Chelsea and their best player in Deco went to Barcelona. Look at Ajax a club who previously produced the finest team that I have ever seen they have had 1 decent season in the Champions League in years and not long after it its best 3 young Dutch players in De Jong, Van De Beek and Di Ligt all moved on and Ajax have done nothing in the Champions League since. Monaco made the semis in 2017 then in the summer they lost Bernardo Silva, Mbappe, Mendy & Bakayoko, followed Fabinho, Lemar & Moutinho the next summer.

21 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Put these clubs in order of which you’d currently prefer to win the PL. (These are in my order)

Arsenal

Chelsea

Newcastle

Liverpool

Man U

City

Spuds

Man Utd

Arsenal 

Chelsea

Liverpool (Once Klopp Leaves)

Man City