BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

A lot of people have got into this malaise about our ability to beat certain teams . Rotherham finished 19th last season, 19 points behind us. West Brom are one of the more difficult teams we will face this season and we overcame that hurdle. Have a little more faith in our team people, we are better than you think. ( Off to finish my joint and bottle of vodka 😜)

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

A lot of people have got into this malaise about our ability to beat certain teams . Rotherham finished 19th last season, 19 points behind us.

They also pummeled us 4-0 in this fixture last year whilst finishing 19th. That might be a bit to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Could be wrong, its only been two games, but think goal scoring may be less of an issue for us already. Compared to start of last season we get so many players forward now (6 to 8 into the final third every attack), and while Gallagher and BBD wanted to spend all their time fannying around near the touchlines Leonard and Ennis look keen to get in the box. We still need an established goal scoring striker, but I fancy us to score a couple on Saturday nonetheless.

I hope you’re right. 

We should be a different team this time round a lot more solid/structured. The 4-0 game Garrett and morton were the midfield 2. Travis and tronstad will sure that up. Vale dack hedges 3 infront of them lacks mobility add Dolan markanday and Sammie in there gives us a good press. Doesn’t guarantee anything but it’s a different team altogether than the last time we visited. I do agree though the height is still a concern wba under manager didn’t utilise that for them he was happy to play on the deck, I suspect Saturday will be different but certainly nothing to fear.

56 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

If Rovers are on the right track to be a promotion-chasing side, these are exactly the kinds of games we need to win. 

Rovers, 2-1. 

I agree with the sentiment, definitely, but the same could have been said at any point last season, especially ahead of what turned out to be a humbling reversal at Rotherham's sheep shagger stadium. We have to accept that this is a highly competitive league and that on the day, almost any team can beat any other, especially when factors such as stadium / fixture history / player mentality / team togetherness are taken into account. I mean, Luton Town got promoted by bullying the shite out of the opposition on a tiny pitch in a Darwen FC sized (and quality) stadium, ffs!

A win would be a marvellous return.

A draw would be a good result, away from home allowing for the above 'factors'

A narrow defeat wouldn't be the end of the world (young team, football's a funny old game, blah blah)

A repeat of last year's debacle is just NOT ACCEPTABLE under ANY circumstances. Bogey team, my arse.

COYB! You know what you have to do 😉

JDT BWA!

This is Rotherham we are playing. They play with intensity, aggression and get the ball into the penalty area as quickly as possible. Last season they knocked spots off us in nearly every aspect of the game so if we match their assets they simply don't have the wherewithal to match ours. Starting the game well normally sets the tone and last season we tanked from about thirty seconds in. 

I don't often do predictions given the variables involved but tomorrow I'm going for a win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

This is Rotherham we are playing. They play with intensity, aggression and get the ball into the penalty area as quickly as possible. Last season they knocked spots off us in nearly every aspect of the game so if we match their assets they simply don't have the wherewithal to match ours. Starting the game well normally sets the tone and last season we tanked from about thirty seconds in. 

I don't often do predictions given the variables involved but tomorrow I'm going for a win.

Totally agree with all of the first paragraph.

I now just don't ever do match result predictions about Rovers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

If Rotherham are such an incredible team, as you are suggesting, how come they only finished 19th last season. Basically, you are saying our defence/ midfield are not up to competing with them. Last season has gone, we are an improved side since that feck up. I know this league is unpredictable, but I think we are a good enough outfit even at this early stage to see these darksiders off. 

• Like 1

Last season, we played at Reading, Wigan Athletic, and Rotherham United on their good days. Those three stick out as awful rsults because they were all cannon fodder in the league, and we embarrassed ourselves with limp performances.

On the flip side, I feel like we've already played West Bromwich Albion at a good time. Their team is not as bad as their performance suggested.

That's the nature of this league and, in particular, Rovers. It's somewhat random as to what team can turn up, particularly away from home.

I'd love a win, but a draw would be OK. A defeat isn't the end of the world, provided we show some fight and guile, which would be a start when you consider our performance at Rotherham United last season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Last season, we played at Reading, Wigan Athletic, and Rotherham United on their good days. Those three stick out as awful results because they were all cannon fodder in the league, and we embarrassed ourselves with limp performances.

On the flip side, I feel like we've already played West Bromwich Albion at a good time. Their team is not as bad as their performance suggested.

That's the nature of this league and, in particular, Rovers. It's somewhat random as to what team can turn up, particularly away from home.

I'd love a win, but a draw would be OK. A defeat isn't the end of the world, provided we show some fight and guile, which would be a start when you consider our performance at Rotherham United last season.

Those defeats came when we played like drains. Wigan also played terribly making it all the more frustrating but Reading played out of their skins that night against us.

The challenge for JDT ball this season is for off days not to cost us a pasting this season but at worse a draw.  Let's take "Fortress Ewood" on the road with us.

• Like 3

1-3 Leonard, JRC and Hedges with the goals. Last season we went to Rotherham with Dack in the side and Vale  Hedges and Gallagher as the front 3? It was a horror show but they did score some long range, speculative, efforts. We finished the season a completely different side and have started this season strongly so against a weaker Rotherham (injuries, suspension and loss of players) I think we can win this.

Edited by robbojohnno

6 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

I agree with the sentiment, definitely, but the same could have been said at any point last season, especially ahead of what turned out to be a humbling reversal at Rotherham's sheep shagger stadium. We have to accept that this is a highly competitive league and that on the day, almost any team can beat any other, especially when factors such as stadium / fixture history / player mentality / team togetherness are taken into account. I mean, Luton Town got promoted by bullying the shite out of the opposition on a tiny pitch in a Darwen FC sized (and quality) stadium, ffs!

A win would be a marvellous return.

A draw would be a good result, away from home allowing for the above 'factors'

A narrow defeat wouldn't be the end of the world (young team, football's a funny old game, blah blah)

A repeat of last year's debacle is just NOT ACCEPTABLE under ANY circumstances. Bogey team, my arse.

COYB! You know what you have to do 😉

JDT BWA!

Sheep shagger stadium, lol, you do have a way with words! 😂

Well I can't. Watch the game on me telly, casting from me phone.  My joy at our win last Saturday was tempered Sat night/Sun morning when iur house burned down, lost pretty.much everything.  Everyone and the dog.got.out.unscathed.but.co.e Sunday morning all I had was.a.bathrobe and slippers which I was wearing.  I will just have.to.settle watching us on the small screen if me phone.

20230806_090445.jpg

20230806_083650.jpg

20230806_083638.jpg

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Well I can't. Watch the game on me telly, casting from me phone.  My joy at our win last Saturday was tempered Sat night/Sun morning when iur house burned down, lost pretty.much everything.  Everyone and the dog.got.out.unscathed.but.co.e Sunday morning all I had was.a.bathrobe and slippers which I was wearing.  I will just have.to.settle watching us on the small screen if me phone.

20230806_090445.jpg

20230806_083650.jpg

20230806_083638.jpg

Keep your chin up Blue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

20230806_090445.jpg

20230806_083650.jpg

20230806_083638.jpg

Wow, so sorry for what has happened. Glad everyone is safe, hope you get yourselves back on your feet soon. You just don’t know what’s around the corner, take care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

If Rotherham are such an incredible team, as you are suggesting, how come they only finished 19th last season. Basically, you are saying our defence/ midfield are not up to competing with them. Last season has gone, we are an improved side since that feck up. I know this league is unpredictable, but I think we are a good enough outfit even at this early stage to see these darksiders off. 

How on earth have I said they are an incredible team by simply highlighting their strengths? A touch of misguided hyperbole there.

Last season our whole team weren't capable of competing with them essentially because, as I mentioned we didn't do the basics and at the very least equal their strengths. We have played one game so far this season which was promising so I'm not sure how you can use that as a yardsick. 

I also said I think we will win by matching their strengths.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

Wow, so sorry for what has happened. Glad everyone is safe, hope you get yourselves back on your feet soon. You just don’t know what’s around the corner, take care. 

Looking like I don't have enough insurance either so we will see.

47 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

Not sure, but loads of people wrongly think its sold out because the website has been utter garbage all week.  Seen so many people asking for spare tickets on that basis.

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

How on earth have I said they are an incredible team by simply highlighting their strengths? A touch of misguided hyperbole there.

Last season our whole team weren't capable of competing with them essentially because, as I mentioned we didn't do the basics and at the very least equal their strengths. We have played one game so far this season which was promising so I'm not sure how you can use that as a yardsick. 

I also said I think we will win by matching their strengths.

You’ve got to fight for the right to play your football. It’s always been that way.

• Like 2