BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

5 hours ago, miqaayil said:

Its a paradox ... you can't have a solid financial footing and Ambition to be a Premier League Club... If ure a trading for survival model, than ure a producer ....you create players and sell them at thier prime or slightly before ...manage the team performance dip from selling them and await the next calf trying to be the prized bull. Yes it's the perfect model for championship club but never to PL. 

I've always said these nutjobs want us in championship but not L1 as its the sweet spot ... lesser media attention for thier shananigans ...i don't even belief this whole crap of indians courts ...venkys are magicians in money matters ...We are where they want us to be ...But as a Fan of BRFC i hope to god i'm wrong  

It's exactly what Brentford did - sans the Academy. Bought players low, sold them high and eventually accrued a strong enough squad to get promoted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You win games by putting teams to the sword when you're on top.

And you win leagues by having both.

Not disagreeing with you though. I've wanted us to sign a decent striker since Armstrong left and Sammie can't keep propping the team up.

49 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You win games by putting teams to the sword when you're on top.

I make us 9th in the league for goals scored and 2nd from bottom for goals conceded.

It's obvious which end of the pitch has the greatest need for improvement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I make us 9th in the league for goals scored and 2nd from bottom for goals conceded.

I'm not saying the defence is good, but we pile pressure on them by fluffing chances. The plan is clearly to come out of the blocks quickly and put the game to bed in the first 20 minutes.

We're often completely shattered from 70 mins onwards and regress into a siege mentality, inviting teams onto us. 

If we're 2-0 at that point, cos a CF scores the myriad of chances we create, then we easily see the game out rather than hanging on for a draw / letting them bully us for a loss (i.e. Watford). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm not saying the defence is good, but we pile pressure on them by fluffing chances. The plan is clearly to come out of the blocks quickly and put the game to bed in the first 20 minutes.

We're often completely shattered from 70 mins onwards and regress into a siege mentality, inviting teams onto us. 

If we're 2-0 at that point, cos a CF scores the myriad of chances we create, then we easily see the game out rather than hanging on for a draw / letting them bully us for a loss (i.e. Watford). 

We're seldom capable of being 2-0 at 70 mins because the defenders and keeper can't keep the opposition out. And it's a lot to ask to routinely put the game to bed at 20 minutes. One goal would be plenty, more often, if we could stop being the league's 2nd worst for conceding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The defence definitely needs reinforcing, but we still need a decent striker.

We are ridiculously dependent on a couple of players, (one especially) for goals.

If Szmodics gets injured we're going to be dire.

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's exactly what Brentford did - sans the Academy. Bought players low, sold them high and eventually accrued a strong enough squad to get promoted.

Brentford had a plan, led by their owner who has a brain and is invested in the club. He has used his skills to overcome their financial weakness and small fanbase to get them to the PL. This included investment - they paid up to £10 million for Ivan Toney as a Championship club - yet we are told we cannot do this ourselves.

So we are nowhere near and never will be near Brentford. Even if we got new owners we would struggle as they were so good at it but with Venkys making things up on a whim....never.

• Like 4

I like the ideal of Gelhardt as a player and think he fits JDTs style…but he’s not the goal scorer we’re after.

If Leonard is going I wouldn’t be surprised if Gelhardt is his replacement…Probably what Travis wages will be going towards as he won’t be cheap.

As Ennis and Telalovic have shown, we don't have the cash to buy a reliable Championship goal scoring striker. So we gambled on those two and it is no adverse reflection on the recruitment team the gambles haven't worked out yet. On the balance of probabilities, one or other of them will have a purple patch- with Ennis it is possibly behind him at Plymouth last season.

It is only 7 January and we are already two in, two out (or is it four in four our counting our junior loan recalls and sending outs). I suspect this month is going to be an exceptionally big jigsaw puzzle for January so I am not freaking out over stories of Leonard and Garret going out on loan much as I'd like to see them stay.

For what its worth, I think Hayden Carter will make a very useful PL central defender and is far more PL-ready than Adam Wharton.

My central prediction is there will be five first teamers in before the window closes which could rise as high as eight if the Carter rumours are true.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Brentford had a plan, led by their owner who has a brain and is invested in the club. He has used his skills to overcome their financial weakness and small fanbase to get them to the PL. This included investment - they paid up to £10 million for Ivan Toney as a Championship club - yet we are told we cannot do this ourselves.

So we are nowhere near and never will be near Brentford. Even if we got new owners we would struggle as they were so good at it but with Venkys making things up on a whim....never.

A lot more difficult to copy Brentford's model now after Brexit as well I believe. Some of the unknowns brought into that team wouldn't have qualified for a work permit these days, if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I agree with your general point about venkys I have zero faith they will get this new model right. However in the balance of fairness and accuracy Brentford spent 10m on Toney the summer they sold Watkins and Maupay for 50 plus million! Their net spend that summer was about 35m in profit. We are still selling players for 2.5m so hard to fully judge currently. 

Edited by Galgaterover10
  • Like 2

Someone somewhere has been trying to get Joe Gelhardt into Ewood for several years now.  Third party advice.....

Usually when no one else wants him, is he any better than Leonard and Vale ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Galgaterover10 said:

I agree with your general point about venkys I have zero faith they will get this new model right. However in the balance of fairness and accuracy Brentford spent 10m on Toney the summer they sold Watkins and Maupay for 50 plus million! Their net spend that summer was about 35m in profit. We are still selling players for 2.5m so hard to fully judge currently. 

anyone got nixons patreon? He’s but a story on today about us. 

Look seven posts above

Edited by joey_big_nose

3 minutes ago, Galgaterover10 said:

anyone got nixons patreon? He’s but a story on today about us. 

And when we sell it's to pay bills because of the awful ownership that despite chucking money in for losses continues to stifle the club from going anywhere.

If we sell a player for 10 million we'll be very lucky to ten percent of that reinvested and the immediate replacement would be a kid on loan.  

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Except their model had a completely different starting point and they didn't need 20 million a year just to sustain the Championship model they were already trying to run.

Total different dynamics to us i'm afraid that's why it will never work here unless we 

A. Go down first - i'm sure that's a consideration in Pune towers judging by what's going on.

B. Go bust first, get rid and start again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I like the ideal of Gelhardt as a player and think he fits JDTs style…but he’s not the goal scorer we’re after.

If Leonard is going I wouldn’t be surprised if Gelhardt is his replacement…Probably what Travis wages will be going towards as he won’t be cheap.

Didn't have a good time at Sunderland last season at all. Gelhardt is not an out and out striker from what I've seen. If he did come in I can't see him scoring more goals than Siggy, tbh.

The LT reckons there's nothing in it either

• Like 1