BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

8 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

Ennis signing was a shocking decision, Has had the longest pre mid season ever and still looks out of shape. Seen more mobility in a groundsman pushing the old pitch roller

It is completely and utterly unprofessional, I think the absolute base expectation of a fan is that a player is fit and looks after themselves to be available. 

He's been here for over half a year now, with trained fitness professionals. The fitness coaches could probably get somebody off the street into running marathons in that time frame if the individual was committed.

• Like 5

When Alan Nixon links Wharton away, it's usually met with a number of comments about how he knows nothing. He links Ennis away, which people wouldn't be too bothered about, and I don't think I've seen a single comment about how hopeless Nixon is. 

Just now, roverblue said:

I can't realistically see Ennis leaving given how threadbare our forward line is, even when Gallagher comes back its just a matter of time till he gets injured again.

Same goes for Ennis though!! Absolute joke.

Anyone else get Ben Gladwin or Anthony Stokes vibes with this Ennis thing ?

Agent gets him in on security of long contract when no one else would touch him, get him fit but doesn't get used for some reason. So he's loaned out then some club pays a few hundred grand for him whilst Rovers settle his contract to shift him on ?

That's another thing that seems to happen here every few years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, alex l said:

When Alan Nixon links Wharton away, it's usually met with a number of comments about how he knows nothing. He links Ennis away, which people wouldn't be too bothered about, and I don't think I've seen a single comment about how hopeless Nixon is. 

Simply because it's better to assume it's all BS from him but there are still things we hope are true and ones we hope aren't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agent gets him in on security of long contract when no one else would touch him, get him fit but doesn't get used for some reason. So he's loaned out then some club pays a few hundred grand for him whilst Rovers settle his contract to shift him on ?

Plymouth were desperate to keep him.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not really. And I'm not sure about this "no one else will touch him" bit either, I think most league 1 clubs and a good hand full of championship clubs would have liked him in the summer if we didn't gazzump them on wages

Signing him was a gamble though due to his fitness record and it's one that doesn't currently look like paying off! 

But yes giving him a long term contract was the ridiculous part, just hope he's only on a very modest salary in case we do need to pay him off

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So what lured him all the way up here ?

The 10k a week we offered that they wouldn't I'd imagine.

No way any club comes in for him and offers those sort of wages. Best we can hope is a loan away and whoever takes him pays a percentage.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

9 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I think most league 1 clubs and a good hand full of championship clubs would have liked him in the summer if we didn't gazzump them on wages

Blimey, if we were able to gazzump other clubs on wages, they can’t have been that bothered.

7 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Not really. And I'm not sure about this "no one else will touch him" bit either, I think most league 1 clubs and a good hand full of championship clubs would have liked him in the summer if we didn't gazzump them on wages

Signing him was a gamble though due to his fitness record and it's one that doesn't currently look like paying off! 

But yes giving him a long term contract was the ridiculous part, just hope he's only on a very modest salary in case we do need to pay him off

One look at his actual mins on the pitch over appearance stats told the story and if they were so desperate to keep him they didn't put up much of a fight.

Perhaps they actually knew he'd not cut it in the Championship but were happy to keep him on the same modest terms he was on. Then in step BRFC bizarrely offering 4 year deals to an unfit player with no pedigree in the Championship ?

And league 1 clubs who might have wanted him don't really come into the equation do they when a Champ club is dangling a 4 year contract.  No need for much wage gazumping there.

I just buy the 'gamble' bit when they offered that kind of contract it just doesn't make any sense, if you're gambling you offer a loan or short deal with a caveat for a better one if it works.  If you think you are on a winner or are desperate to secure a player you offer the security of a long contract.

• Like 1

Would be a good move to ship out Ennis on loan and then ship him out permanently in the summer. We need a complete overhaul in the attacking areas.

I can't remember us having a worst set of striking options. Gally, Ennis, Vale, Telalovic, Dolan, Leonard. That has to be the worst in many decades. We've always had really good strikers at our club. Even in league 1 we had Danny Graham and Armstrong.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

The 10k a week we offered that they wouldn't I'd imagine.

No way any club comes in for him and offers those sort of wages. Best we can hope is a loan away and whoever takes him pays a percentage.

So they've committed 2 million quid to the deal of this lad ?

That's way to insane to be true unless there is something very wrong about it all.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

So they've committed 2 million quid to the deal of this lad ?

That's way to insane to be true unless there is something very wrong about it all.

Come now, tomphil, we all know everything’s tickety boo since we changed the structure and have Broughton as DOF 😉

This one in, one out wouldnt  be so bad if we could  shift some of the dross.

Buying more dross on long(not short)contracts hugely problematic!!

Its pointless having a larger squad if the players you bring in are very poor.

Makes the Academy and an over-reliance on Brighton loans the only positive aspect. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So what lured him all the way up here ?

We offered him more money (although not significantly so) and we're much closer to the West Midlands where he's from. Apparently he's a bit of a homebody.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Would be a good move to ship out Ennis on loan and then ship him out permanently in the summer. We need a complete overhaul in the attacking areas.

I can't remember us having a worst set of striking options. Gally, Ennis, Vale, Telalovic, Dolan, Leonard. That has to be the worst in many decades. We've always had really good strikers at our club. Even in league 1 we had Danny Graham and Armstrong.

If we are including Dolan as a striker, which isn't his real role, we have to include Szmodics, who I'm quite sure has played there more times and is smashing this league.

Edited by bluebruce

40 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If we are including Dolan as a striker, which isn't his real role, we have to include Szmodics, who I'm quite sure has played there more times and is smashing this league.

If you look at our results with and without Dolan as a central striker this season, starting with the away win at QPR (6 wins in 8 )and since his injury (1 win in 8), maybe Dolan is a central striker?  Or at the very least maybe he offers something when playing in that role that brings out better in our other forward players?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tyrhys-dolan/leistungsdaten/spieler/647435

I remember seeing stats on similar fluctuations in win ratios with and without Gally in the team last season (unless my mind is playing tricks on me), and one thing they both offer is work rate (if not bags of goals). 

Maybe JDT should have tried Travis as a non scoring, hard working central striker after Dolans injury? 😉 

Edited by KentExile