BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

We know how money works with this lot. Even if we get £20m the argument is that the money will have to cover the wages and fee over the 4 years of the deal. They’ll convince us that we are lucky to be given a new £2m pound signing. 

In a normal club with all money reinvested then it could make sense. Here, knowing we’ll get a fraction of the money then it makes no sense to sell now.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Newcastle are surely the right Club for him -if they're interested/FFP allow.

Personally I'd rather he went to non-league before signing for Newcastle.

As good as I think Wharton could be, I assume they would have their sights set higher than Wharton. As you say FFP might scupper that anyway, as they are (supposedly) on the limit (although looks like they are selling Almerion to a Saudi Arabian team)

I think Palace are trying to get this tied up before other clubs come in, like Newcastle etc.

If he signs for Palace, as crap as it sounds, he could use them as a springboard to a bigger club.

• Like 2

Am I missing something or have we not signed a player and rejected a club record bid since the court date was pushed back? 

I don’t think Wharton should be sold at any cost and I don’t think we will see a reinvestment, I think next season he is worth double what he is now. But also talks of the lights going of and administration seems a little far fetched from what’s actually happening at the minute.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Am I missing something or have we not signed a player and rejected a club record bid since the court date was pushed back? 

I don’t think Wharton should be sold at any cost and I don’t think we will see a reinvestment, I think next season he is worth double what he is now. But also talks of the lights going of and administration seems a little far fetched from what’s actually happening at the minute.

I like your style and that would be my stance on Wharton also in ideal circumstances.

Let's hope you're right on both counts!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Personally I'd rather he went to non-league before signing for Newcastle.

As good as I think Wharton could be, I assume they would have their sights set higher than Wharton. As you say FFP might scupper that anyway, as they are (supposedly) on the limit (although looks like they are selling Almerion to a Saudi Arabian team)

I think Palace are trying to get this tied up before other clubs come in, like Newcastle etc.

If he signs for Palace, as crap as it sounds, he could use them as a springboard to a bigger club.

As others have said, Wharton is more likely to be given a decent chance of first team football at Palace.

If he goes to Newcastle, (or another bigger club), he will likely rot in the reserves and get loaned back to the Championship.

For all those people knocking Palace, (and yes, I was there in ‘89), we would do anything to be in their shoes.

2 hours ago, alcd said:

This summer is too late to get the profit into the 23/24 accounts. The last big sale was Armstrong which went into the 21/22 accounts. Big losses in 22/23 and this season 23/24 so next summer 2025 would be too late unless sold before the end of the accounting period - a factor that buyers would use to their advantage. 

Ah, didn't realise. Thanks for the info :).

In that case if Palace can come up with a bigger offer as is being reported then the sale may happen this month anyway.

The owners must be loving this - developing young players and selling them on for a good fee is their business model to perfection and vindication for carrying on in the same way

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

The owners must be loving this - developing young players and selling them on for a good fee is their business model to perfection and vindication for carrying on in the same way

"Develop players and stay in the league."

Literally the club's ambitions as stated by our CEO.

• Like 3

Think of the brownie points Waggott will get himself if this one comes off. He'll be popular in India when they realise that the next couple of years of the circus are effectively paid for up front. Bonus time as he nudges up season ticket prices yet again?

• Like 1

Less than 18 months since I saw him make his debut at Blackpool. I really want the lad to stay but this is Blackburn Rovers 2024, he loves the club but aside from that what football or financial incentive is there for him to stay. This is what Venkys and Swag have done to our once proud club.

41 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Do you think the owners even know who’s in the team?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

We all know how this ends the negotiations will last till deadline day and he will complete the deal at 23:59 giving us no time to spend any of the money 

The club will announce Finneran has signed pro terms with Broughton signing off by saying the sale of Wharton had opened a pathway for Finneran 

He’s too young for that - I doubt that would stop our lot trying to though.

3 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Hopefully someone sabotages the deal our end. Mess up the forms again so the transfer gets rejected. Then watch venkys and waggot squirm without their 20million

Or Adam Wharton refuses to go. He will get a better deal in the summer.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Hopefully someone sabotages the deal our end. Mess up the forms again so the transfer gets rejected. Then watch venkys and waggot squirm without their 20million

As with the Markanday loan deal which miraculously went through on the same night two incoming deals failed, out going deals seem to sail through no problem!

• Like 3

Fundamentally, if 75% of the money was to be reinvested in the playing staff, selling him is the right call (for the right fee) under the "trading model". We'd be much better served signing proper strikers/goalkeepers.

However, we know the whole amount will be pocketed to cover losses and just signal the further dismantling of our club as we continue the slow, painful slide to League 1.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pick32 said:

To some people, turning down a bid of £18.5m is actually a sign that Venky’s are deliberately trying to sell him to avoid transferring funds from India…

I think it’s clear that we’re not actively trying to sell him but if the money gets high enough then of course he has a price tag. 

1 minute ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

If Wharton is sold at c.£20m it proves the model of buying, developing young talent selling high works.

In my view for it to work properly at least 20% of that has to be re invested into the team.

It only "works" if any proceeds are invested wisely and it results in an improvement in League position.

If it results in relegation I'd say that counts as a failure irrespective of a healthier bank balance.

• Like 4