BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

I will hold on hope to, a couple of cheap stop gap options now, keep us in the league, then splurge in the summer and build a promotion squad. Sadly we all know it will only be the first part that comes true

If we sign these 2 and then go on and sign at least 2 more for fees on top, then fine. Thats the key. If we dont invest in a Wharton replacement and stick with just Garrett every week then we are asking for trouble. Badly need some pace too and we dont have any cover for JRC at the moment with Brittain out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

I think we need a few players in yes 100%... 

But..

Just a  thought on not going mad today / tomorrow and becoming desperate because:

1.  We have some players coming back.

2.  We get a stop gap (the old guy).

3.  Unless we go really pete tongue it's unlikely we are going to get relegated or push for play offs.

We may as well take a sensible approach (I know) and recruit properly in the summer.  We all know January desperation moves often don't work out.

Just a thought..  

The worry is will we get funds in the summer?

I'd assume that Travis will be sold, Gallgher will be off the books, Szmodics will be a wanted man and i can see Carter being sold also. You would like to think we will have some sort of budget but you just don't know with these lot. 

GB needs to be clear in his next interview and re-assure us.

• Like 1

I understand the McFadzean thing. Will have had endorsement from Hyam, short term deal to cover Carter and help bed O’riordan in. Awe don’t need another long term contracted cb. We need a short term, steady hand. 

I also don’t expect us to spend a fortune but after losing our best player for a record fee I do expect something like this..

Mcguire - 2.5m 

mcfadzean - Loan

Yates - Loan

CM - PURCHASE

lets see…

• Like 4

JDT said this week that he’s wanted to play a back three but the injuries have prevented him from doing so.

Coventry fans have stated that when they moved to a back four, McFadzean was dropped, with the system not suiting him

So we could be moving to a regular back three? Or if we’re holding onto a lead, he’s chucked on with 10/15 mins left to see the game out?

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I understand the McFadzean thing. Will have had endorsement from Hyam, short term deal to cover Carter and help bed O’riordan in. Awe don’t need another long term contracted cb. We need a short term, steady hand. 

I also don’t expect us to spend a fortune but after losing our best player for a record fee I do expect something like this..

Mcguire - 2.5m 

mcfadzean - Loan

Yates - Loan

CM - PURCHASE

lets see…

Yates started for Swansea last night. Theres no chance whatsoever of them loaning him to us. It also seems only a glimmer of a hope that we bring in a midfielder.

6 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I don't love it or hate it.

It's cover till the end of the season. To me it indicates we will continue with a back 3/back 5.

Makes sense not to panic buy now and make 4 or 5 quality signings in the summer. 

Assuming the AW money doesn't go into a big black hole (most likely scenario).

If he has enough left in the legs to come on late and help us see games out then it's something we've been badly lacking especially if he can organise defending set pieces.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We’ll get to Friday - ‘very clever by the club to keep our power dry, this season is over anyway, we can now properly invest in the summer’.

1st September comes around - ‘Err you do know we can’t spend money, we’re skint, we’ve shit fans and there’s FFP. Thank god for Venky’s is what I say’.

If it plays out that we spend none / a fraction of the Wharton fee (not to mention Raya fee), and even that doesn't open the eyes of the social media sad acts then god help us all. Nothing will stop them licking the boots of our moronic overlords

• Like 2

Short term deal, Doesn't hurt our squad at all and brings vital experience. But he's 37, his legs have gone, Evans at UTD still doing the job around his age at a higher level. Ayala was known for walking the youth through the games and training sessions. Funny how the defence has fallen apart since the experience has gone. Hyam will also benefit from this

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

I have zero problem with the transfer and not sure why people would. He's exactly what we've been crying out for all season in regards to leadership and experience. 

I think it's an excellent signing. As the above + it also means we can take our time in the summer to recruit the right people rather than pay a fee well over market rate in the next 24hrs for a player we may not have done our due diligence over that might cost us in the long run. 

• Like 3

McFadzean also used to playing in a 3.

I'd imagine we're switching to a 3-5-2

Pears

Hyam - McFadzean - Scott/O'Riordan

Rankin-Costello - Tronstad

Dolan - Szmodics - Sigurdsson

Gallagher

A team thats hopefully good enough to get the 18+ points needed to not be relegated.

We’ve been crying out for a bit of a nasty bastard both on the pitch and around the training ground for ages. MacFazdean adds this, more than anything he might give a few a chasing and a kicking in training. His aggression from set pieces in training alone would do this group the world of good. 

• Like 7

I'd be happy with Louie Sibley or Max Bird to replace Wharton... however i'm also mindful that JRC, easily one of our best players, will have his eye on that CM spot.

Would it be better to sign a full-back right now and give JRC a chance to shine in the middle?

• Like 6

Theres talk about us keeping our powder dry until the summer rather than panic buying.

Do people genuinely think that money will be sat there waiting for the summer?

It shouldnt be a case of not having done our homework on players. This sale was always in the post at some point. Its not a case of shit Wharton is going, we didnt expect that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why is everyone so adamant that Wharton was forced out?

I don't think he was actively looking for a move, but I also doubt that he took too much convincing.

Because of the podcast I'm part of, I know that his agent has been very actively promoting him over the past 6 months and things really increased in January.

Could just be described as an agent doing a good job, or it could be that they decided that a move was likely in the next 6-12 months and they needed to raise his profile.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, about this seems bizarre or makes the club look poorly run. I'll judge them on how we use the money now, not for the fact that we sold a 19-year-old for our club record fee. 

Never mind all of these 'to Crystal Palace' comments. How do you think other fans have felt when Blackburn Rovers have stepped in to snap up their talent? 

Early nineties Southampton.

With our current injuries I think he will come straight into a back three.  Who plays at wing back is of course an issue.  Will JRC move into midfield to take AW's role?  As for the left side, god knows?   I'd spend the whole game putting the ball into the space between Wharton and the touchline if I was an opposition manager.

Edited by Paul Mellelieu

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theres talk about us keeping our powder dry until the summer rather than panic buying.

Do people genuinely think that money will be sat there waiting for the summer?

It shouldnt be a case of not having done our homework on players. This sale was always in the post at some point. Its not a case of shit Wharton is going, we didnt expect that.

Absolutely not, we need to spend it now or it'll be gone forever 

Broughton has been talking for a while about increasing the age profile of our squad. Some nerd with a spreadsheet has probably discovered that by selling Wharton and bringing in McFadzean we can take it from 22.8 to 26.3, ticking a box and making a profit! This astonishing piece of data usage will see him as head of recruitment one day.

• Like 6