BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

27 minutes ago, Mike E said:

And Gregg turned up Tronstad, who (for my money) is the most complete and combative central midfielder I’ve seen at the club since David Jones (still baffles me that we never tied him down).

I was watching the Wrexham game and I didn't even realise he was on the pitch until he scored. Each to their own.

Cracking strike and great reaction though.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This is perhaps the most depressing summary of the Venkys regime you could ever wish to see. If we havent had a midfielder up to the standards of such a bang average player in all these years.

The likes of Szmodics, Armstrong and Dack werent good signings, they were all outstanding for the money paid.

I do appreciate that we cant let standards drop but you are overly harsh with your judgements of signings. They arent just the odd good signing. The likes of Tronstad, Hyam, Kaminski, Rothwell, Pickering and a few others also range from good to very good signings under the last 2 tenures, and there are more. 

I think Pickering is a poor signing and seem to be in a minority of one that doesn't rate Hyam but point taken.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This is perhaps the most depressing summary of the Venkys regime you could ever wish to see. If we havent had a midfielder up to the standards of such a bang average player in all these years.

The likes of Szmodics, Armstrong and Dack werent good signings, they were all outstanding for the money paid.

I do appreciate that we cant let standards drop but you are overly harsh with your judgements of signings. They arent just the odd good signing. The likes of Tronstad, Hyam, Kaminski, Rothwell, Pickering and a few others also range from good to very good signings under the last 2 tenures, and there are more. 

We've developed a trait of giving them away or not getting much back for them though haven't we?

Kaminski and Rothwell 2 cases in point. Sort of defeats the objective!

"there are more"---and there are many who were hopeless. Its not as rosy a picture as you paint.

Overall our squad has declined in quality and there's probably more to come.

Picking out the odd gem isn't getting us anywhere. There is no plan.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Under Vs when they've actually sanctioned paying 1-3 mill for players they usually serve us well then get punted for profit.

Why the hell this isn't the model with promotion the aim is baffling as the answers to earning decent money out of better quality is proven and staring them in the face. I guess though it all comes down to wages and if you want a kiddies wage bill you'll end up with league 1 football.

AA - in 3 mill  out 15 mill

Dack in 1 mill  value at injury 15 mill

TK in c1mill  out for a desperate cut price 2.5

Rhodes in 8 mill  out 9 rising to 11 mill

Marshall in c1 mill  out c3 mill

TC in c1 mill  out 3 mill

Rudy in 1 mill  out 6 mill

And there's more and should've been several others.

The proof of the pudding is their so why now switch to a poundshop operation and risk the drop again makes no sense at all.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I was watching the Wrexham game and I didn't even realise he was on the pitch until he scored. Each to their own.

Cracking strike and great reaction though.

Only Hyam and JRC touched the ball more than him, he had >93% pass accuracy (2nd highest) and got a lovely assist in the first half too.

When you do notice him he must be having a blinder!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 47er said:

We've developed a trait of giving them away or not getting much back for them though haven't we?

Kaminski and Rothwell 2 cases in point. Sort of defeats the objective!

"there are more"---and there are many who were hopeless. Its not as rosy a picture as you paint.

Overall our squad has declined in quality and there's probably more to come.

Picking out the odd gem isn't getting us anywhere. There is no plan.

Quoted but similar point to @tomphil regarding sales/plan

We have signed and/or developed some good players. The issue as touched on is the owners, the footballing people regularly mention Brentford/Brighton model but its all massively hindered by the owners. They reject bids, they dont reinvest, there is no continuity so we cant consistently generate profits, reinvest and continue to improve

Rhodes - big sale - not reinvested

Armstrong - big sale/profit - not reinvested

Cairney - big sale/profit - not reinvested

Gestede - big sale/profit - not reinvested

Rothwell - owners rejected potential for huge profit - left for free

Brereron - owners rejected potential for small profit/huge fee - left for free

Kaminski - excellent cheap signing - considerable profit on investment made - fraction made available (and wasted to be fair)

Wharton - need we say more

And 47er I do agree that we have signed many more that werent successful but you will always get some wrong, especially when the majority are freebies/loans (quite a lot of success there) or for 6 figures. A number would fit into between useful and good there too rather than being all hopeless. The above list would more than soak the rest of the freebies etc up anyway, if we had normal owners.

Am I right in thinking weve spent over a million only once in about 10 years? I may have missed players. But they are Armstrong who scored loads made a huge profit, Brereton who scored loads and should have made a profit, Gallagher who was overpriced but not as bad as some make out, Szmodics who has scored loads and Hyam who won player of the season.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think Pickering is a poor signing and seem to be in a minority of one that doesn't rate Hyam but point taken.

He is a LB signed for 500k and spent his first 2 years being a steady and reliable member of teams finishing in 8th and 7th.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Am I right in thinking weve spent over a million only once in about 10 years?

Eh? No, not remotely right. Did you mean something else, like net spend in a window or something? I'm fairly sure the answer to that is also no.

We have spent over a million on several of the players you mentioned, so I can only think you mean something else.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Eh? No, not remotely right. Did you mean something else, like net spend in a window or something? I'm fairly sure the answer to that is also no.

We have spent over a million on several of the players you mentioned, so I can only think you mean something else.

Why i put once i have no idea. I meant 5 times 😂 still not many

In terms of man management, PR and the JDT farce we are in the midst of as a result of the window its a catastrophe

In terms of ripping the emotional ties between Rovers, the players and the community, Wharton's departure is horrific and far too soon.

In terms of incomings as always remains to be seen but by the law of averages there has to be at least one gem and one dud.

Ironically, we are back in the hands of officialdom. This time the Home Office processing McGuire. A delay might cover the time needed to get his fitness up from Florida vacation level.

But from what I have heard of the McGuire analysis, he is far from the perfect striker but he meets the characteristics list of what he hadn't previously got in the squad absolutely perfectly. Genuinely excited by this one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think a solitary international call up sometimes does more heavy lifting than it should. The squad contained only US based players when he came off the bench.

Wahlstedt has a solitary cap and look at him.

Mind you, if we are comparing to Telalovic he would have to be bad.

For context, Wahlstedt's cap was in a friendly against Finland in a squad that consisted solely of players from the Scandinavian leagues, comparable to the old England B squad.  

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, philipl said:

But from what I have heard of the McGuire analysis, he is far from the perfect striker but he meets the characteristics list of what he hadn't previously got in the squad absolutely perfectly. Genuinely excited by this one.

Genuine question - of that analysis what would you say earmarks him as being different from Gallagher? Other than potentially being less injury prone. I've only seen clips and was reminded of Gally in that the lad was a bit clumsy and more like an athlete than a footballer. I'd be interested in some further details as YouTube clips aren't exactly a great way to judge a player and we may not see him for a whle yet. 

It seems the 2 new defenders have been identified for one thing only. To head the ball.

McFadzean is a big ol' unit and the Liverpool lad was asked what his best attributes were and his response was heading/winning aerial duels "if the ball is in the air, it's mine" (something along those lines)

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a LB signed for 500k and spent his first 2 years being a steady and reliable member of teams finishing in 8th and 7th.

Nah, he clearly struggled to keep up in his first full year. In his first half year we didn't even have him due to a bizarre deal which meant we bought a player, needed the player, but let his old club keep him.

He's not brilliant now, but he's better than he was. Still struggles in this league though.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

A delay might cover the time needed to get his fitness up from Florida vacation level.

hopefully the bit of pre season he has had will help. a mate of mine went through the american soccer system and he'd hammer home how just how focused on fitness and physical discipline they were, and he's no slob! everything was about being as physically fit as humanly possible, partially because of all the cross-country travelling and varying different climates i think.

in other words, he hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble getting up to speed, nor matching the physicality of the league.

Edited by nbdrovers

3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s all making sense now.

In all honesty I would love it to fall through so we can expose all those necessary.

Just like we exposed them last January?

You lads are living in a fairytale.

All that will happen, if the deal falls through, is that we'll be weaker until the summer when the whole circus starts up again.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Polky said:

I did find it strange that there’s no interview/clips of him on Rovers TV.

Now we know why…

There was an interview with him and a video too.

Edited by arbitro

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

All that will happen, if the deal falls through, is that we'll be weaker until the summer when the whole circus starts up again.

this summer the whole house will fall down  imo

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Chill…A repeat of last January will at least pump some realisation into those in denial.