BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Just now, TugaysMarlboro said:

Last question from me on it all Glen.

The bit in bold, did Waggott hold his hands up and claim any accountability to the January transfer fiasco during yesterdays meeting?

I can't recall tbh, I know I did say he was focusing very much on Maguire and not the wider picture. Just my opinion of course, but we have much wider issues than not signing a player on loan. The more we put Mcquire fiasco in lights the more we dilute the wider and bigger issues at the club. The frustration was there long before we stuck this cherry on top

• Like 2

Thanks Glen.  It is interesting to read that Rovers hadn't had a bid accepted ahead of McGuire boarding his flight and rather at odds with the widely accepted accounts that we've had up to this point.  

I have also been responsible for submitting documents to non-negotiable deadlines and it is routine that I ask the team member submitting for email confirmation that the documents have been received and accepted.

• Like 3

Just now, glen9mullan said:

I can't recall tbh, I know I did say he was focusing very much on Maguire and not the wider picture. Just my opinion of course, but we have much wider issues than not signing a player on loan. The more we put Mcquire fiasco in lights the more we dilute the wider and bigger issues at the club. The frustration was there long before we stuck this cherry on top

I agree and also agree with your sentiment that ultimately he is accountable.

Was more intrigued to see if he had held his hands up or was one of these people that has trouble accepting they're culpable (I sense the latter without ever having met him).

1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Thanks Glen.  It is interesting to read that Rovers hadn't had a bid accepted ahead of McGuire boarding his flight and rather at odds with the widely accepted accounts that we've had up to this point.  

I have also been responsible for submitting documents to non-negotiable deadlines and it is routine that I ask the team member submitting for email confirmation that the documents have been received and accepted.

We are in the a world of social media where things are being passed as facts by random and ITK Everywhere, even hashtag ITK.

Its gets snow balled all the time,

Our local press have not gone to print or on the radio stating we bombed him mid flight, because it did not happen.

I try to avoid tbh, putting things out nowadays, I.e Eustace etc, I was aware of this days ago and some trusted people I did let them know by DM. I did chat with someone yesterday and actually made out I did not know to see if they had same name, which they did.

Its not worth the hassle, and much better to wait for the announcements

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Anyone else think spending 5-7 million on this untested rookie is an absurd amount and we could get two 3 million pound strikers for the same money or a top striker with some pedigree. That decision in itself is quite worrying going forward . Duncan was reported in the media in the 2.3 million mark which whilst a lot for us is more a fee I’d be comfortable with involving a player of that pedigree

for example imagine if we had paid that for telalovic

I think the try before we buy is the only sensible option here, and the board was right to say NO to a purchase 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Now the Mcguire case has been heard, I will now share the chain of events confirmed by four different sources who were ALL in the building on Transfer deadline day.

I will also dispel some myths and bollocks which has spun around the net.

GB Spoke with Orlando over a period of a few weeks regarding his interest in Mcguire (DOF Identifies players, his role)

Orlando had cash bids from Sheff Wednesday and GB Indicated that the club would be willing to buy the player for £5-7 Million including add on, however this was not an offer and it would have to go through the correct channels at the club, as it was subject to due diligence, funds and negotiation by those who do the money side (GB Does not negotiate contracts or fees).

The deal being pulled mid flight is complete fabrication, Rovers had not progressed to a formal offer, hence he ended up in Sheffield and not Blackburn. HIs agent negotiated with Orlando to have him in England as there was firm interest from two clubs possibly a third.

Following due diligence, which included using overseas data analysis, the clubs wide scouting network, it was clear that Mcguire had just seven months ago been playing college football, (The equivalent of turning out at pleasington on a Sunday). He was at nearly 23 a late rookie breakout last season in the MLS, Which in all fairness is a not the highest standard.  GB Wanted the player, so the club negotiated a "Try before you buy" offer, instead of spunking millions at a relatively unknown quantity. Orlando was happy with this, so the player headed to Blackburn.

All formalities were done by between 8pm and 9pm and the paperwork uploaded. All Seniors were in the building SW, GB, MC and IS. The club opted to wait to announce the deal and ordered curry in to celebrate what they deemed a successful window.

A sweep was done around the office a number of times with all those involved to ensure everything had been dotted and crossed.

GB and IS Assured everyone this was the case, please note only the secretary can upload to the portal and press send. No one left the office and the deal was announced.

At around 11.04 one of the admin girls who I shall not name, told the CEO That it had not been sent. Of course at this point complete devastation for a very large team at Ewood who had put a lot of effort into transfer deadline day.

Only one person could send this, and everyone else had done their part, that person stated it had gone, to all the senior team and those who play a supporting role. 

Th fault of this lies solely with the secretary. 

The background noise of transfers being cancelled mid-flight just did not happen. Adam Wharton's deal was done Wednesday and had no baring on this fiasco.

The club were hoping time stamps of uploads would get leniency from the EFL, But deep down knew this lad been badly let down and it was never going to end well.

We have huge sticks and bombs to hit certain people, but truth be told this is one person, who has royally fooooooked it up for everyone.

So just to be clear, the man that should have been potted 12 months ago (as the only person that could submit the paperwork that was in the building and failed to notice multiple errors) has been allowed to remain in post and mess up again?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So just to be clear, the man that should have been potted 12 months ago (as the only person that could submit the paperwork that was in the building and failed to notice multiple errors) has been allowed to remain in post and mess up again?

Yep, and I would go as far as saying those who allowed him to remain in situ are as culpable if not more. I think the 10 years service probably saved him last time, but this time its got to be au revoir 

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Gregg does seem to be more implicated here than I thought.

Not only for not making personally sure the papers had been sent (as he was the one who said he'd ensured last Jan's problem couldn't happen again, even though he personally could not submit the docs & ought to be able to trust those who could), but also it seems like he was happy to all but commit the club to spending £7m on a late-developing college football rookie. If he was keen on this player for months (his prerogative as DoF), why was due diligence elsewhere in recruitment only done on deadline day??

As for Waggott, on £300k p/a and being the only other person able to submit docs besides Sylvester, he ought to have done it himself given what happened last January. An absolute derogation of duty on his part, added to his derogation of duty last Jan when at the match instead of overseeing deadline day.

I think both have to go (somewhat reluctantly in GB's case), and Sylvester of course.

Sylvester has played a blinder - clicking save rather than submit was literally the only way he could f' up this transfer. I bet Broughton was breathing down his neck for the entire day. I'm genuinely impressed with his ingenuity in sabotaging this deal.

As for McGuire - College is 4 years in the USA. He's clearly enjoyed every year of it and graduated with his degree before trying his hand as a professional. If it's anything like the NFL the youngest he could be, having gone to College, is 20, so he's not that far behind the curve and evidently he's hit the ground running. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It appears they have their scapegoat then. Clean hands Broughton is off the hook despite his 'review of the processes' interview last February. It's happened again so what now? Another review of the processes?

Out of embarrassment he should resign immediately.

Even if it is buttoned up and IS carries the can how on earth does GB have any credibility now? 

If he sticks around everyone is going to hate him.

Thought he did okay last season but christ hes had a stinker this year  - Leo absolutely disastrous (must be one of the worst rovers signings of all time in terms of negative impact on results), no impact at all from Ennis or Telelovic, and now this.

Only positive for him has been Tronstad.

I wonder if Eustace or whoever the incoming manager is going to accept a DoF on that record...

• Like 3

I still find it odd that someone who likes the sound of his own voice as much has boughton does has been silent since the mess occurred which he said could never happen again.

After his statements from last year his position is untenable. He took the blame for Sylvesters cock up last year and assured us that it couldn’t happen again. That alone means it’s time up for him as well.

His silence probably speaks volumes. I’m guessing he’s agreeing a package to leave. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Even if it is buttoned up and IS carries the can how on earth does GB have any credibility now? 

If he sticks around everyone is going to hate him.

Thought he did okay last season but christ hes had a stinker this year  - Leo absolutely disastrous (must be one of the worst rovers signings of all time in terms of negative impact on results), no impact at all from Ennis or Telelovic, and now this.

Only positive for him has been Tronstad.

I wonder if Eustace or whoever the incoming manager is going to accept a DoF on that record...

Yep, following up on my similar comments to yours. His signings probably make for a sackable offence alone.

Leo for half a million is probably the worst of them. Number one target and definitely a vampire keeper. 

I can see no value in keeping him based on what he’s delivered. I would think JDT could have picked up some better players through his contacts. 

• Like 3

Now the Mcguire case has been heard, I will now share the chain of events confirmed by four different sources who were ALL in the building on Transfer deadline day.

I will also dispel some myths and bollocks which has spun around the net.

GB Spoke with Orlando over a period of a few weeks regarding his interest in Mcguire (DOF Identifies players, his role)

Orlando had cash bids from Sheff Wednesday and GB Indicated that the club would be willing to buy the player for £5-7 Million including add on, however this was not an offer and it would have to go through the correct channels at the club, as it was subject to due diligence, funds and negotiation by those who do the money side (GB Does not negotiate contracts or fees).

The deal being pulled mid flight is complete fabrication, Rovers had not progressed to a formal offer, hence he ended up in Sheffield and not Blackburn. HIs agent negotiated with Orlando to have him in England as there was firm interest from two clubs possibly a third.

Following due diligence, which included using overseas data analysis, the clubs wide scouting network, it was clear that Mcguire had just seven months ago been playing college football, (The equivalent of turning out at pleasington on a Sunday). He was at nearly 23 a late rookie breakout last season in the MLS, Which in all fairness is a not the highest standard.  GB Wanted the player, so the club negotiated a "Try before you buy" offer, instead of spunking millions at a relatively unknown quantity. Orlando was happy with this, so the player headed to Blackburn.

All formalities were done by between 8pm and 9pm and the paperwork uploaded. All Seniors were in the building SW, GB, MC and IS. The club opted to wait to announce the deal and ordered curry in to celebrate what they deemed a successful window.

A sweep was done around the office a number of times with all those involved to ensure everything had been dotted and crossed.

GB and IS Assured everyone this was the case, please note only the secretary can upload to the portal and press send. No one left the office and the deal was announced.

At around 11.04 one of the admin girls who I shall not name, told the CEO That it had not been sent. Of course at this point complete devastation for a very large team at Ewood who had put a lot of effort into transfer deadline day.

Only one person could send this, and everyone else had done their part, that person stated it had gone, to all the senior team and those who play a supporting role. 

Th fault of this lies solely with the secretary. 

The background noise of transfers being cancelled mid-flight just did not happen. Adam Wharton's deal was done Wednesday and had no baring on this fiasco.

The club were hoping time stamps of uploads would get leniency from the EFL, But deep down knew this lad been badly let down and it was never going to end well.

We have huge sticks and bombs to hit certain people, but truth be told this is one person, who has royally fooooooked it up for everyone.

From a source who undertakes all the registrations at another EFL club very close to us, if the Fleck deal was submitted after the Maguire deal, they would have known Maguire hadn’t been submitted when they logged on to deal with Fleck.

• Like 9

If Broughton thinks a 23 year old from an inferior league, having recently graduated from college football is likely to be an upgrade on (for example) Harry Leonard and is worth dragging halfway across the world then I would question his credentials to be the Director Of Football at our club.

Having assured us that a newly installed system would prevent another deadline day catastrophe, only for this to be seen to be patently untrue, then I again question his credentials to perform his role.

I can only conclude that the man is a complete moron. What other explanation can there be.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

From a source who undertakes all the registrations at another EFL club very close to us, if the Fleck deal was submitted after the Maguire deal, they would have known Maguire hadn’t been submitted when they logged on to deal with Fleck.

Surprise surprise…. Not! 

• Like 2

Guys exiting the building having lost the dressing room, may as well drop some bombs on his way out.

Reality is the CEO is top of the food chain and holds accountability for any shit show,

Suhail is not a club director and is a consultant

I’ve highlighted a serious concern.

I would suggest that questions need to be asked as to exactly what is Suhail Pasha’s legal role at The Blackburn Rovers & Athletic Club Ltd? What instructions is he giving to the Board of Directors and on what authority. He’s clearly a shadow director, this point needs emphasising to ensure he’s on the hook and accountable. 
However many directors there may be remaining, should certainly consider their positions and whether without his accountability I’d be pushing back. 

• Like 5

Just seems a lot of people are almost happy that Broughton could be a goner. His transfer record over all has been at least as good(if not better) than anybody that has come before him during the venky period imo! And his hiring of jdt turned out to be a real breath of fresh air(for the first 12 months at least) 

Wahlstadt was thrown in at the deep end, I'd say ideally he needed to spend at least this whole season as an understudy to a more experienced senior keeper (sadly he's only got flippin Pears in that role) 

Ennis signed on a free and reportedly sold for around half a mill just 6 months later. So a relatively risk free signing initially that didn't work out(for whatever reason) but they've still quickly profited from it

Telavovic.. The jurys still out for me, i like his attitude and he has ability but whether he's cut out for this level only time will tell... But again a relatively cheap low risk signing that I'm sure would be easy to offload if needs be. 

Tronstadt alone tips the balance for me, great little find, quality player and potential future captain material in my book

Obviously the jury is very very much out on this januarys bargain bucket recruits but again they're all relatively low risk signings that could potentially turn out to be excellent additions(if not then no big loss) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Just seems a lot of people are almost happy that Broughton could be a goner. His transfer record over all has been at least as good(if not better) than anybody that has come before him during the venky period imo! And his hiring of jdt turned out to be a real breath of fresh air(for the first 12 months at least) 

Wahlstadt was thrown in at the deep end, I'd say ideally he needed to spend at least this whole season as an understudy to a more experienced senior keeper (sadly he's only got flippin Pears in that role) 

Ennis signed on a free and reportedly sold for around half a mill just 6 months later. So a relatively risk free signing initially that didn't work out(for whatever reason) but they've still quickly profited from it

Telavovic.. The jurys still out for me, i like his attitude and he has ability but whether he's cut out for this level only time will tell... But again a relatively cheap low risk signing that I'm sure would be easy to offload if needs be. 

Tronstadt alone tips the balance for me, great little find, quality player and potential future captain material in my book

Obviously the jury is very very much out on this januarys bargain bucket recruits but again they're all relatively low risk signings that could potentially turn out to be excellent additions(if not then no big loss) 

Ennis would have had a fair proportion of his 4 year contract paid up. I bet we didn't make any profit at all

• Like 5

It was a try before you buy but committing to those numbers for this guy would've been crazy and you can now see how we ended up with unfit Ennis on 4yrs and threw 800k we couldn't afford at Leo.

Sorry but its been clearly demonstrated the guy is way out of his depth when it comes to value v match ready ability at this level. Getting our youth signed up and getting a few loans in is one thing and more in his line of experience but recruiting vfm for fist team ready players is a whole different ball game.

His experience is that of an academy director and i suggest it shows.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Boz said:

I’ve highlighted a serious concern.

I would suggest that questions need to be asked as to exactly what is Suhail Pasha’s legal role at The Blackburn Rovers & Athletic Club Ltd? What instructions is he giving to the Board of Directors and on what authority. He’s clearly a shadow director, this point needs emphasising to ensure he’s on the hook and accountable. 
However many directors there may be remaining, should certainly consider their positions and whether without his accountability I’d be pushing back. 

Why does he keep getting off the hook ?

Mowbray kept referring to him as owners conduit yet he's down as operations manager on the official titles board. Others have said he basically is over Waggot and runs the show and now maverick JDT has actually dug him out.

I suspect Suhail and Steve are somewhat of a gravy train riding arse covering double act but with more clout and slightly more experience than Shagnew.

Edited by tomphil

4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Just this, when you put his signing on fee and wages into the mix, I believe we actually made a loss

Given Ennis wasn’t getting a game, I would imagine that a move to Stoke on similar, if not better money and nearer to his hometown Wolverhampton would have been a dream move. Given this, I doubt there was any requirement for us to sweeten it by paying up any of his contract.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Ennis would have had a fair proportion of his 4 year contract paid up. I bet we didn't make any profit at all

I'll admit it was a weird one!(I'm guessing dodgy agents played a big dubious role in this particular situation) But hopefully it wasn't too big of a loss!(if any) 

ability wise i really wouldn't be suprised to see him score a few at this level playing in a system that suits him better, that's if he can stay fit long enough 😄

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

I would say "Opinion" not fact, but given the Coventry CB Arriving Ex Waggott player , Fleck who Waggott signed at Coventry too, and now Eustace, I think reading between the lines the DOF Has now been made irrelevant, and with that the writing is on the wall.

My concern though with lets gets some mates in is, with agents etc and money passing hands, I sincerely hope these are with the best intentions and there is no creaming off the top to top pensions up!!!!!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Given Ennis wasn’t getting a game, I would imagine that a move to Stoke on similar, if not better money and nearer to his hometown Wolverhampton would have been a dream move. Given this, I doubt there was any requirement for us to sweeten it by paying up any of his contract.

Go on I will bite, CIRCA 40k loss in total, confirmed!!! Source not SWAG Before anyone ask!!

To recover most the money is success in current climate, 

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 8