BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A good manager making the most of what he has due to having to operate without a proper striker after more disgraceful antics this summer.

This club is very, very lucky to have JDT as this could’ve been a very messy season otherwise.

if jdt manages to calm his attacking mania and gets us in the play offs he should be nominated for manager of the year,i don`t think anyone is expecting us to do that,imagine what he could do if he had a board and owners that knew what they were doing,unfortunately for us he won`t be here next season

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you can`t be on it evey week,so give some praise to the players for digging out a result,though bobby madley and his linesman must be given some credit for making up a new rule,you can`t distract the goalie by standing near him😁

35 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Well said, the expectations from some on here are absolutely ludicrous. 

We play in a competitive league, one in which we have one of the smallest budgets. 

The manager can't win. If we try and play exciting, attacking football the detractors call JDT 'naïve' (even though we outplayed nearly everyone, and with a bit more luck would have won more games and been a lot higher in the table). If we revert to the football of the first half of last season it's 'dull'. 

JDT doesn't have the luxury of a fit Dack, Armstrong or Brereton to bang in the goals. He hasn't even got a fit striker to choose from.  He's playing a RB on the wing, and another RB in CM. He's playing a diminutive winger at CF. 

Most of the attackers on Cardiff's bench yesterday would have got in our first team. 

If we finish mid-table we'll have done well. But some have thrown their toys out already and said that isn't good enough. Absolutely fooking bizarre!

What is this nonsense about ludicrous expectations and that the manager not being able to win? Or that it isnt good enough? Who is throwing their toys out and saying it isnt good enough?

I said throughout the poor run that football is about results, I didn't put it down to hard luck and naive was a fair description, we were conceding 3's and 4's, we were wide open, left with a solitary young lad holding the fort with Travis, the full backs and the 4 attackers all up the field.

Tomasson has somewhat surprised me in becoming willing to move away from his principles. I think the Pears injury obviously forced his hand, but that has helped us. Hill has come in at full back, Tronstad has come in, and we are playing far less gung ho.

The game was boring yesterday, but as I said, football is about results, I was very satisfied to win as I always am and plenty of praise for the defenders yesterday. I am all for not just trying to "entertain" when it leads to regular losses and the ball never out of our net, and I don't think this post is warranted.

Also, do Cardiff's subs start for us? Robinson cant get a game for them, Meite average, Tanner a young lad from non league and Colwill has never kicked on. Maybe much of a muchness aside from Sigurdsson and Szmodics to pick a front 4 but I am not overly envious of them.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, do Cardiff's subs start for us? Robinson cant get a game for them, Meite average, Tanner a young lad from non league and Colwill has never kicked on. Maybe much of a muchness aside from Sigurdsson and Szmodics to pick a front 4 but I am not overly envious of them.

You were complaining about Brittain playing RW. Tanner is a RW. So, yes, he would have got in our starting XI.

Robinson is a better striker than Dolan.

Meite is a better striker than Dolan. 

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tomasson has somewhat surprised me in becoming willing to move away from his principles. I think the Pears injury obviously forced his hand, but that has helped us. Hill has come in at full back, Tronstad has come in, and we are playing far less gung ho.

I'm surprised you're surprised. JDT started last season playing a defensive low block. It was something they worked on in summer of 2022. It was a clear tactic to win points early on as he assessed the squad and got them playing the way he wanted. He said as much. Quite pragmatic for such a 'naïve' coach. 

The team then evolved in the 2nd half of last season and we started playing better football. Again this was something he said would happen.

This season we have evolved again. Some of the football has been fantastic. Sadly, we haven't had the rub of the green. 

The 'naive' coach has therefore once again adopted a more pragmatic approach very early in the season to get points on the board. You can bet your bottom dollar that as the season progresses and results stabilise we will start becoming a bit more attacking again. 

You'd have to be 'naive' to look at JDT's tenure to date and think he's anything but a very talented, pragmatic coach. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

The team selling for a £1m will probably look to get a replacement for £250k - that’s the one everyone should be looking at…

But hang on…the team selling for £250k will be looking to get a freebie replacement…

😁😁

“Blackburn Rovers is pleased to announce the signing of Jack Rodwell who joins today from…”

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You were complaining about Brittain playing RW. Tanner is a RW. So, yes, he would have got in our starting XI.

Robinson is a better striker than Dolan.

Meite is a better striker than Dolan. 

I'm surprised you're surprised. JDT started last season playing a defensive low block. It was something they worked on in summer of 2022. It was a clear tactic to win points early on as he assessed the squad and got them playing the way he wanted. He said as much. Quite pragmatic for such a 'naïve' coach. 

The team then evolved in the 2nd half of last season and we started playing better football. Again this was something he said would happen.

This season we have evolved again. Some of the football has been fantastic. Sadly, we haven't had the rub of the green. 

The 'naive' coach has therefore once again adopted a more pragmatic approach very early in the season to get points on the board. You can bet your bottom dollar that as the season progresses and results stabilise we will start becoming a bit more attacking again. 

You'd have to be 'naive' to look at JDT's tenure to date and think he's anything but a very talented, pragmatic coach. 

Perhaps but thats probably more of a slight on Dolan and a right back on the wing rather than their subs being particularly good.

You seem to have taken my post as a negative rant and a slight on the manager. I never said he is generally naive, I felt the tactics this season until recently have been naive. At the start of his tenure, it felt like he was playing more pragmatically as he got used to the squad which had very few players signed under him, exactly as you said. In the last couple of months of last season in particular, we became noticeably more attacking in his style and results dropped off, those tactics have become even more full on and results have not gone our way. You put that down to hard luck, I think we wont many games conceding 3 and 4.

Also, these days it seems like the "structure" so Broughton in particular has autonomy in terms of playing style. All the guff about player values etc. Tomasson was quite steadfast in how we was playing despite the losses and I didnt expect such a sudden change.

You seem to have automatically taken a stance of "people being negative" regardless of what has actually been said.

Can you point to me specific quotes which show toys being thrown, suggestions that the manager cant win or that expectations are stupidly high?

It surely cant be that I referred to yesterdays match as dull. It was, very few chances, very little quality. But I also said that the result was very satisfying, that the result is all that matters and that the defenders all played well. Id take a boring 1 nil in every single game. I wouldnt take a 4-1 loss, a 3-0 loss, a 3-1 loss or a 4-3 loss alongside hard luck stories and praise from other managers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Etete wasn't even in the Cardiff match day squad. I don't agree that either Robinson or Miete get in our starting 11 

You don’t think proven championships strikers get into our team over Dolan , an overweight league one striker and a bloke who plays for the German Wetherspoons 11

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Robinson easy gets in our team, also that Tanner looks a player…Not really hard to better Dolan or Markanday so not sure how people are saying they wouldn’t…Robinson has fallen out with their boss that’s why he doesn’t start for them anymore…

with a fully fit squad Dolan and Markanday don't make our starting 11. If I had to play three forwards, I would pick, Moran, Ennis and Sigurdsson.   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Perhaps but thats probably more of a slight on Dolan and a right back on the wing rather than their subs being particularly good.

You seem to have taken my post as a negative rant and a slight on the manager. I never said he is generally naive, I felt the tactics this season until recently have been naive. At the start of his tenure, it felt like he was playing more pragmatically as he got used to the squad which had very few players signed under him, exactly as you said. In the last couple of months of last season in particular, we became noticeably more attacking in his style and results dropped off, those tactics have become even more full on and results have not gone our way. You put that down to hard luck, I think we wont many games conceding 3 and 4.

Also, these days it seems like the "structure" so Broughton in particular has autonomy in terms of playing style. All the guff about player values etc. Tomasson was quite steadfast in how we was playing despite the losses and I didnt expect such a sudden change.

You seem to have automatically taken a stance of "people being negative" regardless of what has actually been said.

Can you point to me specific quotes which show toys being thrown, suggestions that the manager cant win or that expectations are stupidly high?

It surely cant be that I referred to yesterdays match as dull. It was, very few chances, very little quality. But I also said that the result was very satisfying, that the result is all that matters and that the defenders all played well. Id take a boring 1 nil in every single game. I wouldnt take a 4-1 loss, a 3-0 loss, a 3-1 loss or a 4-3 loss alongside hard luck stories and praise from other managers.

You get really defensive about being perceived as negative, or your posts being perceived as negative. You then try to shut down debate by accusing people of calling you negative when it hasn't actually happened. It's all a bit odd. 

I can't be arsed looking for specific posts, but the season was written off by one particular poster after a couple of losses as we could 'only finish mid-table', like that was a bad thing. Another one called for the manager's head a couple of week's ago. There were others. 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

A good manager making the most of what he has due to having to operate without a proper striker after more disgraceful antics this summer.

This club is very, very lucky to have JDT as this could’ve been a very messy season otherwise.

If he'd been adequately supported in the transfer market this summer I think he would probably have taken us up. Certainly top 6.

We will really struggle to replace him. Best appointment under Venkys--low bar I know! 😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

In the last couple of months of last season in particular, we became noticeably more attacking in his style and results dropped off, those tactics have become even more full on and results have not gone our way. You put that down to hard luck, I think we wont many games conceding 3 and 4.

I put it down to Pears...

24 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You get really defensive about being perceived as negative, or your posts being perceived as negative. You then try to shut down debate by accusing people of calling you negative when it hasn't actually happened. It's all a bit odd. 

I can't be arsed looking for specific posts, but the season was written off by one particular poster after a couple of losses as we could 'only finish mid-table', like that was a bad thing. Another one called for the manager's head a couple of week's ago. There were others. 

Your post was quoting someone as a response to my post, mentioning unrealistic expectations, toys out the pram etc, which I assumed as being aimed at me. It seems that was not the case, in which case, fair enough.

I do not agree with the hard luck narrative around our losses, there were common patterns in my opinion based on an overly attacking, "naive" style of play. The recent pragmatic changes reflect well on Tomasson, boring 90 minutes leading to wins will do me every single time.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I put it down to Pears...

It helps that he isnt playing, I sense that only an unfortunate injury would have led to him being dropped but Pears is not a good keeper. That being said, in general beyond the keeper, we arent conceding the number of chances we were during that losing run.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

You don’t think proven championships strikers get into our team over Dolan , an overweight league one striker and a bloke who plays for the German Wetherspoons 11

I don't think either do cos they don't suit us. 

I think Ennis suits us and he will be asset for us, hopefully his fitness and injury problems are over now. Telalovic is work in progress. 

Robinson or Meite hasn't scored this season in the championship. Dolan has. 

Robinson and Meite would be preferable to Dolan up front, 100%. Thats not necessarily a compliment to those 2, the vast majority of Championship strikers would.

The question is whether any of our 4 strikers would be an upgrade on those 2 average Cardiff strikers mentioned. Ennis might, but there is a huge question mark until if and when he gets fit and whether he proves up to the task. Gallagher whilst nothing special is certainly competitive with those 2. Leonard is still very young and Telalovic seems well off it hence why Tomasson is so reluctant to use him.

In terms of overall attacking players, it seems our biggest 2 goal threats will come from the left in Sigurdsson and from Szmodics, not up top. The question is whether they are sustainable regular goal threats.