BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

That assist from Dolan for the goal was an absolute peach and the complete answer to those who argue there is no end product with Dolan. It took me back 60 years--it was a Duggie/McEvoy moment! There is no higher praise!

If Wharton had made that pass we would be purring over it and sticking another £10M on his potential transfer fee.

I accept Dolan's consistency has to improve but I am certain the talent is there. Management and coaching need to bring the best out in him.

Overstating it somewhat for a simple 10 yard pass between 2 defenders. The timing of Rankin Costello’s run deserved more praise and made the pass possible. 

• Like 2

On Dolan, possibly harsh but the assist didn't impress me that much at all. I think he has an unusual way of connecting with the ball and most of the time it leads to an under hit pass, this one was one of very few passes I've seen make it through from him and I still didn't think he connected that cleanly. Most of them won't come off... and don't.

I really really think he has a lot of work still to do to make it at this level. That said he was one of the better forwards today since generally we played and in particularly attacked poorly.

Pretty grim game, I'm just delighted to have won and not played well. The win stops us having to deal with the condescending post match interview from their manager telling us we "are the best footballing team we have played this season" after a defeat.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Overstating it somewhat for a simple 10 yard pass between 2 defenders. The timing of Rankin Costello’s run deserved more praise and made the pass possible. 

Can't agree with the first sentence, though do agree with the second.

Before the pass came the take, it wasn't an easy looping header to take down with his chest, back to goal with defenders around. Then he looked up, saw the run, swivelled & played a lovely weighted 20 yard forward pass that took out 3 central defenders.

In a match of rather low offensive quality overall it was quite a superb piece of play & consisted of everything that his detractors say he can't do (i.e. control & hold the ball up in tight positions, look around for options & execute composed end product). He has the raw talent & ability, he needs the consistency; this last few games he's started to find some.

• Like 7

Poor game overall but think we shaded it.

Credit to the ref & lino for giving the offside. Not an easy one to see, but the replay shows their guy (who's a proper unit) behind our last defender & in front Leo when the ball is headed at goal. Also to their manager for fronting up about it afterwards. It was bad defending from us to allow the header, probably the only proper defensive mistake we made all match bar some stray passing around.

Back 5 were generally solid, Hyam & Carter were solid, great save when needed from Leo, & Trondstad gave them great protection & used the ball well, looks handy, puts himself about & tough to dispossess.

Attacking wise we were poor 1st half, no-one clocked, no fluidity.  I said a few times no one was making runs to break the lines; Siggy isn't quick, SS had an off game, & playing JRC & Brittain further forward meant we lost their ability to surge forward from deep undetected. Thankfully JRC provided that 2nd half, & should've got two.

Overall a good win after a 2 week break  to start this next tranche of matches, Cardiff will be tough to be for most this season. Back it up with another win on Tuesday & we'll be right back in the playoff mix.

18 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Can't agree with the first sentence, though do agree with the second.

Before the pass came the take, it wasn't an easy looping header to take down with his chest, back to goal with defenders around. Then he looked up, saw the run, swivelled & played a lovely weighted 20 yard forward pass that took out 3 central defenders.

In a match of rather low offensive quality overall it was quite a superb piece of play & consisted of everything that his detractors say he can't do (i.e. control & hold the ball up in tight positions, look around for options & execute composed end product). He has the raw talent & ability, he needs the consistency; this last few games he's started to find some.

Absolutely right with that. He could so easily have miss controlled the header away from Carter, but he did well. Great vision whether it’s a 10 yard pass or not. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Carter did well but yet again he always has that donkey moment in every game…He gave the ball away in dangerous position which could have led to them getting back into it…Will be a player that goes next season 10m+ add ons should do the trick…Unpopular opinion, he’s easily replaceable and we probably only need to spend 1m of that fee to get someone just as good.

He's easily replaceable for £1m yet we should be getting £10m + add ons for selling him?? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Yes he does have the odd mistake or rash judgment in him, don't they all?? He's turned into a top defender at this level; big, strong, confident on the ball, reads the game well, positions himself well off the ball. There's room for improvement as he matures as a player, which will come as he gets older.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, lraC said:

Absolutely right with that. He could so easily have miss controlled the header away from Carter, but he did well. Great vision whether it’s a 10 yard pass or not. 

Yup. The rest of the team really understood how good it was, eg if you look at Brittain he runs to congratulate JRC but as he does so he looks and points to Dolan in appreciation of the architecture of the chance. 

Edited by Atko's Engine

7 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

He's easily replaceable for £1m yet we should be getting £10m + add ons for selling him?? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Yes he does have the odd mistake or rash judgment in him, don't they all?? He's turned into a top defender at this level; big, strong, confident on the ball, reads the game well, positions himself well off the ball. There's room for improvement as he matures as a player, which will come as he gets older.

It does make sense, use your brain a little harder…Ask yourself, how much is Carter worth? I’d say 10m with his age, and quality…That doesn’t mean we need to spend 10m again to get a player as good? How much did we get Hyam for, over a million?? 

Classic post International break game really, I very wrongly expected it to be a bit better, but time to accept they never are! In fact every game ive watched so far this weekend hasnt been great....The good news is the next game is only in a few days and a chance to kick on.

I dare say if we'd had a fully fit Tronstad and Jimmy playing all season we'd be a good few points better off and would have conceded less goals. Fingers crossed both stay fit because you'd imagine they can also improve further with more game time.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lraC said:

It’s like the goal he scored at QPR. Some people were saying “ it was only a simple tap in “ but it was the way he opened his body up and allowed the ball to come across  him that allowed him to glide the ball into the far corner with his left foot. He could have had a bang early with his right foot and had the shot blocked. It was a cool finish for me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s like the goal he scored at QPR. Some people were saying “ it was only a simple tap in “ but it was the way he opened his body up and allowed the ball to come across  him that allowed him to glide the ball into the far corner with his left foot. He could have had a bang early with his right foot and had the shot blocked. It was a cool finish for me.

I think given his fairly poor start to the season, some people are hanging him out to dry. 
There is a player in there for certain and I for one can see beyond, some of the short comings and clearly you can too.

Hopefully the goal and assist in the last two games, give him the impetus and confidence he needs to push on and have a good season. 

• Like 6

• Backroom

Grinding out wins with clean sheets was exactly what I've been asking for, so well done to JDT and the team for adapting to the situation and getting things back under control, especially with significant injury problems limiting selection choices (although from a GK perspective this has probably been to our benefit). 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It does make sense, use your brain a little harder…Ask yourself, how much is Carter worth? I’d say 10m with his age, and quality…That doesn’t mean we need to spend 10m again to get a player as good? How much did we get Hyam for, over a million?? 

If Carter could be replaced for a tenth of what we ask for him. Why wouldn't the other team just go for the cheaper player ?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Grinding out wins with clean sheets was exactly what I've been asking for, so well done to JDT and the team for adapting to the situation and getting things back under control, especially with significant injury problems limiting selection choices (although from a GK perspective this has probably been to our benefit). 

Also at right and left full-back, central mid-field.

Just now, rigger said:

If Carter could be replaced for a tenth of what we ask for him. Why wouldn't the other team just go for the cheaper player ?

Silly fees are currently being throw around for young english CB’s. I can see the likes of Newcastle, Everton, or maybe the likes of United looking at Carter, especially if he carries on how he is. 

My point is he’s easily replaceable, we just need to find another Dom Hyam, was it £1.75m we spent on him. Or I’m sure there plenty of European youngsters out there were keeping tabs on at a lot less of a fee.

44 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

What if the team buying Carter for £10m decide to buy the bloke we are going to replace him with for £1m instead ? 😉

*edit* Rigger beat me to it…

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Top premier league clubs will keep tabs on the championships best defenders. Carter fits the bill for development, he’s young plus he’s English! 

Get Carter.

You could make a film about that!!!

• Like 5