BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

Good win yesterday, Cardiff are a much improved side on the last few seasons and they seem fairly well drilled, but I think their manager got it wrong with their tactics as they never really looked like they would exploit Rovers style of play. Having said that, I think the recent changes to our own system have reduced the weaknesses in the side.

I thought Tronstad was excellent on the whole in going about his job, and showed he has some good touches. First time seeing him live and I was very impressed, seems to be a big upgrade on Tyler Morton.

Hyam and Carter back to their best, which was great to see particularly for the latter. Hill was solid enough, as was Pickering who I thought did a reasonably good job at reducing the danger posed by Josh Bowler.

Siggy seemed a bit lethargic, perhaps tired from international exploits. Szmodics had a frustrating afternoon but despite it not being a great performance individually, he never gave up in typical fashion.

Great assist from Dolan for JRC who took his goal well...but they were both players that aside from combining for the goal I don't think played particularly well. JRC looked slow in his reactions at times, I can cut Dolan some slack in that he just isn't the guy to be up front down the middle though, he seemed to really struggle off the ball as the 2nd half went on that I'm surprised Markanday wasn't brought on.

The disallowed goal could easily have been given on another day, but luck was on our side with this one. We'll have out own share of bad luck as much as good luck throughout the season with the EFL officiating. We've already had some poor decisions go against us this season.

Ennis did ok when he came on, I remain hopeful that he and Leonard will do well over the course of the season.

Only major disappointment was that I queued for the entirety of half time only to be told that they'd run out and it'd be 5 - 10 mins wait, at which point I settled for a choccy bar 😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Very happy with the ‘keeper on the whole yesterday, bar that punch at the death!

Tronstadt and Hill also the stand outs for me.

A fantastic save near the end, but questions would definitely have been asked if their goal had stood. 

5 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

The disallowed goal could easily have been given on another day, but luck was on our side with this one. We'll have out own share of bad luck as much as good luck throughout the season with the EFL officiating. We've already had some poor decisions go against us this season.

It’s becoming like ‘virtual’ VAR in the Championship.

You never used to see such long delays in officials making a decision about the legality of a goal, (whilst the attacking team are already celebrating).

I suppose that’s not necessarily a bad thing, providing the eventual decision reached is the correct one.

Until the ball is back on the centre spot you can’t be sure a goal will stand.

• Like 2

A terrible watch and a really boring, low quality game but football is about results as was said when we were supposedly playing really well so a really satisfying win all the same. Barely a chance of note created but all about the score and the points on the board.

Stand out performers were definitely defensive, Hill was good, Carter much improved, Hyam was solid, Tronstad can be sloppy on the ball but helps to protect the defence and Pickering in the main fine. Rankin Costello the matchwinner and did well in midfield.

Wahlstedt has conceded only 1 in 3 which reflects very well, although he barely has made many saves in that time with less naive tactics being used. He did make one excellent save albeit he had a huge worrying moment at the end when he charged out and made a mess of a catch, his command of his box on the back of his reluctance to catch is a red flag for me.

Our attack was non existent throughout. Brittain as a right winger simply does not work and shouldnt be repeated. Sigurdsson is a strange player, he isnt quick and he isnt very tricky, but the one thing he has given us is goals, when he doesnt score he is anonymous but those goals if continued obviously make him a worthwhile selection. Szmodics was below par as was Dolan aside from a great assist and Ennis didnt really contribute.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A terrible watch and a really boring, low quality game but football is about results as was said when we were supposedly playing really well so a really satisfying win all the same. Barely a chance of note created but all about the score and the points on the board.

Stand out performers were definitely defensive, Hill was good, Carter much improved, Hyam was solid, Tronstad can be sloppy on the ball but helps to protect the defence and Pickering in the main fine. Rankin Costello the matchwinner and did well in midfield.

Wahlstedt has conceded only 1 in 3 which reflects very well, although he barely has made many saves in that time with less naive tactics being used. He did make one excellent save albeit he had a huge worrying moment at the end when he charged out and made a mess of a catch, his command of his box on the back of his reluctance to catch is a red flag for me.

Our attack was non existent throughout. Brittain as a right winger simply does not work and shouldnt be repeated. Sigurdsson is a strange player, he isnt quick and he isnt very tricky, but the one thing he has given us is goals, when he doesnt score he is anonymous but those goals if continued obviously make him a worthwhile selection. Szmodics was below par as was Dolan aside from a great assist and Ennis didnt really contribute.

you can`t be on it evey week,so give some praise to the players for digging out a result,though bobby madley and his linesman must be given some credit for making up a new rule,you can`t distract the goalie by standing near him😁

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think he had to come for that punch - Hyam was looking to wall his man off, rather than win the header.

Wouldn’t have hurt him to catch it, I thought. Guess it’s the modern way!

7 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

What if the team buying Carter for £10m decide to buy the bloke we are going to replace him with for £1m instead ? 😉

*edit* Rigger beat me to it…

The team selling for a £1m will probably look to get a replacement for £250k - that’s the one everyone should be looking at…

But hang on…the team selling for £250k will be looking to get a freebie replacement…

😁😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

The team selling for a £1m will probably look to get a replacement for £250k - that’s the one everyone should be looking at…

But hang on…the team selling for £250k will be looking to get a freebie replacement…

😁😁

And of the four scenarios that you mention, maybe one will turn out to be a good deal.

• Like 2