BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

We've played much better this season and lost.

We weren't at our most fluid today, a lot of that was down to how cardiff set up which was very much to frustrate having been mauled by us in the cup game. But also felt we added this to by being sloppy in possession, it led to a scrappy game without a lot of clear cut chances. We had 3 chances all for JRC which shows something.

Positives are that we are looking more secure. Having a keeper that doesn't chuck one in every game helps, Hill makes a big difference at right back giving the side more physicality and tronstad is a proper dm who does a lot of grunt work very efficiently which Wharton hasn't mastered yet. Get a proper championship striker into this side and we should be okay, let's hope that's ennis.

2 more winnable games on the way... onwards and upwards

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Strange old game today. If we have a decent centre forward, we would have walked the game . We are basically playing without one (no false nine stuff).

Goalie, back four and Tronstradt looked comfortable all day. That's a great base to build from.

Attacking wise, Dolan is just miles off it. Genuine basic technical deficiencies. He has set the goal up, can't knock that.

The interesting question is our best player, Wharton. We are poorer going forward, but more solid without him. I love the kid. If we can get a centre forward and get Wharton nearer to him, could be magic.

Interesting on Dolan, yes he put the ball in for JRC to score but what else apart from get the ball pass back or square it, what happened to the lad that took players on for fun.

• Like 5

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Just got home after celebrating the win this afternoon to hear the news about the passing of Sir Bobby Charlton.

Sad news indeed, one of Englands greatest, a truly remarkable player .RIP

Got the news at halftime and posted on here. Such a shame. First game with my dad feeling fit enough to go for some time, and to get the news that one of his heroes had died had him quite deflated the rest of the game.

He didn’t stand up for the goal, let alone celebrate it, just a quick clap. I asked him if he was alright, he just said ‘Doing what Bobby would’ve done. Clap and get on with it.’

• Like 3

Only 2 and a bit league games but I am really liking what I am seeing of Leo Wahlstedt. Fantastic reaction save at the end.

Hill, Hyam and Pickering all did their jobs excellently but what a fantastic performance from Hayden Carter. Cardiff are a big mobile side and Carter handled them exceptionally well.

Tronstad is showing everything we hoped he would be and also handled the physical pressure brilliantly mostly by being too cute to get caught.

Sigurdsson looked well off the pace and Szmodics had a slow burner performance which got better and better.

Brittain did well but ultimately was a right back playing out of position as was JRC who looks increasingly comfortable further forward and could/should have had a hattrick.

Dolan through ball JRC scored off was an absolute peach but sadly for him and us two really sharp chances in the first half didn't threaten a goal nor did that chance with the last kick of the first half.

Ennis continues to show promise.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

With yet more nonsense to put up with from these owners in the window, GB has done a very decent job. But there’s no getting away from the striker issue, and that’s purely on them (not that they give a shit)

Spot on. We just have to look at why they have been fined in their own country. They bought Gary Neville's house and claimed they would be mining and farming on the land.

It's a lie at best.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Strange old game today. If we have a decent centre forward, we would have walked the game . We are basically playing without one (no false nine stuff).

Having our 3 striker injured at the same team is very unlucky. The other one, Telalovic, is obviously a work in progress. 

Thought Meite looked a real handful when he came on, big, strong and quick. 

39 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Goalie, back four and Tronstradt looked comfortable all day. That's a great base to build from.

Yes, they were all excellent. 

39 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

The interesting question is our best player, Wharton. We are poorer going forward, but more solid without him. I love the kid. If we can get a centre forward and get Wharton nearer to him, could be magic.

Wharton was played there (DM) because nobody else could (until Tronstad was ready). Travis couldn't do it last season and Garrett looks like he is being used in the 8 role when playing in the cup. 

I agree about playing him further forward. No reason he can't play where JRC and Travis have been playing, or even as a No10. Nobody else in the team can pick a pass like AW. I'd imagine players like Leonard, Szmodics and Ennis who make good runs would love AW playing further forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

ground out a result today but disapointed we did`nt see the game out easier,cardiff upped their tempo and we lost our composure badly,we also looked shattered as well,not good given we`ve had a long rest,got to agree that the midfield looks more balanced and adam wharton has to have someone defensively covering when he does play

no idea why the cardiff goal was chalked off,i thought you could`nt be offside from a corner??????

About their dis-allowed goal, I think the ref evened up the decissions, because of the blatent push he had not given at the other end. I can't remember who the Rovers player was, but before the corner was taken, he told the ref that it was a definate push that had gone unpunished, at the other end. A clever bit of psychology maybe.

30 minutes ago, philipl said:

Only 2 and a bit league games but I am really liking what I am seeing of Leo Wahlstedt. Fantastic reaction save at the end.

Hill, Hyam and Pickering all did their jobs excellently but what a fantastic performance from Hayden Carter. Cardiff are a big mobile side and Carter handled them exceptionally well.

Tronstad is showing everything we hoped he would be and also handled the physical pressure brilliantly mostly by being too cute to get caught.

Sigurdsson looked well off the pace and Szmodics had a slow burner performance which got better and better.

Brittain did well but ultimately was a right back playing out of position as was JRC who looks increasingly comfortable further forward and could/should have had a hattrick.

Dolan through ball JRC scored off was an absolute peach but sadly for him and us two really sharp chances in the first half didn't threaten a goal nor did that chance with the last kick of the first half.

Ennis continues to show promise.

You get a weird random feeling sometimes with players. Think the Goalie is one

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hill has been really impressive since he's been in the team.

And with Tronstad, Wahlstedt and Sigurdsson also doing the job in recent games, you have to give some credit to the business done over the summer, in fairness.

And he has a long throw which appears to have gone under the radar. It could be a useful weapon in some games.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yeah, he threw one in from in front of the JW in the first half which reached the penalty spot. Naturally, like all our set-pieces, we failed to get a head on it!

There was a wooohhhh from the crowd which I'm putting down to surprise as we haven't had one of them since MGP was here.

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Having our 3 striker injured at the same team is very unlucky. The other one, Telalovic, is obviously a work in progress. 

Thought Meite looked a real handful when he came on, big, strong and quick. 

Yes, they were all excellent. 

Wharton was played there (DM) because nobody else could (until Tronstad was ready). Travis couldn't do it last season and Garrett looks like he is being used in the 8 role when playing in the cup. 

I agree about playing him further forward. No reason he can't play where JRC and Travis have been playing, or even as a No10. Nobody else in the team can pick a pass like AW. I'd imagine players like Leonard, Szmodics and Ennis who make good runs would love AW playing further forward. 

I could see Wharton playing the role Bellingham does for England.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

About their dis-allowed goal, I think the ref evened up the decissions, because of the blatent push he had not given at the other end. I can't remember who the Rovers player was, but before the corner was taken, he told the ref that it was a definate push that had gone unpunished, at the other end. A clever bit of psychology maybe.

It was disallowed apparently as Karlan Grant was stood in front of Wahlstedt obstructing his view.

Seems like their manager accepts it was offside 

Screenshot_20231021-214644.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EgyptianPete said:

Interesting on Dolan, yes he put the ball in for JRC to score but what else apart from get the ball pass back or square it, what happened to the lad that took players on for fun.

Here's the thing though, he set up the winner with a lovely ball. Now tell me what Siggurdson or Szmodics did all game,and yet it's Dolan getting the stick. 

Give the lad a break, he was as good as anyone at QPR, and he's set up the winner today,in a game where Tronstad is getting great credit for doing the simple things adequately. 

• Like 5

• Backroom

Hill’s long throw is a welcome addition, however two criticisms:

It’s a high, looping throw rather than moving like a cross (think Delap).

I’m not sure I like the idea of sending the cbs up, as if it’s a corner.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s where he should be playing. 

I've been saying this for a while; AW would be more effective playing higher up the pitch.

Let him use his vision, passing and technique where he can hurt teams more.

Leave the deeper stuff to players like Tronstad.