BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Cardiff City (h) - 21/10/2023

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It helps that he isnt playing, I sense that only an unfortunate injury would have led to him being dropped but Pears is not a good keeper. That being said, in general beyond the keeper, we arent conceding the number of chances we were during that losing run.

I'd argue confidence in the keeper also plays a part. Yes, Wahlstedt hasn't been here long or played much yet, but I'm more talking about the removal of the lack of confidence that surely the defence had started to feel having Pears behind them. When I played CB we had a cracking keeper (nearly got taken on by Rovers if I remember rightly) and it was such a confidence builder to know the man in the sticks had a good chance of stopping it if you didn't win your tackle, header etc. It alleviates pressure and you can focus on what you're doing better.

Course, I was being tongue in cheek when I said it all comes down to Pears being out. But I'm certain it's helped.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd argue confidence in the keeper also plays a part. Yes, Wahlstedt hasn't been here long or played much yet, but I'm more talking about the removal of the lack of confidence that surely the defence had started to feel having Pears behind them. When I played CB we had a cracking keeper (nearly got taken on by Rovers if I remember rightly) and it was such a confidence builder to know the man in the sticks had a good chance of stopping it if you didn't win your tackle, header etc. It alleviates pressure and you can focus on what you're doing better.

Course, I was being tongue in cheek when I said it all comes down to Pears being out. But I'm certain it's helped.

That is very true. Even last season there were loads of times when the ball went in behind the defence and there were mix ups and there was indecisiveness that may have only led to throw ins or corners but it didnt happen with Kaminski. 

Mind you, as much as having Wahlstedt in net is clearly an upgrade. I am not confident yet in him when it comes to commanding his box. He seems to not like catching the ball.

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Although he was quiet on Saturday one incident summed up Szmodics to me. The Cardiff keeper rolled the ball out to one of the centre halves in the last few minutes. He had a few touches and was looking for a pass under no pressure and suddenly Szmodics sprang from nowhere, sprinted at him and was desperately unlucky not to win the ball which would have put him clean through. That incident drew one of the loudest cheers of the day and spoke volumes about Szmodics and his attitude.

Szmodics has become crucial for us. Have to pray he can stay injury free for the vast majority of the season. He has the application and the ability. Arte et labore.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Szmodics has become crucial for us. Have to pray he can stay injury free for the vast majority of the season. He has the application and the ability. Arte et labore.

Some players hide when they aren't playing well but he doesn't. Szmodics has endeared himself to all Rovers fans who love his attitude. As you allude to he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

He sets the tone for the rest of the team with how hard he works. He plays with all the enthusiasm of a fan, but thankfully with a lot more quality.

Big fan of this guy!

Yeh you are right. He is such a workhorse.  He epitomises JDTs style. Great lad

I've just watched the whole game on Rovers TV.  I can't get to Ewood these days due to circumstances beyond my control. 

I must eat humble pie. Dolan, whom I've slagged off many times, had a very good game and is improving. He must keep his place.

The whole game was enjoyable. I didn't see the tippy tappy football of last season (when our boys were learning their trade under JDT). This was a good game to watch. We play well. And so do Cardiff who seem to be getting it together under this new manager.

Normally I'm quite pessimistic about Rovers but now I think we really are going in the right direction. It's still work in progress but we're getting there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bazza said:

I've just watched the whole game on Rovers TV.  I can't get to Ewood these days due to circumstances beyond my control. 

I must eat humble pie. Dolan, whom I've slagged off many times, had a very good game and is improving. He must keep his place.

The whole game was enjoyable. I didn't see the tippy tappy football of last season (when our boys were learning their trade under JDT). This was a good game to watch. We play well. And so do Cardiff who seem to be getting it together under this new manager.

Normally I'm quite pessimistic about Rovers but now I think we really are going in the right direction. It's still work in progress but we're getting there.

Totally agree with this.

Playing wise, Rovers are in a good place now being able to put on such a solid display with the current unavailabilities. 

Keeper apart, this is not a bad bench to have and good to see Gamble and Atcheson asa Championship game subs.

• 14Ennis
  • 15Gamble
  • 18Markanday
  • 23A Wharton
  • 27Travis
  • 30Garrett
  • 31Atcheson
  • 33Telalovic
  • 34Hilton

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Totally agree with this.

Playing wise, Rovers are in a good place now being able to put on such a solid display with the current unavailabilities. 

Keeper apart, this is not a bad bench to have and good to see Gamble and Atcheson asa Championship game subs.

• 14Ennis
  • 15Gamble
  • 18Markanday
  • 23A Wharton
  • 27Travis
  • 30Garrett
  • 31Atcheson
  • 33Telalovic
  • 34Hilton

Is it not? You've touched on the 2 total rookies. Markanday has flattered to deceive in the main, Garrett has never fully stepped up and Telalovic is clearly not up to it at this stage.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a good Championship level bench? Behave, that bench is exactly why we won’t be challenging by May.

Not all 9 can get on.

Adam Wharton and Trav in their own ways are as good as at least 90% of Championship midfielders. Garrett and Markanday are a lot better than most Rovers supporters give them credit for.

Gamble and Atcheson are there to get minutes had Rovers gone three ahead.

We were without Pears, Moran, Hedges, Leonard and Gallagher from the senior squad plus at least half a dozen youngsters who should now be first team squad are injured. 

• Like 1

This is not a promotion winning squad, and that’s before whatever carnage January brings.

Some very decent players, a very decent manager. But it isn’t enough when the squad is this thin and inexperienced, and unlike all our potential promotion rivals it won’t be strengthened in January (indeed it will be quite the opposite).

Edited by Mattyblue

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

This is not a promotion winning squad, and that’s before whatever carnage January brings.

Some very decent players, a very decent manager. But it isn’t enough when the squad is this thin and inexperienced, and unlike all our potential promotion rivals it won’t be strengthened in January (indeed it will be quite the opposite).

How much weaker would you consider the squad to be if the following was all that happened in January?:

Adam Wharton sold

John Buckley recalled

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A fair bit weaker, but not calamitously so. However, it certainly won’t be stronger like our rivals will be - something we’ve learnt the hard way two seasons in a row.

I agree it wouldn’t be stronger - and yes we’ve learnt how important January is.

As someone whose seen neither of the players I mention play, I was interested to see how bad a ‘trade’ you thought that would be.

Thank you for your reply 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2023 at 22:07, M_B said:

Here's the thing though, he set up the winner with a lovely ball. Now tell me what Siggurdson or Szmodics did all game,and yet it's Dolan getting the stick. 

Give the lad a break, he was as good as anyone at QPR, and he's set up the winner today,in a game where Tronstad is getting great credit for doing the simple things adequately. 

Belated reply, but i DID say what happened to the lad we got from Preston

• Like 1

On 25/10/2023 at 10:02, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s two months away. Mike Newell came back from a broken leg quicker than that

I’m really concerned about the number of players we have who are unavailable for selection. Are the medical team at the club up to the task ?. 

Funny how players are unavailable through injury , when the team is struggling....

• Like 1